Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

I don't disagree, but looking at just next season, Al is better then nothing. IF Romeo does the right thing and IF this Sanford rumor is true, then AD is looking at 3min a game. But if not, then we only have 2 scholarship guards beside him. As much as I want to believe Hunter is a SG, I'm not sold on that yet. I guess what I'm saying is: I hope the roster improves so much for next year that Al moving on is obviously mutually beneficial. Seems like a great kid and I hope the best for him. 
I agree we need guards and hopefully we nab some grad transfers. I just don't see either Moore or Durham as big ten players. Typical crean recruits who actually were ranked where they should be.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Stuhoo said:

Dunno if it's true, but on Toledo's official team website, they note that Sanford "routinely guards the other team's top scorer."

Sign him up. He looks to have a better shot than anyone on our current roster. If he can play the 1 also, this gives him an opportunity for even more PT.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Ahh.. we are comparing the talent at Dayton to that in which he should have at IU. Gotcha.. also.. you realize two of those tourney teams he had runs with at Dayton had 1-2 players hurt on each?

Again.. We have room and PT for Sanford. He could start, probably not... you can call it three guards if you want, but Romeo again is 6-5 or 6-6. We'd hardly struggle against bigger lineups. 

So what about talent level. Regardless of talent level its silly to play your 10th best player wheb you can just play your 6th more minutes

2 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

So what about talent level. Regardless of talent level its silly to play your 10th best player wheb you can just play your 6th more minutes

Romeo

Morgan

Green

McRoberts 

Smith 

Davis 

Hunter 

Thompson 

Phinisee

Sanford

Do you see any sort of talent drop off there?

4 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Archie doesnt use deep lineups opting to go 7 maybe 8 deep. 

3 guys to 2 positions is about right. With Mcroberts also. And wanting to play Damezi and Hunter some at SG. 

We're replacing Curtis Jones, Robert Johnson, and Josh Newkirk with Robert Phinisee as of now.  

Per a recent interview, Hunter has already been told he's a 3.  The plan may be for Damezi to be a 2 eventually, but he won't be ready next year.

We need another guard for shooting, even if we end up getting Romeo.  I'd like this pickup a lot.

13 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

We're replacing Curtis Jones, Robert Johnson, and Josh Newkirk with Robert Phinisee as of now.  

Per a recent interview, Hunter has already been told he's a 3.  The plan may be for Damezi to be a 2 eventually, but he won't be ready next year.

We need another guard for shooting, even if we end up getting Romeo.  I'd like this pickup a lot.

Exactly. Seems like a no brainer, and it keeps class sizes manageable. 

34 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

We need a big more than a SG if we are getting Romeo

Thompson, Davis, Smith, Hunter, Forrester, Morgan, and Moore?

All of them will play plenty at the 4 and the 5. (Yes I realize Hunter will play on the perimeter, but there will still be plenty of times he can create a mismatch at the 4)

So.. with that group.. why would need another big guy? 

Thompson, Davis, Smith, Hunter, Forrester, Morgan, and Moore?
All of them will play plenty at the 4 and the 5. (Yes I realize Hunter will play on the perimeter, but there will still be plenty of times he can create a mismatch at the 4)
So.. with that group.. why would need another big guy? 

Green/Phinisee
Langford/Durham
McBob

If we land Romeo I'd prefer to get a 5th year grad transfer that could possibly start at the 5 or pickup 15-20 minutes there. I guess a lot depends on which grad transfer is available and how CAM sees the returning players and recruits developing over the summer.

Thompson, Moore, and Forrester could all use another season where they learn behind Davis, Morgan, and a possible grad transfer. If one of them could step up and get 15-20 minutes that would help with the rotations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Green/Phinisee
Langford/Durham
McBob

If we land Romeo I'd prefer to get a 5th year grad transfer that could possibly start at the 5 or pickup 15-20 minutes there. I guess a lot depends on which grad transfer is available and how CAM sees the returning players and recruits developing over the summer.

Thompson, Moore, and Forrester could all use another season where they learn behind Davis, Morgan, and a possible grad transfer. If one of them could step up and get 15-20 minutes that would help with the rotations.

I'll be shocked if Thompson isn't ready to go. You left Smith out along with Hunter. From what you have seen of Durham, you don't think we need an upgrade? What if a guard gets injured... we'd have no one. 

I'll be shocked if Thompson isn't ready to go. You left Smith out along with Hunter. From what you have seen of Durham, you don't think we need an upgrade? What if a guard gets injured... we'd have no one. 

I believe we'll see a lot of Hunter and Smith on the wing with a little time with Smith at the 4.

I see Romeo playing a lot of minutes. Anderson could get run at the 2 also. McBob will get time on the wing too.

There will be a lot of crossover in positions besides the point and the true big.

8 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

I believe we'll see a lot of Hunter and Smith on the wing with a little time with Smith at the 4.

I see Romeo playing a lot of minutes. Anderson could get run at the 2 also. McBob will get time on the wing too.

There will be a lot of crossover in positions besides the point and the true big.

Smith has shown little wing skills. Hunter and him will both play plenty of the 4. Anderson or a guy that's already avged 17 3 and 3? Idk.. we're just seeing our team way differently. No big deal. 

I go to Toledo and don’t watch every game and follow the basketball team all that closely but I do go to a couple games a year and watch a few if they are on tv. Last year Sanford played a lot of pg for Toledo and this year he plays mostly at the 2. I think he’s more athletic and a better defender than Zeisloft plus he is a better ball handler. 

Side note: my roommate worked with the basketball team last year and I would jokingly tell him to get in his ear about taking a grad transfer year to IU

3 hours ago, HoosierAloha said:

I disagree about Durham. I think he'll be a solid upperclassman with good skill. Is he there now? No, not close. He has shown the ability to hit runners going to the rim and has recently knocked down a couple 3s. I think he'll be counted on as a lockdown defender and finisher. If he's our 10th, 11th, 12th or 13th best player we're doing alright. I always want to have one developmental guard on the roster.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Agree with you.  And, probably most importantly, Archie appears to be sold on him and the direction his development is going.