Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

4 hours ago, Bailey7878 said:

That's assume he is willing to except that role. But if he's a big minute guy we are in trouble. He's just not good enough to see big minutes on a top 5 big ten team.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

FWIW, he played in the shadow of Colin Sexton on the AAU circuit and Al's dad was the coach of the team so in one sense, he's used to playing a supporting role.

4 hours ago, HinnyHoosier said:

AD will be an asset as an upperclassman. He's got a positive drive and has already shown an ability to finish and/or get to the line. He's played on potential right now, but I think Archie sees he'll be willing to work to improve. The shooting will improve and so will his confidence. I can see his value being similar to that of a McRoberts; the spark plug, if you will, and probably a good locker room guy. He just seems like a positive kid. Of course, this is all just based off my personal observations.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Add to that, he seems to take pride in being a Hoosier.

I get that feeling from Durham that next season he'll be a solid player in limited minutes as a solid defender, gets to the line, and finishes around the rim. As a junior he'll get more minutes and be that glue guy that locks down the opponents best perimeter player.

It's kind of funny that a lot of posts say we need a mix a good 4 year players, that are not good enough to go to the NBA early, but then freshmen are doubted/criticized when they are not real strong players 3/4 of the way into their freshman year.

I subscribe to the belief you need a combination of strong upperclassmen and talented freshmen. A perfect example of starting this would be a talented freshmen (Langford) and developing underclassmen (Durham, Anderson). Langford would get the lion's share of the minutes while Durham and Anderson would be brought along slowly. This is what we need to be consistently challenging for banners.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It's kind of funny that a lot of posts say we need a mix a good 4 year players, that are not good enough to go to the NBA early, but then freshmen are doubted/criticized when they are not real strong players 3/4 of the way into their freshman year.

I think what we need more is guys that are good when it's their time to play.

For example..... Durham wouldn't be getting minutes on a good Indiana team. Let him continue to develop and maybe as a Junior or Senior when he's good enough, he'll play and have an impact.

Otherwise the Freshman we get that play should be good enough, to deserve quality minutes. I don't necessarily care about the ranking but generally low rated 3 star kids aren't ready to be playing minutes on good teams as freshman. Or they shouldn't be if things are going the way they are supposed to.

The talent is low right now and guys are playing minutes they aren't ready for. In 2 or 3
Years we will see this far less.

Great post

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

On 2/13/2018 at 8:01 AM, HinnyHoosier said:

AD will be an asset as an upperclassman. He's got a positive drive and has already shown an ability to finish and/or get to the line. He's played on potential right now, but I think Archie sees he'll be willing to work to improve. The shooting will improve and so will his confidence. I can see his value being similar to that of a McRoberts; the spark plug, if you will, and probably a good locker room guy. He just seems like a positive kid. Of course, this is all just based off my personal observations.

He has really outplayed McBob lately and he's starting to take his minutes.

Durham isn't exactly Steve Alford or Jordan Hulls from the 3 pt line, but he's starting to sink a few. His jumpshot doesn't look bad.

He's like 5 of his last 10 or something. I don't want him shooting Newkirk or Hartman style but when he's open he has to shoot.

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

What McRoberts brings to the team cannot be measured in the box score. McRoberts might be our most consistent player. 

Believe me, I understand that, but he has been invisible the last few games. Haven't seen hardly any of those, "only McBob makes that play" moments and we normally see quite a few of per game. I love McBob and what he does. I was just saying that recently Al has outplayed him.

He's like 5 of his last 10 or something. I don't want him shooting Newkirk or Hartman style but when he's open he has to shoot.

He's actually 5/10 over the last 5 games. He's 4/6 in IU's current three game win streak. If Durham can shoot anywhere close to those numbers he'll see plenty of time as s sophomore.

4 hours ago, Fkfootball1 said:

Amazing how bad two 5th year Seniors are shooting the ball. Hartman I can forgive because he's had a pile of injuries, but what is Newkirks excuse?

That he's just not good.  This season is pretty well right in line with his career shooting numbers, it's nothing unusual with him.

No one panic, not my intended purpose, but I made a tweet about Al having a bright future, but you can tell he's raw at times. I communicate with Southern Stampede and don't want this taken out of context. He deleted the tweet shortly after so he knew it wasn't a smart idea. We talked a bit and I don't have a sense if Al isn't happy, but wanted to share in case anyone else has heard anything. This could just be him looking out for Al and thinking he deserves more time who knows. Anyone have any further input?

Screenshot_20180221-000350.png