Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

4 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I had a thought about Alford this morning as I was driving to work: It seems to me, that if you look at his 20 year career record and trajectory, it is exactly the type of record that everyone is afraid a young, unproven guy like Archie or Holtmann, etc. will end up with. If you would not be happy with one of those guys having that type of record at IU for the next 10-20 years, why would we hire someone who has 20 years of evidence.

I get all of the arguments about the places he has coached, but it seems to me that the really good coaches elevate their programs to a different status.

He is a proven commodity and its not good. Exactly why I am not worried about IU hiring him.

4 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I had a thought about Alford this morning as I was driving to work: It seems to me, that if you look at his 20 year career record and trajectory, it is exactly the type of record that everyone is afraid a young, unproven guy like Archie or Holtmann, etc. will end up with. If you would not be happy with one of those guys having that type of record at IU for the next 10-20 years, why would we hire someone who has 20 years of evidence.

I get all of the arguments about the places he has coached, but it seems to me that the really good coaches elevate their programs to a different status.

Exactly.   Marshall, Mike White, Holtmann, Mack - all find ways to elevate their team.  Alford's teams were always mediocre and lose to teams they shouldn't, just like Crean.   Just say NO to Alford.  

5 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

So we know IUs AD budget is around 100 million. What is the thunders budget? Anyone have a clue?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Not really a good comparison. The Thunder's budget (whatever it is) all goes to one team. IU's budget is split into men's and women's teams in a wide range of sports.

9 minutes ago, Travis Scott said:

I have 15 guys on a text thread waiting for a "Board Report®" this morning.  Time to reach out to your friend's sister's cousin-in-law's hairdresser to see what's going on today!

14. Like you, I come direct to the second/third/fourth hand source (as sullied as it may be).

Not really a good comparison. The Thunder's budget (whatever it is) all goes to one team. IU's budget is split into men's and women's teams in a wide range of sports.

Correct but IU doesn't pay players, just staff, unlike the Thunder. My question I guess was how much of a budget does the Thunder have after paying the players?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Alford elevated Manchester, SWM and certainly NM. He did not elevate Iowa, true. 3 out of 4 ain't bad but we only see the Iowa failure. If Archie went from Dayton to say, Creighton, then to Colorado and won at a .700 clip but didn't go to a Final Four or win a national title but won several conference tournaments and outright conference titles, would we say his record is no better than Crean? Would we say his record shows he cannot succeed? Maybe some would. I think the arguments for and against Alford are largely too far in either direction. Those who blindly think Alford is the chosen one and will bring IU back to the 80s are met with derision and an equally polarizing and not entirely fact-based stance that Alford's coaching record is somehow abysmal or mediocre and no better than Crean. Clearly, the numbers do not lie, but feelings do. I think the potential of Alford at IU is statistically (and by this i mean what are the odds) somewhere between Crean-level and "elite". He COULD come to IU and be totally pedestrian, or he could come here and rip off some conference titles and a couple 30 win seasons and have us in the Final Four by 2022 with a lot of in-state talent. I think the feelings on both sides of the Alford argument are clouding things. Alford's resume is neither paltry nor is it truly inspiring. It is, however, well above average and I think claiming that Alford's record shows he doesn't have what it takes, is both not seeing his resume for what it is, particularly at certain points- very impressive, but also projecting that what he did at Iowa 10-15yrs ago is the real sample of his ability all the while betting the farm that two great seasons authored by Tony Bennett (not picking on him just an example) somehow cast a long imminent path of brilliance (input any candidate with a good but not great resume, which is everyone except Marshall and Donovan). I am NOT saying I want Alford over everybody else, but I feel like every time his coaching record is disparaged it ought to be rebutted, just a little. Would we hope Archie will have a better coaching resume in 15 years? Sure, if he is at IU. If he isn't, what is the relevance? The way I see it- coaches can be good, bad, okay, etc...but coaches also get some breaks, good and bad.