Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

DChoosier

Article- IU still an Elite job?

Think this article does a good job summing up the IU job.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2017/03/18/insider-sleeping-giant-iu-return-national-stage/99347796/

This line in the article is perfect:

“It’s weird, because I think the fan base thinks it’s (a better job) than it is, but at the same time, they sort of still deserve that level of coach and that level of program.”

To use a football analogy I think we are like Alabama and Notre Dame 10 or so years ago.  Both "Bluebloods" sank but Alabama made the home run hire and got back to where they were and where the old time fans thought they should be.  A different story at Notre Dame. Saban went from good college coach, to pros back to college.......Sounds like a good path for Billy D.

Edited by DChoosier
Added content

I love the Alabama/Notre Dame analogy, as I see the same with IU and Kentucky. Now, why their timelines aren't as parallel, Kentucky was in the crapper with a bad coach (Gillespie) they knew at the time they shouldn't have hired, after a mediocre run with a mediocre coach (Tubby). Then they decided they had to go for broke and hire the best damn coach available and did what they had to do to hire Calipari (interestingly, another college to pro back to college guy). And now it's IU's turn, if we truly feel we are among that top 5 tier and not just a strong, very good program. Hate to use a hackneyed phrase, but we, like Kentucky before us, need to go big or go home. I'm tired of hearing about Bennett, Miller, et al. All chips in on Donovan. This is a monumental opportunity.

IU has not been consistently relevant for 20, no 30 years. Like mutual funds disclaim past history does not predict future performance. Actually, the last 5 consecutive years has proved the best accolade period in those 30 years. A Big Ten Champion, Coach of the Year, #1 ranking, wins over Kansas, Kentucky, and North Carolina, and multiple NCAA Tournament appearances. Hopefully Glass hires a proven Final Four contender -Brad Stevens or Billy Donovan. Not ex-local players!

12 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Coaches view it as an elite job.  What some writer says or thinks has no bearing on anything.  IU is absolutely a top 10 job in the country, and with well over 300 D1 basketball teams, top 3% pretty much makes it elite,  There's nothing Indiana needs that it doesn't have; and the recruiting base within 200 miles of campus is among the best in the country.  Huge home court advantage, all scholarships endowed, unlimited budget, rabid fan base, terrific facilities, one of the best campuses in the country, support of administration, and an incredible history.   Recent winning does not make an elite position.  The position itself does; and there is no question Indiana is an elite job.  Indiana has not been an elite team consistently for the last 20+ years, but that means nothing relative to the job.   Writers are writers.

Actually the writer quotes a number of people that agree it is an elite job and the tone is very positive in regards to what IU offers.