Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

4 hours ago, 8bucks said:

Newkirk made more plays for himself than for others. He had more playing time but he really seemed to have nice spark for us down the stretch (when RoJo was providing very little). I think Newkirk making plays is often forgotten because he was not doing this for others or consistently during the year.

Green made some plays for others that no one else did and it will be good if that increases as he gets more time.

Agreed.  Newkirk emerged as a play maker but I'm torn as to whether it was a cause, reaction or a little bit of both as it relates to the lack of teamwork on the offensive end. I believe Green should get more time next season, but I'd like to see a healthy split between the two provided CAM does what I believe he will do...get them focused on making plays for others!

4 hours ago, goonaha said:

I'd suggest looking at second round picks from the last few drafts before emphatically saying no or that there's a 0% chance. Crazier things have happened than taking a flier on a great college scorer who you expect to shoot 40+% from 3 as a pro. 

I would suggest you take a look at some of the guards projected to go back half of the 2nd round.

It would be silly to say there is a 0% chance he gets drafted but it's pretty close.

On 5/1/2017 at 2:54 PM, Brass Cannon said:

To be fair Archie might be able to teach him some fundamentals

He is a very untalented player.  If he doesn't have fundamentals to begin with and he's a senior, I"m not sure what teaching them would do.  Put those minutes elsewhere.

17 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I didn't like Newkirk at first, but he outplayed Rojo and Blackman down the stretch. He was no slouch in high school. Rated pretty high as well. I would like to see him with the new coaching staff before I right him off. He has game!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using BtownBanners mobile app

As was I and I'm still on the fence about him. I'm curious to see what a real basketball coach who played D1 as a PG could do with Josh.

Newkirk definitely lost us a couple games this year but in the end he improved and think the problem ran deeper than himself.

Interested to see what Miller can do with him. He showed raw flashes of talent throughout the year. With a little discipline in his decision making, think we could get a lot more from him.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

9 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Mark Cuban says it's better to go undrafted then to get drafted in the 2nd round. Undrafted players can get guaranteed contracts, 2nd round draft picks I guess can't? But I thought Lance Stephenson got one from Larry Bird a few years ago. Maybe it's the choice of the owner-GM.

The way I understand it is that some teams will offer guaranteed contracts to 2nd Rd. draft picks if they wish. Others will draft a player in the 2nd Rd. to be stashed in the D-League and only eligible to that team. If the player does not wish to do this then they can tell the team that they don't want to be drafted by them, which I heard actually happened with Yogi. The reason to decline this option is that if you go undrafted you then have the freedom to choose your spot rather than being at one team's mercy.

32 minutes ago, Alford Bailey said:

And finishing at the rim. Or at least draw the foul.

I lost track of how many times I watched him dribble under the basket and then pass it to the perimeter. Shoot the ball!!!

6 minutes ago, IUsafety said:

Thomas Bryant to participate in the 5 on 5 at the NBA Draft Combine. JBJ and RoJo not even included on their list of top prospects not accounted for or not invited.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2017-nba-draft-combine-unofficial-invitee-breakdown-5909/

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Interest for TB. 5 on 5 scrimmages or whatever they call it seem to be tough for big guys. It's hard to read how good they are because there's no structure and they don't have the ball in their hands much. 

48 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Interest for TB. 5 on 5 scrimmages or whatever they call it seem to be tough for big guys. It's hard to read how good they are because there's no structure and they don't have the ball in their hands much. 

Will he have an official to cry to? Sorry, but that drove me nuts because it was ALMOST EVERY SINGLE CALL...

13 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

Will he have an official to cry to? Sorry, but that drove me nuts because it was ALMOST EVERY SINGLE CALL...

For his sake I really hope someone told him to knock it off. It flys in the NBA, but only when you're a star. 

23 minutes ago, hoosierbannerd said:

Most NCAA and NBA players should be happy I'm not a Ref. A player might get ONE warning during a game, but other than that I'd be calling Tech's when they break into their displays of drama after each call.

I just get sick to death of the whining and showboating.

2 minutes ago, Woodson1980 said:

That was one of creans famous plays.Drive jump in the air going out of bounds and pass to someone who may or may not catch it.God I loved that one.

You missed a part of that play.  Hope the person that caches it is wearing the same color jersey as you.