Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

16 minutes ago, seihoosier said:

Wow.  Marshall stands out in that list.  Too bad his wife stood out Sunday.  

Yeah, that is the only instance of weird personality stuff that people don't want anymore with their coach. Hyperbole is such a fun way to argue a point, why try to represent what other people say when you can make it look like their argument is dumb. 

3 minutes ago, mdiu28 said:

The noise wouldn't have gotten this loud if true. Also, he would've said that when asked about returning to college. 

1 minute ago, NCHoosier said:

I refuse to believe that Glass is hitching his wagon to Alford and this makes sense if you consider how everything went down this morning.

I think this plays a large role in what we are now hearing.  BD is trying to keep his team united and make a postseason run.  He is still under contract with OKC and would not anything disrupting the locker room currently.

Maybe I'm over-optimistic, but I'd rather be that then trying to justify the alternative.

No offense, but you guys are making these narratives up.

Just now, hoosierpap said:

No offense, but you guys are making these narratives up.

Yes, I left out I.M.O.  The post has been edited.

I did not intend in any way to lead on that I have sources confirming my beliefs.

24 minutes ago, johnsoniu said:

Last 6 years Kenpom AdjD( 2017- 2012):

Mack- 65, 22, 57, 76, 62, 49

Marshall- 13, 1, 15, 11, 20, 26

Miller- 41, 15, 31, 72, 145, 158

Cronin- 16, 16, 16, 9, 15 , 24

Interesting,.. where do Alford, Bennett and (for reference sake) Crean stand?

IU would probably only want the noise level down if they are worried it will affect the deal.  Once it is signed they wouldn't care or might even want a little more noise because that could lead to Thunder telling Donovan to take a hike before the playoffs.

1 minute ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

well, Virginia is looking better. I was thinking Bennett's offense wasn't above average. Boy, i was wrong on that assumption. I thought his team was ALL DEFENSE. That isn't the case at all. He is averaging 27. impressive.

The offensive dip this year seems pretty clearly linked to the graduation of Malcolm Brogdan. 

2 minutes ago, ALASKA HOOSIER said:

well, Virginia is looking better. I was thinking Bennett's offense wasn't above average. Boy, i was wrong on that assumption. I thought his team was ALL DEFENSE. That isn't the case at all. He is averaging 27. impressive.

Statistically, Bennett, Marshall, and White look pretty impressive - especially Tony B.

DeCourcy's article hits it on the head for why we DON'T NEED Alford.  The last couple paragraphs

Since 1980, 37 NCAA championships have been decided; only five were won by coaches working at their alma maters. Which means 86.5 percent of championship coaches arrived with little or no connection to the college hiring them.

It would be an entirely different college basketball world if John Calipari were the coach at Clarion, Mike Krzyzewski were coaching Army and Beilein worked his offensive magic at Wheeling College. This is rather an absurd scenario, of course, but that is the logical extension of hiring a head basketball coach primarily because of where he attended college.

But Wheeling would have a hell of a team.

OK, DeCourcy, how many coaches were actually coaching their Alma mater TOTAL?

Need a bit more perspective on that.

3 minutes ago, Tom White said:

OK, DeCourcy, how many coaches were actually coaching their Alma mater TOTAL?

Need a bit more perspective on that.

Why do you need more perspective? The point is, being an alumnus of any given school doesn't make you qualified to win national championships at that school .....it doesn't take a famous former player to make the program click again .... it didn't with Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Florida, Louisville, or even Indiana during that time frame ... it took a great coach, which #12 is not .....

So many clearly better options than Alford, it makes me sick that it seems like he's the front runner.

1. If he's not an IU great he's NEVER even mentioned
2. More or less paid UCLA to not fire him last year, why would you even consider a coach that almost got fired if you are truly concerned with consistency and deep runs and championships
3. Iowa is not a bottom feeder in the conference, they have had plenty of success prior to Alford, if he was so great of a coach why were his Iowa teams not good
4. If IU is his dream job, which I think is a safe assumption that it is, and IU still loves him why has it taken 20+ years to even consider bringing him over at any capacity
5. Why would you even consider a coach with a 20 year resume very similar to Crean

Alford makes no sense at all other than he was a good basketball player 30 years ago under a HOF coach. The media is so clueless and just think it's a good storyline and I honestly am beginning to think many of them want IU to stay mediocre. Which is mind boggling. Alford would be the worst thing to happen to IU basketball, if he is hired IU will have the same results we had under Crean until Alford retires, they will not fire him.

4 minutes ago, Cheaney40 said:

Why do you need more perspective? The point is, being an alumnus of any given school doesn't make you qualified to win national championships at that school .....it doesn't take a famous former player to make the program click again .... it didn't with Kansas, Duke, Kentucky, Florida, Louisville, or even Indiana during that time frame ... it took a great coach, which #12 is not .....

Exactly my point.  To that same point, just because Donovan has 2 NCAA rings doesn't mean he'll get a third, but we'd all be DARN happy seeing him announced as the new coach, now wouldn't we? 

Edited by seihoosier