Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

Couldn't agree more. The NBA and NCAA need to get this mess fixed. Makes it almost impossible for college coaches to manage rosters. There's a reason BS and BD decided to stay coaching in the league.
As many have said, let them go straight from high school, or commit for at least 2 years!

Sent from my SM-G900V using BtownBanners mobile app

For what It's worth (and it's worth a lot more than the nameless poster on Facebook) the Assembly Call guys say they have been hearing Bryant could be signing with an agent. It's at the 20 minute mark of the video below and than again more about it at the 1 hour mark. I thought when Archie was pushing so hard for Moore that maybe there was at least a decent chance Bryant was gone. Again nothing final but this appears to be a case of whatever was posted on Facebook was at least partially correct as these guys will only put nuggets like that in the show if they think they are saying something credible.  

11 hours ago, waitingon6 said:

Couldn't agree more. The NBA and NCAA need to get this mess fixed. Makes it almost impossible for college coaches to manage rosters. There's a reason BS and BD decided to stay coaching in the league.
As many have said, let them go straight from high school, or commit for at least 2 years!

100% agree.  With the NCAA acting as the best feeder league for any professional sport, you'd think the NBA would be much more cooperative and coordinating.  It's one of many reasons I have little respect for the NBA.

11 hours ago, waitingon6 said:

I totally agree, but I think it's pretty tough from a legal standpoint to force a kid to stay in school. I mean, they have to keep their grades up, etc.

The NBA should let them go straight from HS though. I mean, several players, including Kobe and Lebron have done that. The only thing a year does is allow the NCAA to make money off of them for a year. Makes one wonder if its all the NBA, or if they have an agreement with the NCAA.

7 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I totally agree, but I think it's pretty tough from a legal standpoint to force a kid to stay in school. I mean, they have to keep their grades up, etc.

The NBA should let them go straight from HS though. I mean, several players, including Kobe and Lebron have done that. The only thing a year does is allow the NCAA to make money off of them for a year. Makes one wonder if its all the NBA, or if they have an agreement with the NCAA.

I am all in favor of the Baseball rule of either going straight out of school or going to college for 2 or 3 yrs.

Also the NBA as a business has a legal right to set whatever requirements they want to for players to be employed by their league. My job requires at least a college degree to be eligible for the position I hold. My point is the NBA is on perfectly firm ground as an employer to set whatever standards they want to make people eligible for a job with them.

2 hours ago, bigrod said:

It's not so much that they have to stay in school but are 3 years removed from high school. In football you can't go to the NFL until you are 3 years removed and in baseball if you aren't drafted or don't sign out of high school then you have to be 3 years removed from high school before you can be drafted again. I think basketball could implement a rule similar to baseball that could be very beneficial. So I would say the best case would be if a kid is guaranteed to go in the 1st. round they should be allowed to be drafted out of high school. If not then they should be 3 years removed from high school before they can be drafted. The reason I said 3 years instead of 2 was so that basketball would have the same requirements as baseball and football.

50 minutes ago, ap2345 said:

It's not so much that they have to stay in school but are 3 years removed from high school. In football you can't go to the NFL until you are 3 years removed and in baseball if you aren't drafted or don't sign out of high school then you have to be 3 years removed from high school before you can be drafted again. I think basketball could implement a rule similar to baseball that could be very beneficial. So I would say the best case would be if a kid is guaranteed to go in the 1st. round they should be allowed to be drafted out of high school. If not then they should be 3 years removed from high school before they can be drafted. The reason I said 3 years instead of 2 was so that basketball would have the same requirements as baseball and football.

This makes so much sense. I'm all for the free market too, if they don't want to (often) pretend to be a student for a few years there is no limitation on these kids playing pro ball- just not in the NBA. Show what you can do in Israel or Croatia while getting paid. 

Current set-up is detrimental to both NCAA & NBA and often the players, IMO.

20 hours ago, ap2345 said:

Pretty sure you can go back in the baseball draft after 2 years removed from high school if you go the juco route. 

16 minutes ago, MikeRoberts said:

What's he doing?

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Just partying I'm assuming. Some girl I'm friends with on snapchat posted a few pictures with him. I had seen a couple days ago that Yogi was in town so they're probably hanging out together. 

The NCAA is about to ruin the college game anyway with all of the NBA like rule changes. Who wants to watch street ball all the time very boring run up and down the floor and people go crazy over the easiest shot in the game. please bring real basketball back where a good coach can win games with good coaching. 

31 minutes ago, the possum said:

The NCAA is about to ruin the college game anyway with all of the NBA like rule changes. Who wants to watch street ball all the time very boring run up and down the floor and people go crazy over the easiest shot in the game. please bring real basketball back where a good coach can win games with good coaching. 

What rule charges are going to turn college basketball into street ball?