Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

2 hours ago, 323SGrant said:

I’m not a Crean fan and I’m glad he’s gone, but Mo Creek was better than his ranking and but for the devastating injury, would have probably been in the NBA, but CTC had too many recruiting misses and average coaching ability.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is especially true of one touted as a "great recruiter".

Moore was #151 on 247. That's the reference for the chain.
Most of these guys were ranked higher on rivals and none were diamonds in the rough. All were recruited by high major colleges. A diamond in the ruff would be a guy like Priller, April, Gelon, or Jobe becoming a big time player.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

If my aunt had a sack, she'd be my uncle.   

I just want to take a mo' here and thank u for this. U said this year's ago on scout and I've seized every opportunity in life to use it, that I've encountered.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Bailey7878 said:

Most of these guys were ranked higher on rivals and none were diamonds in the rough. All were recruited by high major colleges. A diamond in the ruff would be a guy like Priller, April, Gelon, or Jobe becoming a big time player.

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here. Go Colts pointed to Moore (#151) as an example of "diamond in the rough" Crean recruits that don't work out and I responded with similarly ranked guys who have had success at IU.

We both agreed that Moore would have found a way to get minutes this year if he was any good.

15 hours ago, DChoosier said:

Not saying you are wrong but what exactly leads you to believe that Moore has loads of potential? He is clearly, thank goodness, not a Tijan but at this point I am not real sure about his upside.

You don't just show up on a mock draft in the 1st round as a relative unknown without having upside. I believe that was very premature and its why he hasn't been on another one for awhile, but he has the talent, he just doesn't have the strength or confidence yet. Heck he may never get it, but Archie is a guy that if Moore believes in him could live up to at least a little bit of it. I also really liked his high school tape.

You don't just show up on a mock draft in the 1st round as a relative unknown without having upside. I believe that was very premature and its why he hasn't been on another one for awhile, but he has the talent, he just doesn't have the strength or confidence yet. Heck he may never get it, but Archie is a guy that if Moore believes in him could live up to at least a little bit of it. I also really liked his high school tape.
I'd be shocked if Moore was back next year. Smith, Davis, and Morgan will eat up most of the minutes at forward. Race may be in the mix as well.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

The point is all those players were ranked similar to Moore coming out of high school. Some were hits, some were misses. Moore appears to be a miss after his first season.

I know you are "Go Colts" and have a reputation to uphold though so I won't hold it against you.

Whatever, dude.   That's un-necessary, and I will very happily provide you with several years of evidence to the contrary on this board.  That's a cheap shot at best and says a lot more about you than it does me.   

My point had nothing to do with rankings.  If yours did, good for you.  You compared a Mr. Basketball to Crean's looking for a diamond in the rough, which is nuts; but if pointing that out means I'm upholding a reputation, that's what it means.

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I'm not sure who you're arguing with here. Go Colts pointed to Moore (#151) as an example of "diamond in the rough" Crean recruits that don't work out and I responded with similarly ranked guys who have had success at IU.

We both agreed that Moore would have found a way to get minutes this year if he was any good.

Feel free to leave old business 7 years in the rear view mirror there, Boogaloo.  Not sure who you're trying to impress with this, however I'm quite sure my reputation here can stand on its own merit save 2-3 guys.

2 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I will pick out a problem with the bolded portion. Find me an instate replacement for Sheehey in the 2010 class within 2 hours of Bloomington. I don't see one.

I don't know what your definition of "highly rated" is. Devin Davis #155 on 247, about the same as Moore. Davis found a way to get on the floor his freshman year. Moore obviously didn't.

You're talking rankings.  I'm not.  There are players every season around here who would or could have given us what Sheehey did over 4 years.   i also didn't limit it to in-state. 

But for giggles and examples..., Terone Johnson was a combo guard from Indy; Aaron Craft was from Findley, OH (maybe 2:45); Russell Byrd from Ft. Wayne; James Siakam from Carbondale, IL (went to Vanderbilt), Donnie Hale from New Albany, Josh Sewell from Louisville..plus a couple dozen kids from the Indy metro area who are 6'5"ish who can play a whole bunch.   Sheehey was fine; but he wasn't someone we needed to go to Florida to find.   

Sheehey was fine; but he wasn't someone we needed to go to Florida to find.   

Look, I think every time you say something like this, it’s just arrogant. Sheehey was who he was. He was on our team, made some solid contributions, won that tourney game against VCU, and was a fun player. We didn’t have Aaron Craft. We didn’t have anyone else. They played for some one else. It’s just a weird revisionist history.

52 minutes ago, Walking Boot of Doom said:

Look, I think every time you say something like this, it’s just arrogant. Sheehey was who he was. He was on our team, made some solid contributions, won that tourney game against VCU, and was a fun player. We didn’t have Aaron Craft. We didn’t have anyone else. They played for some one else. It’s just a weird revisionist history.

I don't care one bit what you think.  I've been around high school and AAU basketball for 20 years and my opinions are formed based on experience with that.  It's not like I'm making things up based on nothing.   Sheehey made solid contributions.  I never said he didn't.   I said we didn't have to go to Florida to find a kid who would make solid contributions, and it's an example (whether you like it or not) of Crean recruiting in areas he never needed to.  He was fired in no small part because he spent wildly on recruiting and didn't produce results.  That's fact. Not arrogant.  Think whatever you want.  I couldn't care less.

13 hours ago, Old Friend said:

You're talking rankings.  I'm not.  There are players every season around here who would or could have given us what Sheehey did over 4 years.   i also didn't limit it to in-state. 

But for giggles and examples..., Terone Johnson was a combo guard from Indy; Aaron Craft was from Findley, OH (maybe 2:45); Russell Byrd from Ft. Wayne; James Siakam from Carbondale, IL (went to Vanderbilt), Donnie Hale from New Albany, Josh Sewell from Louisville..plus a couple dozen kids from the Indy metro area who are 6'5"ish who can play a whole bunch.   Sheehey was fine; but he wasn't someone we needed to go to Florida to find.   

Wow.. Hale was awful. TJ was 6'3 not 6'6 like WS. Craft was a PG not like WS. Byrd avg 1.4pts for his career, wtf man. 

Horrible examples. 

15 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Upside has little to do with college. 

Upside has little to do with college. 

I agree, but the disconnect between a projected first round pick and a 12th man on a .500 college basketball team is unreal. I’m very curious what’s going on with Moore - it’s not like Crean is the only one who saw him as a potential superstar.