Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

8 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I'm telling you guys if Green can play like he did for that one stretch and we can get a big who can just play solid defense we will be right there in the big ten. 

Better find some shooters as well

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

If you only have one, you might as well have zero against the good teams. 

By definition 1 and 0 are different  

If you have one dominant player truly dominant it helps the others around him. Romeo will get his shot against any single defender and with 2 there will be an open man

Besides what do you think Al, Devonte, Smith and Morgan will be working on this offseason. 

Not to mention Phinisee is no slouch. 

42 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

By definition 1 and 0 are different  

If you have one dominant player truly dominant it helps the others around him. Romeo will get his shot against any single defender and with 2 there will be an open man

Besides what do you think Al, Devonte, Smith and Morgan will be working on this offseason. 

Not to mention Phinisee is no slouch. 

I believe we will struggle shooting again next year if we don't add a grad transfer wing.. hopefully Green can be better from distance.. that would solve a lot of this issue. 

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Again.. we will need others to step up big time in the shooting dept.

You seem to think constantly repeating your overly simplified viewpoint makes it somehow more credible or accurate. 

Of course we need them to improve. That's traditionally what happens as players grow. 

We don't need an Oladipo level rise by anybody we need 5-7 percentage points by 3-4 people that's almost to be expected. Combine natural growth with a dynamic shooting guard drawing double teams and we are fine  

The shooting will be serviceable. Not going to be setting any records but with defense like we should be playing we won't need to. 

You seem to think constantly repeating your overly simplified viewpoint makes it somehow more credible or accurate. 
Of course we need them to improve. That's traditionally what happens as players grow. 
We don't need an Oladipo level rise by anybody we need 5-7 percentage points by 3-4 people that's almost to be expected. Combine natural growth with a dynamic shooting guard drawing double teams and we are fine  
The shooting will be serviceable. Not going to be setting any records but with defense like we should be playing we won't need to. 

Agreed. As Chris implied earlier our next move is a big. I am perfectly content with that. If they double and triple team Romeo, Juwan will be putting up 25 a game. Great players make those around them better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

13 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Agreed. As Chris implied earlier our next move is a big. I am perfectly content with that. If they double and triple team Romeo, Juwan will be putting up 25 a game. Great players make those around them better.

I’m with BTown on this, I’d prefer to surround Juwan and Langford with as many shooters as possible. Don’t see why we’d really need another big, unless the staff feels none of Davis, Thompson, Moore or Forrester are ready to contribute. 

Edit: Caveat is if we can find a Beilfeldt type big that can rebound and play D, and also hit open 3’s. But the key is surrounding Morgan and Langford (assuming he comes) with as many shooters as possible. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’m with BTown on this, I’d prefer to surround Juwan and Langford with as many shooters as possible. Don’t see why we’d really need another big, unless the staff feels none of Davis, Thompson, Moore or Forrester are ready to contribute. 

It would be incredibly disappointing if those can't help us. 

3 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It would be incredibly disappointing if those can't help us. 

Agree. I think some of the disagreement is because you and I think Morgan should be the 5. In that scenario we don’t need another big. But, for the people that think Morgan should be the 4, then I can see why they’d want another big. I don’t agree, but I get their thought process. 

I just want as many shooters on the floor as possible. As many athletic, skilled playmakers as possible. 

38 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Agree. I think some of the disagreement is because you and I think Morgan should be the 5. In that scenario we don’t need another big. But, for the people that think Morgan should be the 4, then I can see why they’d want another big. I don’t agree, but I get their thought process. 

I just want as many shooters on the floor as possible. As many athletic, skilled playmakers as possible. 

Agree and agree. It'll be interesting. 

7 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Agreed that they need to help.

But a more critical question is; can one of them play at the level of a 20+ minute per game five on a championship caliber team?

I'm just not sure that's necessary though. Davis gives us 12, Thompson gives 15... the other two (one avg) gives us 5. 

1 minute ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

I think you are counting much too heavily on Davis coming from his achilles injury to be a significant contributor next season.

Could be.. if we really don't think he'll contribute, then yeah, we probably need to get a big. 

Could be.. if we really don't think he'll contribute, then yeah, we probably need to get a big. 

He struggled to contribute 100% healthy. He just doesn’t fit this team. It’s no small coincidence we struggled most with him in the middle at both ends. For me it’s as much him as it is keeping Juwan as fresh as possible come February/March. He faded down the stretch. I understand where you guys are coming from and like you said about Thompson, Moore, and Forrester that we are in trouble if they can’t contribute. I feel the same for Al, Green, Phinisee, Anderson and Hunter. If they can’t either improve or contribute we are in trouble. We are about to get Romeo. That’s 30+ minutes per game and probably 20 ppg. Yes shooters would open him up a bit. But wouldn’t another Juwan-lite? From things we are hearing that seems to be the route we are going. Coach seems to think there will be improvements with our shooting.

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

He struggled to contribute 100% healthy. He just doesn’t fit this team. It’s no small coincidence we struggled most with him in the middle at both ends. For me it’s as much him as it is keeping Juwan as fresh as possible come February/March. He faded down the stretch. I understand where you guys are coming from and like you said about Thompson, Moore, and Forrester that we are in trouble if they can’t contribute. I feel the same for Al, Green, Phinisee, Anderson and Hunter. If they can’t either improve or contribute we are in trouble. We are about to get Romeo. That’s 30+ minutes per game and probably 20 ppg. Yes shooters would open him up a bit. But wouldn’t another Juwan-lite? From things we are hearing that seems to be the route we are going. Coach seems to think there will be improvements with our shooting.

I agree he doesn't fit. I want space and pace. We do not need another De'Ron type. I also think Anderson would be exposed more then a guy like Forrester simply because I think we could out Forrester on a weaker offensive big guy and kind of hide him for 3 min stretches.