Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

58 minutes ago, IUsafety said:

Billy Donovan doesn't like recruiting from what I understand. Would it be be unheard of for a head coach to not recruit, or do very little of it, and let his assistants take care of that? Obviously he would have some input as into who he wants.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Where did you hear that?

if it were Marshall, don't you think it'd be done by now?  They've had 3 days to announce after his loss...

Look at what Illanoy did, Underwood lost with Ok St. and they had him on a plane and in Champaign the following day. Makes me think that our next coach is still coaching somewhere.

Please not Alford!
Billy D for me!!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

23 minutes ago, biteoftheapple said:

I am against Alford for these same reasons . But, it was many years ago, ge has had time to reflect, it is possible he has learned that he was wrong, and does regret his actions. That vveing said, please discard Alford , if just because of his coaching record. It is a lateral move.

As recently as 2013 at UCLA Alford still maintains that he was just doing what the administration and lawyers told him to do. BS. He lied then and he was still trying to duck any blame as recently as 2013...

http://www.ocregister.com/articles/alford-502628-pierce-iowa.html

"That was an incident that happened years ago at the University of Iowa and all I can tell you with that situation is I followed everything that the University of Iowa, the administration, the lawyers that were hired, I did every thing I was supposed to do at the University of Iowa in that situation. I followed everything that I was told to do," Alford said.

1 hour ago, tablegrapes said:

What can Alford say now about the Pierce fiasco that could change anything in that department? Fall on the mercy of the court and say he made big mistakes and has learned from it? Apologize to the people directly affected? That is not going to be part of his homecoming narrative if indeed it happens.

That story is just an inherent part of his baggage now and always will be. If IU hires him, they are hiring him and the baggage. Nothing he can do to change the past.

Fall on the mercy of the court? Are you inferring he was charged with a crime? Gosh, i thought I disliked Crean.

1 hour ago, Demo said:

You're right, and I've never understood those schools, particularly UCLA, compromising themselves for a B- coach. If you're gonna make a deal with the devil, the payoff better be a sure thing. When West Virginia brought in Huggie and his baggage, at least they brought in a legitimately great Coach. Payoff was obvious. Alford? Not even close.

Just to play devil's advocate, what would people's reactions be if Bob Huggins showed up on the list? It would give me a lot of pause.

35 minutes ago, Hoosier in NC said:

I will be highly disappointed in Glass and the IU administration if Alford is hired.  I just don't see how anybody with a mother, sister, daughter, grandmother, etc. can stand behind a guy that defended a rapist and then tried to get the victim to go away. Deplorable in my book.

Alford didn't defend a rapist. He defended a man he believed to be innocent who ended up being a rapist. Maybe that's just semantics to you, but it's a key distinction imo. 

3 minutes ago, schoosier said:

Fall on the mercy of the court? Are you inferring he was charged with a crime? Gosh, i thought I disliked Crean.

Perhaps the court of popular opinion. Again, there's no excuse... while Alford cannot change the narrative at this point, he has yet to even admit that he totally screwed the pooch.

2 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Alford didn't defend a rapist. He defended a man he believed to be innocent who ended up being a rapist. Maybe that's just semantics to you, but it's a key distinction imo. 

IF that were truly the case, why would he turn on the victim? Why would he attempt to get her to back down/drop the charges? Clearly he was trying to keep his star player on the team and out of jail... irrespective of the facts of the case... he belongs at UCLA with their legacy of thumbing their noses at the NCAA and the judicial system. Wooden looked the other way when Sam Gilbert was doing his deeds... and Alford is no better.

#NeverAlford

Had the Iowa incident never happen and Alford had a perfectly clean slate as far as that goes, I would still never even consider Alford. His 20 plus year resume way too similar to Crean. Iowa was not upset to see him go, they've had more success prior to him and after him. New Mexico was not crying when he left. UCLA will not be upset if he were to go. He comes to IU we're stuck with him forever. How Alford is being considered by anyone is beyond me. He was a great basketball player for us and that's it. 18 year old kids don't even know who he is as a player they could care less if he won a championship here. There are lots of great coaches that could recruit with IU resources and being in the Midwest, the idea that Alford can lock the state up is ridiculous. He could recruit the state no better than any other coach on our list.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Let's assume for a second Alford innocently supported Pierre Pierce, believing he truly was innocent. And now let's assume for a second that he truly thought the victim needed the counsel of a priest and God's wisdom to aid her.

1) Why did the priest need to go talk to her if Pierre was innocent as Steve emphatically claimed?

2) Assuming he's an innocent do-gooder just trying to help, then he's a complete and total moron for taking such a hardline stance on the innocence of Pierce without knowing all the facts and for sending a priest to go talk to her. What professional doesn't understand the importance of perception?

Assuming Alford is actually a great guy, I don't want a complete imbecile leading our program.

1 minute ago, AZ Hoosier said:

IF that were truly the case, why would he turn on the victim? Why would he attempt to get her to back down/drop the charges? Clearly he was trying to keep his star player on the team and out of jail... irrespective of the facts of the case... he belongs at UCLA with their legacy of thumbing their noses at the NCAA and the judicial system. Wooden looked the other way when Sam Gilbert was doing his deeds... and Alford is no better.

#NeverAlford

I don't think that if Alford truly knew that his guy was guilty of what he was accused of that he would've done the things that he did. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not that terrible of a guy that he would work so hard to keep a guy he knew was a rapist out of jail to win basketball games. I think he went to bat for someone that he honestly believed in and got burned because he trusted the wrong person. He deserves criticism for the way he handled it, but imo saying "he defended a rapist" implies that he knew Pierre Pierce was guilty, didn't care, and still defended him. Maybe that really was what happened, but all the reports make it seem like he believed Pierce was innocent. 

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I don't think that if Alford truly knew that his guy was guilty of what he was accused of that he would've done the things that he did. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he's not that terrible of a guy that he would work so hard to keep a guy he knew was a rapist out of jail to win basketball games. I think he went to bat for someone that he honestly believed in and got burned because he trusted the wrong person. He deserves criticism for the way he handled it, but imo saying "he defended a rapist" implies that he knew Pierre Pierce was guilty, didn't care, and still defended him. Maybe that really was what happened, but all the reports make it seem like he believed Pierce was innocent. 

What does sending a priest to counsel the girl on whether or not to press charges imply?