Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

3 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Also you have to want it for yourself as bad as the coaches want for you. Green needs to live in Cook hall this summer. 

This.  The coaches, teammates, and fans can want it all day long but until Green takes ownership and wants it for himself he'll be just an average player.  He has the ability to be very good but that'll only happen when he puts in the work.

5 hours ago, Chris007 said:

Yes Morgan has been there but everyone knows what he brings so not as big a deal. I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring. 

Love to hear this kind of thing, especially about Smith so keep it coming.  I think Smith making a huge jump is the key to us being a semi-legitimate final four contender.

However, it seems like our practice all stars have often failed to pan out.  I remember how great Hollowell apparently looked in practice before his sophomore year.  I also remember at least one person saying Curtis Jones was our best player last summer.

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

Well heck; Juwan, Race, Clifton, Al, Justin, and DeVonte are the current spring standouts?!?

That is quite literally every single returnee that is not Achilles-injury disabled!

We rock!  ;)

I wasnt as high on Smith as most of you but boy was I glad to be wrong. I think hes going to have a very good IU career.

35 minutes ago, HoosierX said:

Love to hear this kind of thing, especially about Smith so keep it coming.  I think Smith making a huge jump is the key to us being a semi-legitimate final four contender.

However, it seems like our practice all stars have often failed to pan out.  I remember how great Hollowell apparently looked in practice before his sophomore year.  I also remember at least one person saying Curtis Jones was our best player last summer.

I watched CuJo last summer and he looked good. He just couldn't adapt to a structured offense. 

14 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

I watched CuJo last summer and he looked good. He just couldn't adapt to a structured offense. 

Bingo - and that's why I am a little underwhelmed by the comments (from some) about Green working on his skills. Not that hard work on skills isn't a good idea; it is. But DeVonte is already really skilled and talented. 

What he needs is to watch a truckload of game film, get a whole lot more in-game experience, and accept coaching willingly to develop discipline and decision-making.

I am optimistic because I (think) I saw him turn the corner into becoming a much more mature player during the second half of last season in a way that I didn't think was possible. If that progression continues he's gonna be big time, because he is talented, tough, and fearless.

17 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Bingo - and that's why I am a little underwhelmed by the comments (from some) about Green working on his skills. Not that hard work on skills isn't a good idea; it is. But DeVonte is already really skilled and talented. 

What he needs is to watch a truckload of game film, get a whole lot more in-game experience, and accept coaching willingly to develop discipline and decision-making.

I am optimistic because I (think) I saw him turn the corner into becoming a much more mature player during the second half of last season in a way that I didn't think was possible. If that progression continues he's gonna be big time, because he is talented, tough, and fearless.

The Devonte we saw for that 6 game stretch is a PG that can lead a final four team. Let's hope he can put it all together

I think people forget that Devonte was only a sophomore who needed a lot of coaching and development to become a starter. He wasn’t a McDAA ready to hit the floor and impact the game. Any other team would have him as a backup learning his role to take over as an upperclassman instead of asking him to start and contribute day one freshman and sophomore year.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

4 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

I think people forget that Devonte was only a sophomore who needed a lot of coaching and development to become a starter. He wasn’t a McDAA ready to hit the floor and impact the game. Any other team would have him as a backup learning his role to take over as an upperclassman instead of asking him to start and contribute day one freshman and sophomore year.

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando BtownBanners

Yup; there's a reason that a young player with that much talent who dominated in high school was ranked in the 200s.

He is tailor-made for the Archie Miller/Ed Schilling school of guard development.

10 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Isn't that what we hear every off-season that a certain player is just dominating workouts, yada, yada, yada?  It's great to hear, but I'm not sure it's all that meaningful.  In my older years skeptical I am.

Idk Chris last year was talking about how much Moore was struggling and not sure he would contribute. Chris isn't handicapped by coach speak. 

13 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Idk Chris last year was talking about how much Moore was struggling and not sure he would contribute. Chris isn't handicapped by coach speak. 

I agree. I wasn't taking a shot of Chris's info, which has seemed real solid, but rather joking about past off-season years when Rivers had become a great shooter, the Vanilla Gorilla (Capobianco) had become an in-shape beast etc.

1 hour ago, DChoosier said:

I agree. I wasn't taking a shot of Chris's info, which has seemed real solid, but rather joking about past off-season years when Rivers had become a great shooter, the Vanilla Gorilla (Capobianco) had become an in-shape beast etc.

I certainly did not intend my original comment as a potshot either.  It's just that it seems to be an annual spring/summer piece of news and I've just learned to take it with a grain of salt until I can see the proof when the season starts.  

I certainly did not intend my original comment as a potshot either.  It's just that it seems to be an annual spring/summer piece of news and I've just learned to take it with a grain of salt until I can see the proof when the season starts.  

Agree. I love hearing the scoop and news of which players are improving, etc.... But then again, it doesn't mean a ton until games start. We were hearing lots of good about DeRon last off season.

I think until we face equal opposition, practices and workouts allow are better players to shine against our lesser players.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

43 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It's ok Old Fart, today's the day to get your pot shots in for the year.

Agree. I love hearing the scoop and news of which players are improving, etc.... But then again, it doesn't mean a ton until games start. We were hearing lots of good about DeRon last off season.

I think until we face equal opposition, practices and workouts allow are better players to shine against our lesser players.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Agreed. In between him and Green you would have thought we had two All B1G players.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app