Jump to content

Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, DChoosier said:

 


Not saying you are wrong but what exactly leads you to believe that Moore has loads of potential? He is clearly, thank goodness, not a Tijan but at this point I am not real sure about his upside.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

 

You don't just show up on a mock draft in the 1st round as a relative unknown without having upside. I believe that was very premature and its why he hasn't been on another one for awhile, but he has the talent, he just doesn't have the strength or confidence yet. Heck he may never get it, but Archie is a guy that if Moore believes in him could live up to at least a little bit of it. I also really liked his high school tape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
You don't just show up on a mock draft in the 1st round as a relative unknown without having upside. I believe that was very premature and its why he hasn't been on another one for awhile, but he has the talent, he just doesn't have the strength or confidence yet. Heck he may never get it, but Archie is a guy that if Moore believes in him could live up to at least a little bit of it. I also really liked his high school tape.
I'd be shocked if Moore was back next year. Smith, Davis, and Morgan will eat up most of the minutes at forward. Race may be in the mix as well.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The point is all those players were ranked similar to Moore coming out of high school. Some were hits, some were misses. Moore appears to be a miss after his first season.

I know you are "Go Colts" and have a reputation to uphold though so I won't hold it against you.

Whatever, dude.   That's un-necessary, and I will very happily provide you with several years of evidence to the contrary on this board.  That's a cheap shot at best and says a lot more about you than it does me.   

My point had nothing to do with rankings.  If yours did, good for you.  You compared a Mr. Basketball to Crean's looking for a diamond in the rough, which is nuts; but if pointing that out means I'm upholding a reputation, that's what it means.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here. Go Colts pointed to Moore (#151) as an example of "diamond in the rough" Crean recruits that don't work out and I responded with similarly ranked guys who have had success at IU.

We both agreed that Moore would have found a way to get minutes this year if he was any good.

Feel free to leave old business 7 years in the rear view mirror there, Boogaloo.  Not sure who you're trying to impress with this, however I'm quite sure my reputation here can stand on its own merit save 2-3 guys.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I will pick out a problem with the bolded portion. Find me an instate replacement for Sheehey in the 2010 class within 2 hours of Bloomington. I don't see one.

I don't know what your definition of "highly rated" is. Devin Davis #155 on 247, about the same as Moore. Davis found a way to get on the floor his freshman year. Moore obviously didn't.

You're talking rankings.  I'm not.  There are players every season around here who would or could have given us what Sheehey did over 4 years.   i also didn't limit it to in-state. 

But for giggles and examples..., Terone Johnson was a combo guard from Indy; Aaron Craft was from Findley, OH (maybe 2:45); Russell Byrd from Ft. Wayne; James Siakam from Carbondale, IL (went to Vanderbilt), Donnie Hale from New Albany, Josh Sewell from Louisville..plus a couple dozen kids from the Indy metro area who are 6'5"ish who can play a whole bunch.   Sheehey was fine; but he wasn't someone we needed to go to Florida to find.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheehey was fine; but he wasn't someone we needed to go to Florida to find.   

Look, I think every time you say something like this, it’s just arrogant. Sheehey was who he was. He was on our team, made some solid contributions, won that tourney game against VCU, and was a fun player. We didn’t have Aaron Craft. We didn’t have anyone else. They played for some one else. It’s just a weird revisionist history.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:


Look, I think every time you say something like this, it’s just arrogant. Sheehey was who he was. He was on our team, made some solid contributions, won that tourney game against VCU, and was a fun player. We didn’t have Aaron Craft. We didn’t have anyone else. They played for some one else. It’s just a weird revisionist history.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I don't care one bit what you think.  I've been around high school and AAU basketball for 20 years and my opinions are formed based on experience with that.  It's not like I'm making things up based on nothing.   Sheehey made solid contributions.  I never said he didn't.   I said we didn't have to go to Florida to find a kid who would make solid contributions, and it's an example (whether you like it or not) of Crean recruiting in areas he never needed to.  He was fired in no small part because he spent wildly on recruiting and didn't produce results.  That's fact. Not arrogant.  Think whatever you want.  I couldn't care less.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Ajwhitis said:

Tonight I watched Jaelan Sanford from Toledo, who has been rumored to be graduating early and would consider IU if that were to happen. He's a 6-4 guard from Evansville. 

Pros:

  • Sneaky athleticism, he almost plays 35 minutes a game
  • Smooth shot, shooting 40 percent from 3
  • Gets to the line, 85 percent from free throw
  • Spreads the floor really well
  • Good vision, drive and kick ability is impressive
  • Quick dribble
  • Quick shot release 
  • Can finish through contact, he had two and-1's tonight

Cons:

  • Questionable defensively, gave up 27 points to Eugene German, to be fair he's leading the MAC in scoring
  • 4 TO's, averages 1.5 per game
  • Not a great rebounder, but had 7 tonight
  • Was hesitant to shoot at times

If I had to make a reasonable comparison, I would  say a Nick Zeisloft type, who can't shoot quite as well but he is more athletic and mobile than him. Similar in-game IQ. I think him playing off the bench would be valuable, and would add much needed shooting to the lineup.

Archie could improve his defense. Sign him up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Old Friend said:

You're talking rankings.  I'm not.  There are players every season around here who would or could have given us what Sheehey did over 4 years.   i also didn't limit it to in-state. 

But for giggles and examples..., Terone Johnson was a combo guard from Indy; Aaron Craft was from Findley, OH (maybe 2:45); Russell Byrd from Ft. Wayne; James Siakam from Carbondale, IL (went to Vanderbilt), Donnie Hale from New Albany, Josh Sewell from Louisville..plus a couple dozen kids from the Indy metro area who are 6'5"ish who can play a whole bunch.   Sheehey was fine; but he wasn't someone we needed to go to Florida to find.   

Wow.. Hale was awful. TJ was 6'3 not 6'6 like WS. Craft was a PG not like WS. Byrd avg 1.4pts for his career, wtf man. 

Horrible examples. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

You don't just show up on a mock draft in the 1st round as a relative unknown without having upside. I believe that was very premature and its why he hasn't been on another one for awhile, but he has the talent, he just doesn't have the strength or confidence yet. Heck he may never get it, but Archie is a guy that if Moore believes in him could live up to at least a little bit of it. I also really liked his high school tape.

Upside has little to do with college. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Upside has little to do with college. 

I agree, but the disconnect between a projected first round pick and a 12th man on a .500 college basketball team is unreal. I’m very curious what’s going on with Moore - it’s not like Crean is the only one who saw him as a potential superstar.


Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Wow.. Hale was awful. TJ was 6'3 not 6'6 like WS. Craft was a PG not like WS. Byrd avg 1.4pts for his career, wtf man. 

Horrible examples. 

 

 With the benefit of Hindsight, Maybe. You can't tell me what any of those guys would have done in Indiana's system, and I promise you I left out A couple hundred kids. there are really good basketball players all over Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Southern Indiana, And Southern Illinois. if you add an hour or two, You will find even more. every year.

 Tom crean spent more money on recruiting than any coach in the Big Ten when he was here. His penchant for spending other people's money was a large part of the reason he was fired. That is a fact.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Ajwhitis said:

Tonight I watched Jaelan Sanford from Toledo, who has been rumored to be graduating early and would consider IU if that were to happen. He's a 6-4 guard from Evansville. 

Pros:

  • Sneaky athleticism, he almost plays 35 minutes a game
  • Smooth shot, shooting 40 percent from 3
  • Gets to the line, 85 percent from free throw
  • Spreads the floor really well
  • Good vision, drive and kick ability is impressive
  • Quick dribble
  • Quick shot release 
  • Can finish through contact, he had two and-1's tonight

Cons:

  • Questionable defensively, gave up 27 points to Eugene German, to be fair he's leading the MAC in scoring
  • 4 TO's, averages 1.5 per game
  • Not a great rebounder, but had 7 tonight
  • Was hesitant to shoot at times

If I had to make a reasonable comparison, I would  say a Nick Zeisloft type, who can't shoot quite as well but he is more athletic and mobile than him. Similar in-game IQ. I think him playing off the bench would be valuable, and would add much needed shooting to the lineup.

Actually, Sanford's 3 PT% is pretty much right in line with Zeisloft before he came here.  Both were about 38% for their career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Old Friend said:

Jordan Hulls was Mr. Basketball.   Come on...

OG had a terrific AAU season between junior and senior year.  He was a 4* recruit in some services.  So was Morgan.  Sheehey was nobody he couldn't have found within 2 hours of Bloomington.   Devin Davis was also highly rated.   None of the players on your list other than maybe Anunoby have out-performed their ranking.  Oladipo was a 3^ who became the college basketball player of the year and #2 draft pick.  

Can't agree with any "if's."   If my aunt had a sack, she'd be my uncle.   

 

46 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

 With the benefit of Hindsight, Maybe. You can't tell me what any of those guys would have done in Indiana's system, and I promise you I left out A couple hundred kids. there are really good basketball players all over Indianapolis, Cincinnati, Southern Indiana, And Southern Illinois. if you add an hour or two, You will find even more. every year.

 Tom crean spent more money on recruiting than any coach in the Big Ten when he was here. His penchant for spending other people's money was a large part of the reason he was fired. That is a fact.

 

 

 

lol - congrats to your aunt on the nutsack.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×