Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

What are the chances with the timing of this recruitment of the 6’10 kid that this is for Juwan Morgan’s spot and Morgan wasn’t expecting to leave, so now Archie scrapping the barrel for height?

Probably not, BUT it does look like odd timing and a reach on talent.

Also hard to believe a kid like this would bother transferring into a backup role. Why not go someplace where he could maybe start?

Are we sure we have the right kid?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners
He seems like a backup with those stats. Not a major minutes guy.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Hopefully he’s Max Bielfeldt part deux

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Hopefully..but I don’t see it. Max had experience in a major conference and national championship experience as well. 

8 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

St Mary’s has been really good the past three years.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah but the competition is non-existent besides Gonzaga and BYU a couple times per year. That’s why his stats are alarming to me. I’ll trust Archie if he brings him in though.

3 minutes ago, goonaha said:

If he does commit, I'm sure it'll just be for a 10 minutes a game role. Set a few screens, hit a pick and pop 3 and get back to the bench while Juwan takes a breather.

I had high hopes for Priller in this role last year and was wrong. If Clifton can’t us those minutes, why is he at IU? I think Forrester can give us 10. This recruit is a head scratcher; why not wait and see if someone else comes available or reclassifies?

Oh I must have looked at the wrong players stats. The stats I looked at was a bench player. I retract the question

he will have options. He can either be a role player on a B1G team where hopefully he can do the same things that can make a difference in winning games or he can go to a mid-major program and be the star. Regardless of his stats he is going to have options. I’ve watched St Mary’s quite a bit during his time there. He isn’t the type of person that is going to jump out at you with his stats but I’ve seen him have productive games. The question i would have can he be a role player on a B1G team the competition he played at St Mary’s wasn’t great. There average Non conference SOS is close to 300. Either way if CAM and staff want him then it works for me

I asked before and I think I know the answer already.....if Romeo commits, do we have any scholarships left?  If Romeo commits, then isn't a moot point on transfers unless someone else were to leave?

Anyway, in terms of Finzer, if you are concerned about him playing against better competition, then it's probably best to look at his numbers at St.Mary's against better teams.

In games against what I would consider to beat the best ten St.Mary's played last year (New Mexico St, Georgia, California, Gonzaga x2, BYU x3, Washington, and Utah), his stats were:

G  10  MPG 21.2  FG 27/60 (45%) 3 FG 10/23 (43%) FT 5/5 REB 41 PTS 69  PPG 6.9 RPG 4.1

So against level of competition that we would want to compete against close to Big Ten level, he did well enough (7 points, 4 rebounds in 21 minutes per game).

I asked before and I think I know the answer already.....if Romeo commits, do we have any scholarships left?  If Romeo commits, then isn't a moot point on transfers unless someone else were to leave?
Anyway, in terms of Finzer, if you are concerned about him playing against better competition, then it's probably best to look at his numbers at St.Mary's against better teams.
In games against what I would consider to beat the best ten St.Mary's played last year (New Mexico St, Georgia, California, Gonzaga x2, BYU x3, Washington, and Utah), his stats were:
G  10  MPG 21.2  FG 27/60 (45%) 3 FG 10/23 (43%) FT 5/5 REB 41 PTS 69  PPG 6.9 RPG 4.1
So against level of competition that we would want to compete against close to Big Ten level, he did well enough (7 points, 4 rebounds in 21 minutes per game).

yes if Romeo commits we still have one scholarship available (Curtis Jones leaving opened up an extra). Finzer started his official visit last night

11 hours ago, brumdog45 said:

That is helpful thanks. IU has several options for back-up Centers....not sure who the starter will be. 

Let's assume Langford comes to IU and Morgan comes back. At that point IU has a lot of talent in those two guys, Smith, Green (if he settles down), Hunter, etc. At that point adding players is about fit and how they compliment those guys. 

You need defenders, rebounders, guys that can hit open 3's/stretch the floor and good character guys. I've never seen Finzer play, but if at 6'10" he can defense the post, handle the defensive rotations, rebound and shoot 40ish% from 3, then I think it's a great fit. If he's some resemblance to the role Bielfeldt played in '16, then it could be a great, really underrated signing if it happens. 

That is helpful thanks. IU has several options for back-up Centers....not sure who the starter will be. 

Not saying you’re wrong and I’m right but what little I have seen of him (it’s been very little) he doesn’t look to be guarding the other teams “center/big man”. May very well be better off as a perimeter player. But again, I could be totally wrong here. Just doesn’t look like a center to me. Moves like a big 3 or 4