Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But Troy played the 4 for the most part. I just think we are at our best with Smith at the 4 and Morgan the 5. I don't buy into the "banging down low makes Morgan tired"... I don't know who he really had to "bang" with that wore him out. Hopefully Smith can develop on the perimeter, as you've mentioned. Versatility is a great attribute to have. 

 

He ended up playing the four primarily during his freshman (with Hartman as the starting center!) and sophomore years because we didn't have many options up front and had some good guard options.

By the time we reached the Sweet Sixteen during Troy's junior year our best lineup was Yogi, RoJo, Troy/Zeisloft at the three, OG, Juwan, or Collin at the four, and TBryant/Max at the 5.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If Smith and Green are really significantly improved we really are Romeo and a serviceable big from being very dangerous. 

Hopefully Moore and Race are ready

November can't come soon enough 

This summer I will get over there to take a look for myself. I just asked so I could give some quick updates about how the spring is going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes Morgan has been there but everyone knows what he brings so not as big a deal. I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring. 

Green doesn’t really have any guard competition in practice. I guess Al, but imo he isn’t great. Hopefully it carries over to game situations against big ten worthy guards.

Remember now, I’m Green’s biggest cheerleader. The talent is there. Just not sure he really gets tested in practice.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

 

He ended up playing the four primarily during his freshman (with Hartman as the starting center!) and sophomore years because we didn't have many options up front and had some good guard options.

By the time we reached the Sweet Sixteen during Troy's junior year our best lineup was Yogi, RoJo, Troy/Zeisloft at the three, OG, Juwan, or Collin at the four, and TBryant/Max at the 5.

 

I would have considered Hartman and Troy's position essentially the same. A lot of why Troy could move around was because Bryant, Hartman, and Zeisloft could all bury the 3 ball, so that created space for him to drive. If we get a grad transfer big, and Smith plays the 3.. or more of the 3... that grad transfer HAS to be able to be a dribble drive threat and stretch the floor. It will not work with another lane clogger like Davis. I am really glad Archie was able to hold onto Smith. He's going to be a stud for us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:


Green doesn’t really have any guard competition in practice. I guess Al, but imo he isn’t great. Hopefully it carries over to game situations against big ten worthy guards.

Remember now, I’m Green’s biggest cheerleader. The talent is there. Just not sure he really gets tested in practice.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Agree not much competition.. but least he is playing well. It would be an awful sign if he were not playing well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:


Green doesn’t really have any guard competition in practice. I guess Al, but imo he isn’t great. Hopefully it carries over to game situations against big ten worthy guards.

Remember now, I’m Green’s biggest cheerleader. The talent is there. Just not sure he really gets tested in practice.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

As somebody who has never coached how do you help a player develop consistency. 

I know we have some coaches out there?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

As somebody who has never coached how do you help a player develop consistency. 

I know we have some coaches out there?

Also you have to want it for yourself as bad as the coaches want for you. Green needs to live in Cook hall this summer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also you have to want it for yourself as bad as the coaches want for you. Green needs to live in Cook hall this summer. 

He can't be "interested" in becoming a good player anymore, he needs to be "invested." If he spends most of his wakening hours in Cook Hall his consistency will be there because he can't afford it not to be, he will be invested. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Also you have to want it for yourself as bad as the coaches want for you. Green needs to live in Cook hall this summer. 

This.  The coaches, teammates, and fans can want it all day long but until Green takes ownership and wants it for himself he'll be just an average player.  He has the ability to be very good but that'll only happen when he puts in the work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yes Morgan has been there but everyone knows what he brings so not as big a deal. I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring. 

Love to hear this kind of thing, especially about Smith so keep it coming.  I think Smith making a huge jump is the key to us being a semi-legitimate final four contender.

However, it seems like our practice all stars have often failed to pan out.  I remember how great Hollowell apparently looked in practice before his sophomore year.  I also remember at least one person saying Curtis Jones was our best player last summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

 

Well heck; Juwan, Race, Clifton, Al, Justin, and DeVonte are the current spring standouts?!?

That is quite literally every single returnee that is not Achilles-injury disabled!

We rock!  ;)

I wasnt as high on Smith as most of you but boy was I glad to be wrong. I think hes going to have a very good IU career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Love to hear this kind of thing, especially about Smith so keep it coming.  I think Smith making a huge jump is the key to us being a semi-legitimate final four contender.

However, it seems like our practice all stars have often failed to pan out.  I remember how great Hollowell apparently looked in practice before his sophomore year.  I also remember at least one person saying Curtis Jones was our best player last summer.

I watched CuJo last summer and he looked good. He just couldn't adapt to a structured offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I watched CuJo last summer and he looked good. He just couldn't adapt to a structured offense. 

 

Bingo - and that's why I am a little underwhelmed by the comments (from some) about Green working on his skills. Not that hard work on skills isn't a good idea; it is. But DeVonte is already really skilled and talented. 

What he needs is to watch a truckload of game film, get a whole lot more in-game experience, and accept coaching willingly to develop discipline and decision-making.

I am optimistic because I (think) I saw him turn the corner into becoming a much more mature player during the second half of last season in a way that I didn't think was possible. If that progression continues he's gonna be big time, because he is talented, tough, and fearless.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

 

Bingo - and that's why I am a little underwhelmed by the comments (from some) about Green working on his skills. Not that hard work on skills isn't a good idea; it is. But DeVonte is already really skilled and talented. 

What he needs is to watch a truckload of game film, get a whole lot more in-game experience, and accept coaching willingly to develop discipline and decision-making.

I am optimistic because I (think) I saw him turn the corner into becoming a much more mature player during the second half of last season in a way that I didn't think was possible. If that progression continues he's gonna be big time, because he is talented, tough, and fearless.

 

The Devonte we saw for that 6 game stretch is a PG that can lead a final four team. Let's hope he can put it all together

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think people forget that Devonte was only a sophomore who needed a lot of coaching and development to become a starter. He wasn’t a McDAA ready to hit the floor and impact the game. Any other team would have him as a backup learning his role to take over as an upperclassman instead of asking him to start and contribute day one freshman and sophomore year.


Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×