Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

3 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Here's really the key for the rotation next year assuming we get Romeo. 

Green. He's the key to an elite team. He's going to have so many open looks because of Romeo and Morgan. 

How does Green play consistently how he played from OSU to Iowa last year. 

If he can do that and we have just one other big ready to be a starter in Archie's system MY GOD we are golden. 

Exactly. He CAN do it, will he consistently? That is likely the difference between being a surprise nationally and competing in a down B1G and being on the bubble. 

Not to say Phinisee won't contribute, I'm just realistic about what to expect from a freshman. DG has shown the potential to be a top 3 PG in the conference, IMO. 

52 minutes ago, Hardwood83 said:

Exactly. He CAN do it, will he consistently? That is likely the difference between being a surprise nationally and competing in a down B1G and being on the bubble. 

Not to say Phinisee won't contribute, I'm just realistic about what to expect from a freshman. DG has shown the potential to be a top 3 PG in the conference, IMO. 

With Romeo and Morgan we are not a bubble team. 

17 hours ago, Calipari said:

Completely agree Wayne on the lineup. I think some forget how good De’Ron can be and I think Smith belongs in the 3 spot. Davis was playing terrific against duke before getting into foul trouble and we should have some nice backup options this year too. Another year of conditioning and work will really help.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think you guys are underestimating the injury Davis suffered. This wasn't a minor injury. Achilles injuries can take 2 years to fully recover and about 9-12 months to get back to full activity. I know as I ruptured mine. Granted I didn't have the physical therapists Davis has but I also wasn't 6"10 (which is a negative for this type of injury). I think he will get better as the season wears on but Davis will not have the luxury of doing everything offseason that he needs to do to take the next step in his game. 

For a guy that is talented but not especially quick, athletic, or high motor, after an Achilles tear it would absolutely shock me to see DeRon Davis have any kind of real rotation impact value before January.
In fact, it would surprise me a bit to see him have any real impact next season period, and under the right circumstances (but only based on my speculation) I could see him being a red-shirt candidate.

I agree with you but I listened to the podcast the other day(earlier this week) and I heard 6-9 months which would put that in September. Still hard to see him coming back and being 100% by November imo, but what do I know

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 hours ago, TXHoosierDaddy said:

I think you guys are underestimating the injury Davis suffered. This wasn't a minor injury. Achilles injuries can take 2 years to fully recover and about 9-12 months to get back to full activity. I know as I ruptured mine. Granted I didn't have the physical therapists Davis has but I also wasn't 6"10 (which is a negative for this type of injury). I think he will get better as the season wears on but Davis will not have the luxury of doing everything offseason that he needs to do to take the next step in his game. 

Possibly redshirt?

De'Ron can play a role on next year's team. He might not play ~20 mpg but we'll need him against a few teams.

If we can't be a "big" teams we'll need Morgan, Smith, Thompson, and one of Moore or Forrester to fly around and use athleticism to counter size.

3 hours ago, InArchWeTrust said:

Possibly redshirt?

I think he will be good to go but I think it will be a very slow start for him. If we redshirted him we would have to bring in a grad transfer or juco big.  No way can you put all your stock in Moore and Forrester to round out the 5 spot. 

Dang, wasn’t aware of the severity of the injury. Hopefully De’Ron can be back to being an important piece come Big Ten play but we’ll certainly need some guys step up besides Juwan in the front court. I’m interested to see how Race will look or how he’s been doing in practices after a season of work.