Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

The chances of either Anderson or Forrester being rotation contributors as freshmen is slim.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Probably right. but Forrester has more of a chance because he's at less of a risk to hurt you. Anderson could be exposed quick. 

Yeah, I've weighed in on this before but if we don't add anyone to the front court we'll struggle.

Davis: not exceptionally athletic Big coming off an Achilles injury
Forrester: frosh big, don't count on a freshman Big to contribute. Few rarely do

Thompson: could contribute but is more of a 4.
Moore: expecting an Oladipo like jump to be serviceable

I expect Morgan and Smith to be more than solid. My fear is Morgan wearing done over the course of the season.

If I had to play a freshman Big or freshman wing I'd probably feel better about the wing. He doesn't have to adjust the the physicality of the Big Ten as much.

Hopefully we'll be able to add another contributor at either position.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

11 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

A top 100 recruit in his second year isn't talent?

The only player in your list in his second year is Moore, so what service are you going by to say he's top 100?  Rivals was 133 and 247 composite was outside the top 150.  ESPN?  They had him at 70 in just the East region.

https://247sports.com/player/clifton-moore-46035751

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2017/clifton-moore-181473

Yeah, I mean, it’s hard to project how much “talent” he’ll bring to the table since we haven’t seen him play, but he does have an entire year of practice and workouts under his belt. Could be a real X-factor.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

3 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:

So he's top 100 if you conveniently ignore the places that didn't have him ranked at all.  At that point we're not going to see eye to eye.

He wasn't ranked because he reclassified. 

But if you wanna ignore that little fact it would make perfect sense to discredit the kid. 

37 minutes ago, JSHoosier said:
So he's top 100 if you conveniently ignore the places that didn't have him ranked at all.  At that point we're not going to see eye to eye.

He participated in the NBPA top 100 camp last June. Every article that came out after he committed referred to Race as a top 100 kid but top 100 is just a number. All that matters is last year during evaluations the staff prioritized him as one of their top targets and the staff got their guy

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

56 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

But if you wanna ignore that little fact it would make perfect sense to discredit the kid. 

Exactly.  Here is an article that refers to him when he signed.  Notice it refers to him being a 4 star 2018 recruit at 247, checking the rankings now, the third ranked player in Minnesota is rated 48th nationally.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/7/16/15979392/2018-basketball-recruiting-four-star-power-forward-race-thompson-commits-to-indiana-hoosiers

You can't find his national ranking now since he reclassified, but I clearly remember him being ranked in the 80s at 247.

1 hour ago, Brass Cannon said:

Further proof:  IU athletic website refers to him being ranked at #71 by one of the services.  He absolutely was a top 100 player for 2018.

http://iuhoosiers.com/roster.aspx?rp_id=9472

2 minutes ago, brumdog45 said:

Exactly.  Here is an article that refers to him when he signed.  Notice it refers to him being a 4 star 2018 recruit at 247, checking the rankings now, the third ranked player in Minnesota is rated 48th nationally.

https://www.btpowerhouse.com/2017/7/16/15979392/2018-basketball-recruiting-four-star-power-forward-race-thompson-commits-to-indiana-hoosiers

You can't find his national ranking now since he reclassified, but I clearly remember him being ranked in the 80s at 247.

He was reranked by the 247 team and had him in the 80s of 2017.  Rivals didn't rerank him for 2017. So when 247s composite calculated his composite it was like he was unranked. 

We thought the same about Moore last year.

Yeah I’m not counting any freshman, except those like Romeo, as contributors until they start playing some college ball. We can’t be in a position where we’re hoping that a freshman who isn’t a surefire NBA prospect is going to change our fortunes.

1 minute ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Yeah I’m not counting any freshman, except those like Romeo, as contributors until they start playing some college ball. We can’t be in a position where we’re hoping that a freshman who isn’t a surefire NBA prospect is going to change our fortunes.

Yep. If they are ready to come off the bench great. Can't ever be the plan.