Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

8 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Smith or Morgan will have to spread the floor better if Smith is the starting 3. 

Agreed. I believe Morgan has shown the ability to do that at times. He needs to develop consistency. I also imagine he realizes his NBA aspirations depend on it also. 

12 hours ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Starting or not, McRoberts will see plenty of action, IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I believe he will also. I'm a little perplexed at his unwillingness to shoot. He has a pretty nice looking shot and makes a decent %. His ability and willingness to defend will get him minutes though. 

I still don't see how anyone has Smith as their 3. He's shown little perimeter skills and hit very few jump shots. Maybe he develops that, but as of now he is an inside player. He's a college 4 imo. 

30 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I still don't see how anyone has Smith as their 3. He's shown little perimeter skills and hit very few jump shots. Maybe he develops that, but as of now he is an inside player. He's a college 4 imo. 

He's not a college three yet, but I think he could be. He's quick enough and agile enough to defend smaller players, and his form shooting is good enough to become productive. Agree that he currently is a college 4, but that should not be the direction he's heading. 

He certainly as much of a three as Troy Williams was in his freshman year, and by the end of his junior year, Troy was a championship caliber three (though there were some maddening moments along the way). Justin Smith is not as athletic as Troy, but he's about the same size and the athleticism; is not a ridiculous comparable. Just because Justin plays far more in control than WIlliams doesn't make it an invalid comparison.

15 hours ago, Hardwood83 said:

Hmmmm, I want to be excited about this comment. Would love Race & Moore to blow-up, but the thought of "passing" on a proven post player based on a few weeks of workouts concerns me.  

Porter averaged 13 pts a game. He's not going to get that here with Morgan-Romeo being the focal point so if you can get two or three big guys 10 points combined you are in good shape. 

1 minute ago, Stuhoo said:

He's not a college three yet, but I think he could be. He's quick enough and agile enough to defend smaller players, and his form shooting is good enough to become productive. Agree that he currently is a college 4, but that should not be the direction he's heading. 

He certainly as much of a three as Troy Williams was in his freshman year, and by the end of his junior year, Troy was a championship caliber three (though there were some maddening moments along the way). Justin Smith is not as athletic as Troy, but he's about the same size. Just because Justin plays far more in control than WIlliams doesn't make it an invalid comparison.

But Troy played the 4 for the most part. I just think we are at our best with Smith at the 4 and Morgan the 5. I don't buy into the "banging down low makes Morgan tired"... I don't know who he really had to "bang" with that wore him out. Hopefully Smith can develop on the perimeter, as you've mentioned. Versatility is a great attribute to have. 

1 minute ago, btownqb said:

But Troy played the 4 for the most part. I just think we are at our best with Smith at the 4 and Morgan the 5. I don't buy into the "banging down low makes Morgan tired"... I don't know who he really had to "bang" with that wore him out. Hopefully Smith can develop on the perimeter, as you've mentioned. Versatility is a great attribute to have. 

He ended up playing the four primarily during his freshman (with Hartman as the starting center!) and sophomore years because we didn't have many options up front and had some good guard options.

By the time we reached the Sweet Sixteen during Troy's junior year our best lineup was Yogi, RoJo, Troy/Zeisloft at the three, OG, Juwan, or Collin at the four, and TBryant/Max at the 5.

5 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

If Smith and Green are really significantly improved we really are Romeo and a serviceable big from being very dangerous. 

Hopefully Moore and Race are ready

November can't come soon enough 

This summer I will get over there to take a look for myself. I just asked so I could give some quick updates about how the spring is going. 

Yes Morgan has been there but everyone knows what he brings so not as big a deal. I just asked who has looked good. Response was Green very good, Al, Race, Moore all been good but Smith better than everyone else. Dominating the spring. 

Green doesn’t really have any guard competition in practice. I guess Al, but imo he isn’t great. Hopefully it carries over to game situations against big ten worthy guards.

Remember now, I’m Green’s biggest cheerleader. The talent is there. Just not sure he really gets tested in practice.

37 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

He ended up playing the four primarily during his freshman (with Hartman as the starting center!) and sophomore years because we didn't have many options up front and had some good guard options.

By the time we reached the Sweet Sixteen during Troy's junior year our best lineup was Yogi, RoJo, Troy/Zeisloft at the three, OG, Juwan, or Collin at the four, and TBryant/Max at the 5.

I would have considered Hartman and Troy's position essentially the same. A lot of why Troy could move around was because Bryant, Hartman, and Zeisloft could all bury the 3 ball, so that created space for him to drive. If we get a grad transfer big, and Smith plays the 3.. or more of the 3... that grad transfer HAS to be able to be a dribble drive threat and stretch the floor. It will not work with another lane clogger like Davis. I am really glad Archie was able to hold onto Smith. He's going to be a stud for us.  

Just now, WayneFleekHoosier said:

Green doesn’t really have any guard competition in practice. I guess Al, but imo he isn’t great. Hopefully it carries over to game situations against big ten worthy guards.

Remember now, I’m Green’s biggest cheerleader. The talent is there. Just not sure he really gets tested in practice.

Agree not much competition.. but least he is playing well. It would be an awful sign if he were not playing well. 

3 minutes ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

As somebody who has never coached how do you help a player develop consistency. 

I know we have some coaches out there?

19 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

As somebody who has never coached how do you help a player develop consistency. 

I know we have some coaches out there?

Also you have to want it for yourself as bad as the coaches want for you. Green needs to live in Cook hall this summer. 

3 minutes ago, Chris007 said:

Also you have to want it for yourself as bad as the coaches want for you. Green needs to live in Cook hall this summer. 

He can't be "interested" in becoming a good player anymore, he needs to be "invested." If he spends most of his wakening hours in Cook Hall his consistency will be there because he can't afford it not to be, he will be invested.