Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

2 hours ago, recker222000 said:

So if 400 players declare the nba is going to evaluate them all? They are only acout 60 draft picks.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

no... Just because they declare doesn't mean they will ever get feedback. But they have to declare to be eligible to receive feedback. NBA teams can invite any declared player in for a meeting but don't have to, and only a select few are invited to the combine. But the NBA team can't even invite a player if they don't declare.

To compare this to corporate America. I currently have an open position in my office, I can invite any applicant for an interview but I'm definitely not inviting them all... I'm also not going to interview somebody that never even applied.

OG could have been so much more special here, only seeing flashes his first season due to limited minutes, then getting injured this season man I would kill to see him play a full season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I can't imagine rojo will stay in the draft. I could be wrong but I just can't see him getting drafted.

No but there was chatter earlier he could leave as a grad transfer. Starting to think jbj is gone no matter what. Bryant is thw wild card.

OG could have been so much more special here, only seeing flashes his first season due to limited minutes, then getting injured this season man I would kill to see him play a full season

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

We really only saw him for maybe a year tops. He did not play hardly at all the first half of last year. Still amazing to me he was so lightly recruited.

Rojo staying in the draft would be him transferring but not wanting to sit a year. He doesn't belong in the draft but it is basically a "why the hell not" type of thing. He is a master of none and those sort of players seem to not last.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

You never know with kids. They get nba delusions in their head and there is no stopping them. Troy knew he wasnt getting drafted but he was going no matter what.

Rob is realistically not going anywhere, not particularly athletic or explosive, only shown flashes of good defense and inconsistent shooter. Teams won't take that risk, he's probably only going so he knows what the scouts want instead of just plain guessing on it.

At this point, he's not even good enough to play in China I don't think. We'll see what happens, that's just what I think.

9 minutes ago, Ajwhitis said:

Rob is realistically not going anywhere, not particularly athletic or explosive, only shown flashes of good defense and inconsistent shooter. Teams won't take that risk, he's probably only going so he knows what the scouts want instead of just plain guessing on it.

At this point, he's not even good enough to play in China I don't think. We'll see what happens, that's just what I think.

Man he's not thattttt bad. Heck, 40 year old Stephon Marbury is averaging 22 a game in China right now. Rojo will have the chance to play pro ball somewhere when his college career is over, it just probably won't be in the NBA. 

Man he's not thattttt bad. Heck, 40 year old Stephon Marbury is averaging 22 a game in China right now. Rojo will have the chance to play pro ball somewhere when his college career is over, it just probably won't be in the NBA. 

China is actually legit, there's talent there. I don't think he can succeed in China right now is all I'm saying, I think with a good year next he could maybe even get drafted. Hell, why not.

3 minutes ago, Ajwhitis said:

China is actually legit, there's talent there. I don't think he can succeed in China right now is all I'm saying, I think with a good year next he could maybe even get drafted. Hell, why not.

I don't doubt that they have talent, but c'mon... Dudes who can't make NBA rosters are putting up 30+ ppg over there. Jimmer Fredette is averaging almost 38 a game. Rojo would be able to find a role, but I doubt he's thinking about playing in China right now. 

http://basketball.realgm.com/international/league/40/chinese-cba/stats

11 hours ago, recker222000 said:

No but there was chatter earlier he could leave as a grad transfer. Starting to think jbj is gone no matter what. Bryant is thw wild card.

Rojo would have to do a lot of work this summer to be a grad transfer. When I say a lot of work, it means more summer classes than anyone I've ever seen take in one summer.

I would guess that many of the upper tier players want to hear teams say, "if you're available at this spot, we are likely to take you" kind of thing, and others are just looking for what team will sign them to a FA contract, and others merely want to know what they have to do to make it.

Where I think it may actually be a disservice to those players is if a player goes through the evaluation one year and is told you need to improve on X, Y and Z, and you don't. Sometimes you just are what you are, and now a team knows that instead of thinking they can coach you up, which may make you less attractive.

37 minutes ago, bigrod said:

I would guess that many of the upper tier players want to hear teams say, "if you're available at this spot, we are likely to take you" kind of thing, and others are just looking for what team will sign them to a FA contract, and others merely want to know what they have to do to make it.

Where I think it may actually be a disservice to those players is if a player goes through the evaluation one year and is told you need to improve on X, Y and Z, and you don't. Sometimes you just are what you are, and now a team knows that instead of thinking they can coach you up, which may make you less attractive.

I don't know if it's much of a concern, but I wonder how often the evaluation suggestions may conflict with the role the college coach envisions.  If a player is told to improve his dribble or drive to the basket and then tries to "showcase" his abilities to the detriment of the team.

Like I said, maybe it doesn't happen like that, but I think we probably saw something like that with Vonleh.  I would think that some of the kids that start their college careers with one eye already focused on the next level couldn't help but look at it as a way to show off their individual game.

Will ROJO get drafted if he stays in the draft?  Not a chance in hell.

If he doesn't return to college, could he make a living somewhere in the world playing basketball?  Absolutely.

People saying he can't play pro ball somewhere are crazy.  He could easily make more money playing somewhere overseas than 90% of the people on this page earn, myself included.  

If he is done with college and wants to go make six figures playing basketball, more power to him.

Edited by Hoosier in NC

3 minutes ago, Hoosier in NC said:

Will ROJO get drafted if he stays in the draft?  Not a chance in hell.

If he doesn't return to college, could he make a living somewhere in the world playing basketball?  Absolutely.

People saying he can't play pro ball somewhere are crazy.  He could easily make more money playing somewhere oversees than 90% of the people on this page earn, myself included.  

If he is done with college and wants to go make six figures playing basketball, more power to him.

I don't disagree with you, if he's really ready to go, then go. I would say that the overseas option isn't going to change by staying next year. So why not return, get your degree and see how the new staff/team works out?