Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

6 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

Trey Porter and Ryan Taylor would be a great duo to get if we can't get Romeo just my two cents. 

Not so sure it wouldn't be better. I know most won't think so but I like the idea of Taylor being at IU two years. I think an athletic big to help inside would be huge. 

7 minutes ago, jonz44 said:

Not so sure it wouldn't be better. I know most won't think so but I like the idea of Taylor being at IU two years. I think an athletic big to help inside would be huge. 

Taylor will only be there 1 year. 

TREY PORTER SEASON AVERAGES
SEASON    TEAM    MIN    FGM-FGA    FG%    3PM-3PA    3P%    FTM-FTA    FT%    REB    AST    BLK    STL    PF    TO    PTS
2017-18       ODU     23.6      4.6-7.8     .588    0.0-0.0        1.000      4.0-6.0     .670    6.2     0.5      1.3    0.5       2.8    1.3    13.2
2016-17       ODU     14.6      2.5-4.8      .507    0.0-0.0        .000       1.7-2.6      .642    4.8     0.4      1.5    0.3       2.2    0.9    6.6
2014-15       GMU    14.1      1.2-2.6      .468    0.0-0.1         .000       1.1-1.8     .582    2.6     0.2      1.1    0.4       2.5    0.7    3.5

FWIW: His per game numbers trended WAY up toward the end of last season.

6 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

TREY PORTER SEASON AVERAGES
SEASON    TEAM    MIN    FGM-FGA    FG%    3PM-3PA    3P%    FTM-FTA    FT%    REB    AST    BLK    STL    PF    TO    PTS
2017-18       ODU     23.6      4.6-7.8     .588    0.0-0.0        1.000      4.0-6.0     .670    6.2     0.5      1.3    0.5       2.8    1.3    13.2
2016-17       ODU     14.6      2.5-4.8      .507    0.0-0.0        .000       1.7-2.6      .642    4.8     0.4      1.5    0.3       2.2    0.9    6.6
2014-15       GMU    14.1      1.2-2.6      .468    0.0-0.1         .000       1.1-1.8     .582    2.6     0.2      1.1    0.4       2.5    0.7    3.5

FWIW: His per game numbers trended WAY up toward the end of last season.

Haven't seen him play but seems to fit the bill of a center for Archie's system better than Davis. 

Weaknesses last year - Solutions

PG - RP or Green with Consistency

Scoring  - Romeo or Ryan Taylor

Center - Trey Porter

OMG it's like there some sort of coherent plan  what is this sorcery  

Loss of big man Trey Porter leaves ODU basketball in a tough spot

• Updated 

This time of year, there are winners and losers virtually every day in college basketball’s volatile transfer market.

Old Dominion took one in the loss column late Tuesday night, when forward Trey Porter, the Monarchs’ top inside player this past season, announced plans to transfer.

The loss of the 6-foot-10, 230-pound Porter, who averaged 13.2 points and 6.2 rebounds, dims the 2018-19 outlook for a team that went 25-7 this year and was slated to return a core of three seniors: point guard Ahmad Caver, guard/forward B.J. Stith and Porter.

Porter made huge strides in 2017-18 and was expected to be the hub of the offense inside as well as a formidable defensive presence. His loss, coupled with the graduation of forward Brandan Stith, leaves the Monarchs alarmingly thin in the frontcourt.

“We appreciate Trey’s contributions to ODU men’s basketball and wish him the best in his future endeavors,” ODU head coach Jeff Jones said in a statement Wednesday afternoon. 

Porter received his release Tuesday and emailed the website verbalcommits.com, which first reported his intentions to transfer. He confirmed his plans to The Virginian-Pilot. A redshirt junior from Woodbridge, Porter graduated in December and would be eligible immediately.

Porter did not immediately respond to an email Wednesday afternoon, but it’s expected that he’s looking to play in a major conference.

“Trey’s a bright kid. I’m sure he’ll make a wise choice,” Keith Honore, Porter’s coach at Potomac High, said in a text message.

Porter added weight and strength this past year and was dominant at times in the low post. He was voted Conference USA Player of the Week at the end of the season after averaging 23.5 points and 12.5 rebounds in wins over Florida Atlantic and Florida International.

Porter will be attending his third school. He transferred to ODU from George Mason after his freshman season. He sat out the 2015-16 season and averaged 6.6 points and 4.8 rebounds in 2016-17.

image.png

image.png

This..... Pleases me.

Major ramifications. Lets Juwan breath as a 4. Lets De'Ron breath. May push Clifton out, or it may stand as a motivator for him. Trey was 172 lbs when he arrived at George Mason, played this year around 225. He put this weight on while dealing with diabetes, developed his game over the years.

This guy would be a player. I really wasn't looking forward to another season where our best lineup has Juwan playing the 5. Juwan is fantastic, but we need to be bigger. 

9 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

This..... Pleases me.

Major ramifications. Lets Juwan breath as a 4. Lets De'Ron breath. May push Clifton out, or it may stand as a motivator for him. Trey was 172 lbs when he arrived at George Mason, played this year around 225. He put this weight on while dealing with diabetes, developed his game over the years.

This guy would be a player. I really wasn't looking forward to another season where our best lineup has Juwan playing the 5. Juwan is fantastic, but we need to be bigger. 

Also lets DeRon take a redshirt year if warranted.

Question for those that want to do the research or know of the top of their head, but I’m curious. Has there ever been a grad transfer make all conference in the BIG? 

4 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Question for those that want to do the research or know of the top of their head, but I’m curious. Has there ever been a grad transfer make all conference in the BIG? 

I know Forbes and Uthoff both transferred but they were at their schools for more than a year.