Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Oversigning because some guys are going to the NBA is one thing, oversigning because you don't want to grant Matt Roth or Colin Hartman a 5th year is another entirely to me. IMO, Crean fostered an atmosphere where guys felt they had to move on or graduate early, or that their spot wasn't safe. I think that's partly why recruiting began to fall off. 
For instance, I believe that Crean was still the coach that there is no way Hartman is coming back, and I think that's a mistake. Same thing with Roth in 12-13. 

Crean did say in a press conference Hartman could come back if he wanted to. Roth got a raw deal in his situation ( yes I know he got a grad degree) but still he should of been able to play his last year

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I understand oversigning players but I don't like it. I also think there are advantages to not oversigning. Like mentioned above, you're not sending a message that you need to be gone after 4 years. If there is a scholarship available then reward a walkon.

We lacked senior leaders for most of Crean's tenure due to NBA departures, transfers, or not having a scholly available. Fourth and fifth year seniors can provide valuable leadership that a new frosh can't.

We might be losing only one scholarship player to the NBA yet Crean was still recruiting '17. Who would have gone? Hartman seemed to be one of them (fifth year senior leadership).

Have a solid 8-9 man rotation with players 10-12 willing to either work and wait their time or just bust their butt preparing the rotation players. Bag a scholly for a grad transfer or a high level spring commit. We need roster balance and upperclassmen to provide real leadership.

Just looked at today's NBADRAFT.NET  update.

At 28th OG is barely hanging on to the first round.  TB,JBJ and Rojo are not listed in the first or second round.  Hopefully they will stay but who knows, they might look at undrafted Troy and Yogi and think "that could be me".  

FWIW 8 of the projected top 20 picks are from just three schools (Duke, UCLA, UK).....none of which made the FF.

Edit: meant to say 8 of the top 20 picks are from 2 schools and Kentucky.

5 minutes ago, DChoosier said:

Just looked at today's NBADRAFT.NET  update.

At 28th OG is barely hanging on to the first round.  TB,JBJ and Rojo are not listed in the first or second round.  Hopefully they will stay but who knows, they might look at undrafted Troy and Yogi and think "that could be me".  

FWIW 8 of the projected top 20 picks are from just three schools (Duke, UCLA, UK).....none of which made the FF.

Draftexpress is the site you need to be looking at. OG is 15 and TB is 41. With all due respect, nbadraft.net is garbage.

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Draftexpress is the site you need to be looking at. OG is 15 and TB is 41. With all due respect, nbadraft.net is garbage.

Thanks.

i have no idea who does a better job predicting the draft.

Yeah, I think some of these cats think I'm a Crean fan lol!

I was just trying to be funny. Seemed like everything was taken too seriously. Most of the time I'm just joking around and trying to have fun on here. This site is my escape from the serious world out there.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

3 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Oversigning needs to burn in a pit of fire. All it does is alienate players, coaches and recruits

I would dance a jig the B1G banned oversigning.  Won't happen, but I wish it would.

Absolutely. Crean and IU were clear what he had to do and gave him every bit of help during his probationary period. Crean wanted him to be a part of that class more than most of the movement. To insinuate he ran him off is asinine.

Okay, in your eyes that was asinine. Summer classes were done and fall semester was starting and we still had too many players. Tell me, where was the scholarship coming from if someone wasn't ran off?

Okay, in your eyes that was asinine. Summer classes were done and fall semester was starting and we still had too many players. Tell me, where was the scholarship coming from if someone wasn't ran off?

A player was coming off of scholarship and paying for it themselves.

Not what I would call a credible source on Facebook. Just a huge IU fan like us that follows them very closely. He acted like it was a done deal and thanked the big guy for his time here. I was just wondering if anybody else was seeing this anywhere because I am not seeing it anywhere.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Donovan to iu was was a done deal per multiple internet sources. Mist sources are worthless.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Donovan to iu was was a done deal per multiple internet sources. Mist sources are worthless.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

Not really. Just when you start listening to people on a message board. The media that was saying Alford was like recruiting analysts. One person goes with it and people follow. The whole coaching search Bozich, Osterman, and reporters that follow IU on a daily basis were calling out all of the silly rumors.

Final NLI signing date for 2017-2018 season is May 17th.

Final day to withdrawal your name from the NBA Draft is May 24th.

Therefore, oversigning is a necessary part of college basketball recruiting. Really not much discussion needed. Hope CAM can avoid it as much as possible, but it's not going anywhere, in my opinion.

As for stockpiling scholarships, it makes sense to withhold one or two instead of signing a class of 5+ kids, but I'd rather invest a scholarship in a four year player who is comfortable learning and playing major minutes as an upperclassmen than withhold it to avoid oversigning.

100 % agree

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners