Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

3 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Kalob Ledoux from McNeese St apparently getting a look. 15.1 as a three point shooting sophomore; not sure if he’d be a one year sit.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

He's only spent two years in college, so it looks like he'd have to sit.

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 MCNS 30.0 5.4-12.9 .421 2.3-6.0 .374 1.8-2.3 .803 4.3 1.0 0.1 0.5 2.4 2.4 15.0
2016-17 MCNS 24.5 4.2-9.3 .454 1.7-4.5 .385 1.7-2.3 .758 2.8 1.1 0.0 0.4 1.9 2.2 11.9

In general, I'm far more concerned with skill, length and athleticism than I am with height. As far as the current roster, while the inexperience of our interior guys worries me, but in terms of sheer numbers of guys and their size I think we're fine. I'm far more concerned with our backcourt and wing positions. 
While he does give up some size defensively, Morgan offensively creates so many mismatches as a 5, and you mitigate any size deficiency he has by surrounding him with stretch 4's and wings players that are in the 6'5" - 6'8" range with skill, athleticism and length. It's perfectly fine to have a 6'8" center if your stretch 4 is 6'7" - 6'8"ish and your two wings are between 6'5" - 6'7".
The problem with IU recently is that we've been playing 3 guards along with undersized 5's. When your wings are 6'2" combo guards, then yes you need more size on the interior. 
But in this day and age it's about pace and space, and you need multi-skilled guys that can handle, shoot, and create plays all over the court. A guy like Davis for example really clogs things up offensively and then also hurts you defensively because he can't recover from the high ball screen quick enough and he can't switch onto perimeter players. 
As far as the two open scholly's go, I'm way more concerned with filling out our guard/wing spots than interior spots. I think Race will be good, so we're pretty covered with Morgan, Smith and Race, then you hope one of Forrester and Moore can contribute, and finally you hope Davis can give some minutes as the season moves on. 
But, we need shooting, skill and athleticism on the perimeter in a MAJOR way, and I worry counting on Anderson and Hunter. I'd love to see Archie lock up Langford and Taylor. That gives us two long, athletic, shot/play makers on the perimeter, which is what we need. 

You can't count on Anderson unless he makes unbelievable strides.

Sent from my LG-K371 using BtownBanners mobile app

In general, I'm far more concerned with skill, length and athleticism than I am with height. As far as the current roster, while the inexperience of our interior guys worries me, but in terms of sheer numbers of guys and their size I think we're fine. I'm far more concerned with our backcourt and wing positions. 
While he does give up some size defensively, Morgan offensively creates so many mismatches as a 5, and you mitigate any size deficiency he has by surrounding him with stretch 4's and wings players that are in the 6'5" - 6'8" range with skill, athleticism and length. It's perfectly fine to have a 6'8" center if your stretch 4 is 6'7" - 6'8"ish and your two wings are between 6'5" - 6'7".
The problem with IU recently is that we've been playing 3 guards along with undersized 5's. When your wings are 6'2" combo guards, then yes you need more size on the interior. 
But in this day and age it's about pace and space, and you need multi-skilled guys that can handle, shoot, and create plays all over the court. A guy like Davis for example really clogs things up offensively and then also hurts you defensively because he can't recover from the high ball screen quick enough and he can't switch onto perimeter players. 
As far as the two open scholly's go, I'm way more concerned with filling out our guard/wing spots than interior spots. I think Race will be good, so we're pretty covered with Morgan, Smith and Race, then you hope one of Forrester and Moore can contribute, and finally you hope Davis can give some minutes as the season moves on. 
But, we need shooting, skill and athleticism on the perimeter in a MAJOR way, and I worry counting on Anderson and Hunter. I'd love to see Archie lock up Langford and Taylor. That gives us two long, athletic, shot/play makers on the perimeter, which is what we need. 

Which would undoubtedly be awesome if we got those two. I hope we do then go after a big.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Yeah I am just saying judging by his recruiting Archie disagrees with you. 

I don’t want us recruiting another freshman big. That isn’t what I said at all. We need a guard/wing/scorer first and foremost which I also said. Once we get that player, let’s see where we are at and if he is still scoping the wings like he has been. I am not entirely sure they are 100% on if anybody is transferring or not. If nobody is it is a guard all day. I never argued against that. Archie hasn’t been one to look 5 steps ahead. If he feels comfortable with what he has inside I will disagree with that, but it isn’t my team.

47 minutes ago, BH33 said:

He's only spent two years in college, so it looks like he'd have to sit.

Season Averages
SEASON TEAM MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
2017-18 MCNS 30.0 5.4-12.9 .421 2.3-6.0 .374 1.8-2.3 .803 4.3 1.0 0.1 0.5 2.4 2.4 15.0
2016-17 MCNS 24.5 4.2-9.3 .454 1.7-4.5 .385 1.7-2.3 .758 2.8 1.1 0.0 0.4 1.9 2.2 11.9

Am I missing something because other than his FT% I don't see anything that just screams Candystripes.  His numbers aren't any better than RoJo's.   For this past season RoJo was 43% FG's and 37% on 3's and there was a lot of handwringing this past season over Johnson's shooting.  Now compared to Durham, Green and Newkirk's shooting, Ledoux looks like a 5-star talent.

While Golden State is the poster team for the "small ball" movement they still play with a 5. Pachula (sp?) and McGee (sp?) or whoever they have now.  This is how I would like Archie to build IU. 

I believe Forrester will play that role, one day, but he won't be there yet.  Morgan can take an opponents 4 on the block and score over him with 3 shooters spread and the 5 on the opposite block.  If the opponents 5 goes to double our 5 slashes to the basket for a layup.  If they double from the wing or guard spot it leaves a shooter open.  Getting Romeo or the UE guard would give us another shooter.  I would like to see a grad transfer "Forrester" or for Moore/Forrester be ready to play that role.  If Davis is healthy enough he could be our banger for 20 mpg against teams with a true 5. 

I just don't see Morgan lasting a full season as the 5 playing 30 mpg.  He wore down this season splitting 30 mpg between the 4/5.  I want Thompson developing behind Morgan and being ready to take over next season as the starting 4.  Smith's game is of a college 4 but showed a good enough stroke to develop into a wing player with time.  If Moore or Forrester develop enough I won't be concerned because both of them could have the ability to help defend the rim.  My concerns are Morgan picking up fouls against bigger 5s and wearing down over the course of an entire season.

First and foremost we need to shore up the guard spot and I believe Romeo or the UE guard will help with that.  If we can get both and a grad transfer big that would be the best outcome.  If not I'd like to see a guard and a grad transfer big.

Is he a confirmed grad transfer and thus immediately eligible?  I've seen the news of his leaving NC St., but haven't seen anything about remaining eligibility.  

I know nothing other than(from what I’ve read) he is done with NC State. Now whether he has improved his stock enuff to declare, idk. Just simply mentioned his name and know basically nothing about him

While Golden State is the poster team for the "small ball" movement they still play with a 5. Pachula (sp?) and McGee (sp?) or whoever they have now.  This is how I would like Archie to build IU. 
I believe Forrester will play that role, one day, but he won't be there yet.  Morgan can take an opponents 4 on the block and score over him with 3 shooters spread and the 5 on the opposite block.  If the opponents 5 goes to double our 5 slashes to the basket for a layup.  If they double from the wing or guard spot it leaves a shooter open.  Getting Romeo or the UE guard would give us another shooter.  I would like to see a grad transfer "Forrester" or for Moore/Forrester be ready to play that role.  If Davis is healthy enough he could be our banger for 20 mpg against teams with a true 5. 
I just don't see Morgan lasting a full season as the 5 playing 30 mpg.  He wore down this season splitting 30 mpg between the 4/5.  I want Thompson developing behind Morgan and being ready to take over next season as the starting 4.  Smith's game is of a college 4 but showed a good enough stroke to develop into a wing player with time.  If Moore or Forrester develop enough I won't be concerned because both of them could have the ability to help defend the rim.  My concerns are Morgan picking up fouls against bigger 5s and wearing down over the course of an entire season.
First and foremost we need to shore up the guard spot and I believe Romeo or the UE guard will help with that.  If we can get both and a grad transfer big that would be the best outcome.  If not I'd like to see a guard and a grad transfer big.

This is exactly where I am.

54 minutes ago, yogisballin said:

I know nothing other than(from what I’ve read) he is done with NC State. Now whether he has improved his stock enuff to declare, idk. Just simply mentioned his name and know basically nothing about him

He's in one of my classes and I know he's a good student but I'm not sure if he'll be graduating by the end of this semester. With that said I'd be very surprised to see him transfer to another school, since he got here his mindset has been to get to the $ as quick as possible and he really thought he was only going to spend 1 year in college, I would guess that if he doesn't think he's going to get drafted then he will go play overseas for a year, but that's just my opinion

Btown I like you and always have but man this is a weak complaint. Don’t make a strong stance when you know there will be opposing thoughts if you can’t take it. Why is it when someone responds to people anymore do they instantly think people are attacking? Are we that thin skinned on this board anymore? I fully expect people to pick apart my posts after everyone complained about the moderation on this board just a year ago. I wouldn’t complain like you did in that post and finish with “I don’t care” because obviously you do .

That said, I like Tariq Owens out of St Johns. 6’11” and 205 lbs. Getting 8 points, 5 boards, and 3 blocks per game while averaging 30 mpg. I like that length. I like his shooting percentage. Unfortunately he will end up at Maryland. They have been talking about him for a couple weeks on Maryland board. Also Archie won’t go above a 9 man rotation and I see a couple of transfers. A new coach just doesn’t come in and skate this clean. Please, nitpick that. This is kind of what this is about. It’s a good discussion and I don’t for the life of me understand taking offense to other people’s opinions, when yours is that strong. Also, we should start to see more transfers in the next week or two from other programs. Your list and mine will probably change a couple of times before anything happens.

People are thin skinned everywhere in soceity today, not just this board.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

My hockey tournament weekend I just participated in has always been a weekend that I read about a couple transfers (historically)

Interesting things are slow on this front. I do expect 1 or 2. Thinking by this weekend we will hear some news.

I too am surprised.

2 minutes ago, iufaninillinois said:

People are thin skinned everywhere in soceity today, not just this board.

I'm just not one of those. 

3 minutes ago, Choopy said:

FWIW Juwan, Devonte, De’Ron and Vijay all signed a lease together for an apartment for next year. So it doesn’t look like any of them have plans on leaving.

Best news I heard all day

FWIW Juwan, Devonte, De’Ron and Vijay all signed a lease together for an apartment for next year. So it doesn’t look like any of them have plans on leaving.

This is legitimately the best news regarding IUBB I've heard in a long while.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Choopy said:

Is this legit? 

9 minutes ago, Choopy said:

Romeo, we know you're following btb we just don't know your screen name, but take note that Morgan is apparently coming back for his senior season.   Mr. Inside and Mr. Outside maybe?

I hope al stays. I really like him. If he just gets a consistent shot he will be a good player of the bench. He plays hard and with lots of energy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using BtownBanners mobile app