Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

I know Yogi did but Newkirk can't even hold Yogi's jock.

Yogi was a great Senior but he was equally frustrating his first 3 years. Out of all the years Crean was here we had one really good season by a PG. I wouldn't crucify the player that was our best player the last 6 weeks just yet. At some point you have to look at VJ, Yogi, and Newkirk making the same plays that frustrate and point to coaching on the drive, jump, and turnover.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yogi was a great Senior but he was equally frustrating his first 3 years. Out of all the years Crean was here we had one really good season by a PG. I wouldn't crucify the player that was our best player the last 6 weeks just yet.

He showed a lot of heart at a time several others mailed it in.I like the kid.Who knows what happens when a former high level point gets him in practice.

9 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Yogi was a great Senior but he was equally frustrating his first 3 years. Out of all the years Crean was here we had one really good season by a PG. I wouldn't crucify the player that was our best player the last 6 weeks just yet. At some point you have to look at VJ, Yogi, and Newkirk making the same plays that frustrate and point to coaching on the drive, jump, and turnover.

Yup Yogi really redeemed himself his senior year and cemented himself as an IU legend. His first three years he was a good player on bad teams. No one will ever remember much about them because his senior season was so good. I want jbj to come back next year and do the same thing. 

Just now, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Yup Yogi really redeemed himself his senior year and cemented himself as an IU legend. His first three years he was a good player on bad teams. I want jbj to come back next year and do the same thing. 

His first year he was the starting point with Watford, Hulls, Vic, and Zeller. So 2 years he was the best player on a bad team :)

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

His first year he was the starting point with Watford, Hulls, Vic, and Zeller. So 2 years he was the best player on a bad team :)

Oops haha my bad I forgot about that. The Zeller years seem so long ago that I forget Yogi and him were both here together for a year. 

Yogi had some more work to do. Your leader doesn't try to get into bar with a fake ID and get caught on the biggest night in Btown. He would've had plenty of blanket parties back in my day. 

This! I get that normal 18-22ish year old young men don't think about leading others. However, when you're the starting point guard at IU you have to be a leader. We got about 1/2 year of true leadership from the point guard position in all of Crean's time at IU.

Crean did a lot of talking about leadership but was poor at identifying and developing it. I'm hoping CAM is much better at this. A true leader at the PG spot can elevate a good team to a great one. This is one of the reasons I'd like to take Phinisee as one of the 2018 PGs and let him develop before taking over as a junior.

Exactly

Sent from my SM-T377V using Tapatalk

Really good read from Hutch in the Anderson Herald-Bulletin and the scholarship problem CAM still facing.  He cites Priller and Gelon as who many, if not most, feel aren't scholly worthy.  But he then adds:

"...Two (Priller & Gelon) easy potential solutions.

But here’s the reality when it comes to showing players the door at Indiana — You can’t do it.

Three years ago, athletic director Fred Glass unveiled IU’s Student-Athlete Bill of Rights, which guarantees that every athlete will have a four-year scholarship commitment. According to the Bill of Rights, “no athletic scholarship will be reduced because of injury, illness, physical or mental condition, or on the basis of a student-athlete’s ability, performance or contribution to the team’s success.’’

Worth noting in this article that he does not make any reference to any possible player transfers out.

So if both JBJ and RoJo elect to return................!

Full article at:

http://www.heraldbulletin.com/opinion/terry-hutchens-column-iu-playing-numbers-game-with-scholarship-compliance/article_dc1de452-304c-11e7-b2ed-2710e47a5d48.html

31 minutes ago, 8bucks said:

Legend is way to big a word for him for me but I grew up on the tail end of the undefeated team and was in school for the 87 championship and 92 FF teams. Guys that led their team to great heights and had a lot of success every year fall into the legend category for me.

Yeah that's true looking at like the entire program's history. Legend for the younger generation I would say though, or at least close to it. Part of it is his name imo. You say it and everyone automatically knows who you're talking about. 

IU hasn't had much success since I've been around so guys like Yogi, Cody, and Victor are up there at the top for me. Of course there are many IU players that accomplished much more than them but it's just harder for me to see those other guys as legends since I never got to see them play.