Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Aaron

Another good reason Crean is gone:Limiting media coverage team was getting

Listening to a podcast with Alex McCarthy on Crimson Cast and apparently Crean was not giving the media access needed to properly cover the team and he told various negative stories he and other media members covering the team had. I also have heard Dakich and JMV say they were not given proper access to talk to players on Indy radio (and this seems accurate given how many more Purdue and Butler players they have on their show). If this is the case (and I have every reason to believe it is given certain people I know in the media who have told me this) it's another rock in Crean's shoe and a good reason we have made a change as making yourself available to media and putting the team out there for fans to interact with is very important.

If Crean won big this is not a big deal but when you are not winning and not letting your team be properly covered at the same time it creates a huge problem in terms of likability fans have of the team.

Good then. As a former sports and news reporter, I sympathize with fellow media members who have their access to people important to their stories limited. Hopefully the new coach will be more receptive in this area.

24 minutes ago, Tom White said:

It wasn't just the players they didn't have access to. Crean was never on their shows, while Painter and Holtmann were each on at least once a week.

Precisely and that's a huge problem either because of fear or arrogance. When you are willingly giving your 2 biggest competitors more coverage you are not doing something right. Like I said when you win big that's no big deal but when your not it is another major reason he needed to go. You cannot limit the interaction fans are given to your team through the media and its one of the reasons the Indy media was recently treating IU as 'A college team in the state' instead of 'THE college team in the state' despite being the most popular one (I've written about this before).