Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Green is going to get time next year, so will Durham. I see no reason for either to transfer if that’s what they’re worried about.

Now if they aren’t sure about system/fit moving forward, that’s a different discussion to have. Green is the odd man out as far as “system” goes and how he plays.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Green needs a coach that is tough on him. If he went to St. John's and was given the keys he'd have a few stellar games but many more that were "meh." I really believe that an offseason of film and maturing Green could be a difference maker for IU next season.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree and hopefully he sees it that way

I would hate to lose Durham or Green but there is something about Durham I like.  You can tell (or at least it appears) he loves being a Hoosier!
I think both Durham and Moore leave. Green could go either way but all are crean guys so... That being said we need to sign two guards this spring imo.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

I like both Green and Durham for the defense they can bring with another year in Archie’s system. I also think the older we can get the better off we will be. I’m hoping to see guys stick around for 3-4 years under Archie and really work to get better, I think a senior Devonte, Junior Durham, and Sophomore Phinesse could be really good with the right pieces. 

Agreed, it's a matter of if they're happy with their roles and are they willing to work. Durham seems like a kid that will put his head down and get to work. Green, if motivated probably, can be the same.

What they need to work on over the summer.

Durham: jump shot(!) he could really cause fits for opponents if he gets his 3PT% up around 38. Add muscle, he was able to get into the lane but got bumped off his line too easily. If he adds muscle and gets a consistent jumper he's a solid 20+ mpg contributor off the bench.

Green: maturity and consistency. He needs to consistently hit the single over and over. He's the type of player that can absolutely annoy opponents by getting into the lane and finishing or dishing. Once he has the mental game down he'll be solid. He has the pieces he just needs to know when and how to use them. He also needs to add some muscle. I do believe he has a good wingspan for his height though.

Overall, they can be contributors on an top 4 Big Ten team next year. Will they see this and will they work?

1 hour ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

I like both Green and Durham for the defense they can bring with another year in Archie’s system. I also think the older we can get the better off we will be. I’m hoping to see guys stick around for 3-4 years under Archie and really work to get better, I think a senior Devonte, Junior Durham, and Sophomore Phinesse could be really good with the right pieces. 

Agree completely. The two biggest things IU needs right now are consistency (Morgan, McRoberts, Green, Smith, Durham, Thompson) and a talent upgrade (hopefully Langford, Hunter, Phinisee, Anderson and hopefully a good grad transfer), and those two things need to be balanced. Losing too many guys from the current team would not be a good thing. 

If everyone stays, I will be interested to see which of the younger guys makes the biggest improvement to next season. I recall that as a sophomore, Victor couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. But he got in the gym, busted his butt and not only became a very good shooter, but became one of the best players in the country. ... I'm embarrassed to say (write) this, but after their sophomore years, I thought Sheehey would end up being the better player of the two. He was bigger, I thought he was just as athletic as Vic and I thought he had a better shot. Boy, was I wrong. And in a big way. 

If everyone stays, I will be interested to see which of the younger guys makes the biggest improvement to next season. I recall that as a sophomore, Victor couldn't throw the ball in the ocean. But he got in the gym, busted his butt and not only became a very good shooter, but became one of the best players in the country. ... I'm embarrassed to say (write) this, but after their sophomore years, I thought Sheehey would end up being the better player of the two. He was bigger, I thought he was just as athletic as Vic and I thought he had a better shot. Boy, was I wrong. And in a big way. 

I think Durham's leap will be between his sophomore and junior year's, if he stays. I could see him becoming an all Big Ten defensive team type player.

I'd go with Green or Smith. Smith increasing his range, defense, and strength to finish at the rim (this has improved over the course of this season) could get him big minutes to impact games.

7 hours ago, Blackmon_for_3 said:

I would be extremely happy if he came to IU. Kid is a winner. 

Me too, Sanford is impressive and I really hope he transfers to IU.  I watched him play a few weeks ago and was really impressed.

He hit a few threes, drove and dunked on a guy, and defended pretty well from what I saw.  He's got a good build for a guard too, not really that wiry.  

If we miss on Romeo and end up getting Sanford, I really won't be all that upset.  Obviously Romeo is the bigger get for a variety of reasons, but I'd take Sanford even if we didn't need a guard.

Hate to tell ya guys but I got to a lot of Juco games down here in Southern Indiana and Archie was in Vincennes this past week watching Isiah Tilsdale. He is a all American guard the last two years and can score the ball but this means to me some guys sre transferring this summer

Sent from my LG-H820 using BtownBanners mobile app

Hate to tell ya guys but I got to a lot of Juco games down here in Southern Indiana and Archie was in Vincennes this past week watching Isiah Tilsdale. He is a all American guard the last two years and can score the ball but this means to me some guys sre transferring this summer

Or that he’s filling Curtis Jones spot.

Hope the stats that I just saw on him were wrong. I don't think that we need another SG that hits under 30% from three.

Sent from my SM-G930P using BtownBanners mobile app

15 minutes ago, HoosierRobbie said:

Or that he’s filling Curtis Jones spot.

What happened to Archie's belief that some number of scholarships should be saved/not used every year? How does that factor into where we will be next season, personnel-wise?

It looks like if there are no transfers, we have two open scholarships next year... 

Thankfully, we won't be dealing with the "perennially over signed" crap.

Screen Shot 2018-02-28 at 4.19.24 PM.png

What happened to Archie's belief that some number of scholarships should be saved/not used every year? How does that factor into where we will be next season, personnel-wise?
It looks like if there are no transfers, we have two open scholarships next year... 
Thankfully, we won't be dealing with the "perennially over signed" crap.
5a973963601a5_ScreenShot2018-02-28at4_19_24PM.thumb.png.e041aba9603f2091014354f0653ca6f9.png
We needs guards badly is why.

Most of these guys were ranked higher on rivals and none were diamonds in the rough. All were recruited by high major colleges. A diamond in the ruff would be a guy like Priller, April, Gelon, or Jobe becoming a big time player.

Ok just go back and look at 2016 top 75-80. #15 wenyen gabriel, #48 seventh woods, #57 jay huff , #78 Quentin goodin (turned into a decent sophomore season, terrible freshman) and #80 Eli Wright. This is again, why I don’t pay much attention to these rankings. Each kid and situations they are going into are different. Each kids work ethic is different. Each handle things differently from a mental aspect. And lastly, how much work someone has to put in physically to get their body right.

I think that’s where it’s at with Clifton and Aljami. They need to accept where their at right now physically and then be willing to obtain a goal this offseason. Then their confidence will grow from there. I actually love both of these kids potential.

Just think with Al, a long, athletic, high B.B.-IQ, and at 6’4 left handed point guard. Can not wait for it and with the way some of you are talking I hope he stays around for it. Now with Clifton, a 6’10 kid that you can pick and pop with and keep the floor stretched, I like. But I feel he has a long way to go. But potentially, it’s there