Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

49 minutes ago, drewheck said:

b1402a71ba45d7c0442bb9d3bf66d18a.jpglooks like gelon is staying

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using BtownBanners mobile app

I really don't think Thomas and James stay in the draft, let alone Rojo. Someone has to go and the first person on the list is Gelon. I don't see how Gelon gets a single minute with this team next year.

Archie has to know something..

I really don't think Thomas and James stay in the draft, let alone Rojo. Someone has to go and the first person on the list is Gelon. I don't see how Gelon gets a single minute with this team next year.

Archie has to know something..

Imo. Blackmons euro league or d league tb has alot to gain by coming back still slot of dominoes left to fall

Sent from my SM-G900R6 using BtownBanners mobile app

I keep seeing the phrase "Archie must know something" in regards to the oversigning situation. Just my opinion, but we should consider the possibility that he's as uncertain as we are (or at least less certain than some believe). If the guys without an agent were certain they were leaving, particularly TB and JBJ, they just would have just hired an agent. If the players aren't certain, then neither is their coach that they just met a few weeks ago. The fact that he went after the existing recruits just tells us he thought they were quality players that he thought he could acquire given the difficulties of recruiting for at a new position. I think he's hedging his bets. He must know that no one can reasonably criticize him for "Creaning" (if those guys come back) given that it's a situation that he inherited. I'm very optimistic about CAM, but let's keep in mind that these are kids that have no idea what they want and that this is what Crean left him if he has to "cut" guys.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BtownBanners mobile app

This is just an thought, not sourced but just thinking. What if Hartman's return is not on scholly? That would free up another spot and if JBJ decides to play for money where ever that might be, we would be ok. Hartman already has his Bachelor's, I think this past year, and is working on his Master's. There has been a lot of discussion recently about player's playing their final year without scholarships, maybe this could be one of those cases that Hartman bought into CAMs vision for next season and knows the over signed scholly situation and since he has his bachelor's and most likely a nice cushy job after this year, maybe he came back paying his own way, or some other way, to finish his master's and make a run in the tourney. Just a thought. I really don't like the situation that was left for Miller to contend with, but I don't think it will take him long to straighten this mess out.

10 minutes ago, reconmkd said:

This is just an thought, not sourced but just thinking. What if Hartman's return is not on scholly? That would free up another spot and if JBJ decides to play for money where ever that might be, we would be ok. Hartman already has his Bachelor's, I think this past year, and is working on his Master's. There has been a lot of discussion recently about player's playing their final year without scholarships, maybe this could be one of those cases that Hartman bought into CAMs vision for next season and knows the over signed scholly situation and since he has his bachelor's and most likely a nice cushy job after this year, maybe he came back paying his own way, or some other way, to finish his master's and make a run in the tourney. Just a thought. I really don't like the situation that was left for Miller to contend with, but I don't think it will take him long to straighten this mess out.

I've wondered the same thing about a guy like Priller. If he will have his degree after this semester, maybe he is willing to move on, knowing the scholarship situation.

Priller missed games because of lack of progress toward a degree this season. Highly doubt he is graduating early.

I chose the route to pursue two bachelor degrees, as it sounds like Priller did the same. Looking back, I have no idea why I didn't finish one and just go to grad school. I wonder if Priller didn't do that so he couldn't be so easily moved?

I keep seeing the phrase "Archie must know something" in regards to the oversigning situation. Just my opinion, but we should consider the possibility that he's as uncertain as we are (or at least less certain than some believe). If the guys without an agent were certain they were leaving, particularly TB and JBJ, they just would have just hired an agent. If the players aren't certain, then neither is their coach that they just met a few weeks ago. The fact that he went after the existing recruits just tells us he thought they were quality players that he thought he could acquire given the difficulties of recruiting for at a new position. I think he's hedging his bets. He must know that no one can reasonably criticize him for "Creaning" (if those guys come back) given that it's a situation that he inherited. I'm very optimistic about CAM, but let's keep in mind that these are kids that have no idea what they want and that this is what Crean left him if he has to "cut" guys.

Sent from my SM-G935V using BtownBanners mobile app

Really good take, and I could see Archie being in the middle of those two thoughts. I think he has a game plan, but is uncertain how everything will play out with JBJ, Bryant, and RoJo. It's hard for anyone to predict even though we have a good idea of what the players should do based on what we saw this entire season(s).

If all three come back, and then we lose players like Gelon and McSwain, we could be a top 10 team. There was no excuse not to be a top 25 team last year........

A lot of possibilities, but could end up being a top year if all things fall into place :)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

1 hour ago, JaybobHoosier said:

Really good take, and I could see Archie being in the middle of those two thoughts. I think he has a game plan, but is uncertain how everything will play out with JBJ, Bryant, and RoJo. It's hard for anyone to predict even though we have a good idea of what the players should do based on what we saw this entire season(s).

If all three come back, and then we lose players like Gelon and McSwain, we could be a top 10 team. There was no excuse not to be a top 25 team last year........

A lot of possibilities, but could end up being a top year if all things fall into place :)

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Nice to see you back.  Is this your first post back?

I can't believe that someone as prepared as Coach Miller is reputed to be hasn't worked out the various scenarios and their solutions. He may not know precisely how this will play out but I'm confident he knows what he will do in each possible situation.

14 minutes ago, cthomas said:

I can't believe that someone as prepared as Coach Miller is reputed to be hasn't worked out the various scenarios and their solutions. He may not know precisely how this will play out but I'm confident he knows what he will do in each possible situation.

I think so, too. If he didn't have an idea what he was planning to do or was extremely worried about the situation, he could've just given any of the three new recruits the release from the LOIs they asked for -- no harm, no foul. I don't put any stock into the fact that Blackmon and Bryant haven't hired agents. Troy Williams didn't hire an agent last year and there was zero chance he was coming back. 

Previous target Jordan Tucker didn't seem to make the top 100 in final scout rankings. Whoever continually mentioned that they believe Smith is better than Tucker is not alone on their views.

1 minute ago, Jketch said:

Previous target Jordan Tucker didn't seem to make the top 100 in final scout rankings. Whoever continually mentioned that they believe Smith is better than Tucker is not alone on their views.

I think several people did. Not sure how Tucker got so highly rated.