Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

hoosierpap

First Tom Crean Interview Post-Indiana

Quote from Crean on locking down in-state recruits:

"Here’s the thing about recruiting, in Indiana or anywhere else: You better know what you’re navigating," he said. “It’s easy to paint with a broad brush, which is something fans do… It’s a business, so I know when a shoe company gets involved, know when a side deal gets cut with the family or a significant person in the family, I know those things. Every recruit is a case study onto itself. I don’t play in a naïve world. I made sure people who need to know know what we were dealing with. You have to have people, and this part moving forward is something I’ll pay attention to, is who’s lived a little bit what we’re dealing with. You’ve got to have somebody who gets it. Walls (around the state) are really hard to put up because it’s a two-way street."

Shocking to many I'm sure, but I'm sure Indiana kids play the games that ruled them out of Crean's recruiting strategies...

"I don’t think there’s any question that I had earned it (the extension)," Crean said. "You look at the landscape of college basketball, there’s really no question and I was surprised at that. But here’s the thing with all of that: I knew it wasn’t coming and I had some other opportunities (to coach elsewhere), but I just didn’t want to leave. I was so committed to our players. That’s not coach-speak. That’s something you feel in your heart."

He earned the extension, knew he wasn't getting it, and had other opportunities he didn't pursue. That pretty much sums up his coaching abilities without even referencing them.

Re read the articles and honestly Im a little ticked. Crean had 2.5 good seasons out of 9. Take responsibility for once. You failed! Yes, you failed. Thank the University for the opportunity(and $30Million). Quit making excuses. Wouldnt meet with Glass?  Really, giving all your IU clothing away? How lame. Come on Crean show some class here.

Crean just has a personality that really irks me. He's incredibly arrogant and deflects blame. "I don’t think there’s any question that I had earned it (the extension)." "There’s got to be a partnership and it’s got to last through thick and thin. If it was all about winning and losing, I’d probably have gotten a different contract a year ago." Like really man? You had one really good year after two bad ones and there's "no question" you deserved an extension? Glass wanted to wait to see if you could be consistent, and you showed this year that you can't. Idk what else he wanted Glass to do to show they were on the "same page." He paid him a top-ten salary and gave him the conference's highest recruiting budget. Ugh. Tom Crean's one guy I'm not sad to see leave. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Crean just has a personality that really irks me. He's incredibly arrogant and deflects blame. "I don’t think there’s any question that I had earned it (the extension)." "There’s got to be a partnership and it’s got to last through thick and thin. If it was all about winning and losing, I’d probably have gotten a different contract a year ago." Like really man? You had one really good year after two bad ones and there's "no question" you deserved an extension? Glass wanted to wait to see if you could be consistent, and you showed this year that you can't. Idk what else he wanted Glass to do to show they were on the "same page." He paid him a top-ten salary and gave him the conference's highest recruiting budget. Ugh. Tom Crean's one guy I'm not sad to see leave. 

I mentioned the same thing yesterday. How can a coach honestly expect an extension after one good year? Especially since the two years before were putrid