Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Naismith

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO NORTH CAROLINA'S NCAA VIOLATIONS???

Based on the research I've been doing, the legal team representing UNC has been doing a really good job of stalling for as long as possible and in the meantime, the school has racked up legal bills totaling close to $6MM... But supposedly it's a matter of WHEN, not IF the hammer comes down on UNC. The real question will be, how severe will the sanctions be? Some independent investigators say the fraud includes over 100 student athletes and stretched back to the mid to late 90's. If so, UNC is looking at potentially vacating championships and Final Four appearances as well as recruiting, scholarship, and post season implications. At this point it's all a waiting game.  

Football program will get hit. Nothing will happen to the bbal team other than losing a few scholarships maybe. No final fours will be vacated. None.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Here is a very interesting article about an NFL players agent that has now been convicted of paying UNC football players in 2007 while they were still in school. I don't know if the NCAA will reopen this investigation or not, at the least it should influence the current academic cheating case. 

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/unc/article145007249.html

On ‎04‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 5:50 PM, recker222000 said:

Football program will get hit. Nothing will happen to the bbal team other than losing a few scholarships maybe. No final fours will be vacated. None.

Why do you think that? All the research I've done says the death penalty is coming for the bball program as well.

Why do you think that? All the research I've done says the death penalty is coming for the bball program as well.

NC and old roy are cash cows. The ncaa is not giving up that revenue. There will be no penalties for mens bbal and you can bank it.

40 minutes ago, recker222000 said:

NC and old roy are cash cows. The ncaa is not giving up that revenue. There will be no penalties for mens bbal and you can bank it.

Eh.. With all the evidence out there, including statements given by former basketball players, I don't see how the NCAA can sweep this second round of allegations under the rug.

Eh.. With all the evidence out there, including statements given by former basketball players, I don't see how the NCAA can sweep this second round of allegations under the rug.

I don't think anyone is debating whether it will happen. I think many people lost faith in the NCAA many moons ago. If the NCAA actually punishes UNC they'll have to remove several basketball national championships which has never been done before. I think UNC gets punished equivalent to "sit in the corner for 5 minutes."

14 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I don't think anyone is debating whether it will happen. I think many people lost faith in the NCAA many moons ago. If the NCAA actually punishes UNC they'll have to remove several basketball national championships which has never been done before. I think UNC gets punished equivalent to "sit in the corner for 5 minutes."

I think they will pull a Syracuse and punish them, but not really.   They will vacate Wins between May 1st 2009 and some date in the future that does not include this past season.  

So just like Syracuse it looks like they are punished, but in reality not really.  

14 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Here is a key part of the ESPN article referenced above :

Sankey's letter also details a new timetable of completion for the oft-delayed case. UNC must respond to the latest charges by May 16. The NCAA enforcement staff then has until July 17 for its own response. Sankey wrote that his panel will hear the case in August with "anticipated" dates of Aug. 16 and 17.

Rulings typically come weeks to months later.

The focus of the case is independent study-style courses misidentified as lecture classes that didn't meet and required a research paper or two in UNC's formerly named African and Afro-American Studies (AFAM) department. They featured significant athlete enrollments and typically high grades.

The difference is other than laying down like a wet noodle like iu did they are fighting it hard. Iu is a cash cow also but without a fight was an easy target to nail. What UNC did is way worse than iu but I suspect the penalty will be much less.