Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

CrossboneIU22

Welcome Coach Miller

1 hour ago, HoosierTrav said:

Seriously....kids in Indiana aren't singing the Steve Alford song. Good coaches win consistently, no matter where they are. Period. Alford lost 17 games last year and like Crean, has done plenty of losing with NBA talent on his rosters. This year's success can almost entirely be attributed to having Lonzo Ball. A freshman pg who is being compared as a bigger and better scoring Jason Kidd. The notion that guys will do better if given the chance at an elite program is bs. We need not look any further than Tom Crean. His inconsistency didn't improve by taking a much higher profile job. If Alford was an elite coach, we'd have seen it long ago.

I'm 36, and my memories of Steve Alford are minimal at best ....kids 1/2 my age aren't going to give a flip about what he did 30 years ago, they want to know 1) what kind of shoes will I be wearing at your school?  2)  will I be on TV  3) can you get me to the NBA?

I don't think Steve Alford helps in any of those areas.  

43 minutes ago, RTJ85 said:

UCLA fans don't even want Alford. That's telling.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basketball/2017/3/19/14977182/have-indiana-hoosiers-offered-ucla-bruins-steve-alford-a-7-yr-31m-contract

"So, let me get this straight. According to this report, Adidas is about to get suckered into paying UCLA another $7.8 million to take our basketball coach of questionable moral character who has never made it past the Sweet 16 off our hands? Now, this is an Adidas check that Dan Guerrero should send Tyus Edney to cash!"

You know how to tell this isn't true . . . Even if SA was worth that kind of money, IU wouldn't make that kind of offer.   They could offer SA a hot dog and water (no ice) and he would sign on the dotted line.

20 minutes ago, Cheaney40 said:

I'm 36, and my memories of Steve Alford are minimal at best ....kids 1/2 my age aren't going to give a flip about what he did 30 years ago, they want to know 1) what kind of shoes will I be wearing at your school?  2)  will I be on TV  3) can you get me to the NBA?

I don't think Steve Alford helps in any of those areas.  

Exactly. I hope Glass realizes this. Hiring Alford would be purely emotional. If he didn't play for IU, we wouldn't even be talking about him right now. 

Kids could care less about what a coach did 30 years ago. And in all honesty, I don't think they give two poops about our history. They don't want a history lesson on a recruiting visit, they want to hear how they'll win and get to the NBA. The history is nice, but it's 2017 - they don't care. They just want to play, compete for Championships, be seen and possibly be prepared for an NBA career. 

I know if Steve Alford walked into my living room, followed by Billy Donovan - it's not even close who I'd want my son playing for. I pray Fred thinks like this too. 

1 minute ago, BigCatHoosier said:

You know how to tell this isn't true . . . Even if SA was worth that kind of money, IU wouldn't make that kind of offer.   They could offer SA a hot dog and water (no ice) and he would sign on the dotted line.

(no ice) :)

I would be happy with Alford if he was our 6th or 7th choice and all the guys before him were approached about the job and declined. There are some positives to him and I think he could do good things here. If he was one of the first 2 or 3 guys on our list though, no bueno. 

51 minutes ago, RTJ85 said:

UCLA fans don't even want Alford. That's telling.

http://www.bruinsnation.com/ucla_basketball/2017/3/19/14977182/have-indiana-hoosiers-offered-ucla-bruins-steve-alford-a-7-yr-31m-contract

"So, let me get this straight. According to this report, Adidas is about to get suckered into paying UCLA another $7.8 million to take our basketball coach of questionable moral character who has never made it past the Sweet 16 off our hands? Now, this is an Adidas check that Dan Guerrero should send Tyus Edney to cash!"

After reading through the many comments on that article, all I can say is wow.  Imagine how unliked a coach has to be to have his team in the position UCLA is at this time, with an incoming class as highly ranked as the one they have coming next year and have fans eagerly anticipating his departure and gleefully speculating on possible replacements.

I've looked around at a number of teams message boards and have yet to see a single poster from a non-IU site opine that SA would make us any better than what we have been recently.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I would be happy with Alford if he was our 6th or 7th choice and all the guys before him were approached about the job and declined. There are some positives to him and I think he could do good things here. If he was one of the first 2 or 3 guys on our list though, no bueno. 

Man, that would say A LOT about IU if we had 5 or 6 coaches decline the job .... could you imagine?  We'd have to admit we're as delusional as everyone says we are at that point, right?  

I don't think that will happen but.....man that would be rough!