Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

25 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

So......All three of these guys heard the word defense and toughness from new coach and now want to go NBA'ing.
Oh my....

Sent from my XT1585 using BtownBanners mobile app

I heard they were freaked out by how much Archie likes pizza and didn't want anything to do with him. 

And all they'll hear from NBA scouts is that they need to improve their defense and toughness if they want to get drafted.   Maybe it's the kick in the @$$ they all need and will be a blessing in disguise.

Bingo....My 7 yr old grandson says this same thing when he watches with me. Think he gets it....???

And here's one of the worst takes yet. Unreal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

It you're the guy that turns it over 6 times in 25 mins, is 6'10" and gets 6 rebs per game, or can't guard a folding chair, and needs confirmation of this, you might need take off he crimson glasses to look in the basketball mirror.

Since we're discussing this in this thread, here is Chad Ford's draft predictions: http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18875530/2017-nba-draft-out

In summary:

OG: 15-25

TB: 25-50

JBJR: Possible 2nd Rounder but most likely undrafted

RoJo: Not discussed

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

It you're the guy that turns it over 6 times in 25 mins, is 6'10" and gets 6 rebs per game, or can't guard a folding chair, and needs confirmation of this, you might need take off he crimson glasses to look in the basketball mirror.

It's just like a job interview or career fair. You go through the process, and if you aren't ready? Guess what? You at least get the experience of going through the process, going through workouts with NBA teams, hearing from NBA GM's and scouts, etc.

It's a great opportunity for these guys and they should be taking advantage of it.

After watching IU basketball for over 50 yrs, I think I understand way more than you believe.

You watching Indiana basketball in the 70's has nothing to do with the new NBA draft process that was introduced 1 year ago.

Based on this reply, we know you don't.

So tell me all you do know Grasshopper... I got three minutes.

You watching Indiana basketball in the 70's has nothing to do with the new NBA draft process that was introduced 1 year ago.

So explain oh wise one how it's different. Will these guys get a participatory trophy for going thru this process, or maybe learn that what they were COACHED to do in the first will place would ACTUALLY make them a BETTER PLAYER.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Losing all three would hurt next year but it would help balance our classes. I'm surprised to see Bryant so high on the draft board. He'd be a huge risk as a 1st rounder. 

I would fire my GM if they used a first on him. A second rounder I could see but still stay and go in a weaker draft. 

9 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I would fire my GM if they used a first on him. A second rounder I could see but still stay and go in a weaker draft. 

I get that NBA people like big guys that can shoot, but at this point I don't even know what position TB would be able to play. His feet are too slow to play on the perimeter and he's too weak to play down low. He would get eaten alive on D. I think Crean trying to make him a wing screwed with his game and he never really got comfortable on the court. If he stays he could get back to doing what made him so successful his freshman year. 

It's just like a job interview or career fair. You go through the process, and if you aren't ready? Guess what? You at least get the experience of going through the process, going through workouts with NBA teams, hearing from NBA GM's and scouts, etc.

It's a great opportunity for these guys and they should be taking advantage of it.

I doubt any feedback they get from this will be much different than they received from their prior coach. If not, their prior coach was doing a really poor job.

This whole "test the waters" thing needs to go away. It's not good for college bball.

2 hours ago, NCHoosier said:

Since we're discussing this in this thread, here is Chad Ford's draft predictions: http://insider.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/18875530/2017-nba-draft-out

In summary:

OG: 15-25

TB: 25-50

JBJR: Possible 2nd Rounder but most likely undrafted

RoJo: Not discussed

Interesting that Chad Ford would mention Blackmon as even a possible 2nd rounder.

Frank Mason is projected to go at the end of the 2nd round. There is no chance that Blackmon gets drafted. I honestly don't think he would get drafted if there were 3 rounds.

2 minutes ago, Schreckbagger said:

I doubt any feedback they get from this will be much different than they received from their prior coach. If not, their prior coach was doing a really poor job.

This whole "test the waters" thing needs to go away. It's not good for college bball.

The College and Pro game are very different the feedback they get from NBA scouts if first hand info on what they want to see.  Versus feedback from coaches on what they THINK NBA scouts are looking for. 

And if helping college kids make informed choices is bad for the college game then there is a really big problem.  Huge in fact.  

It's not good for college BBall? The game has changed, the rule isn't made for fans, it's made for players. You can't argue that prior coaches tell them what to work on, because college basketball and the NBA are different beasts completely. The rule was made so kids can continue to make a living instead of risking it all and ultimately failing. The NBA scouts don't only tell them what to work on, they also tell the players whether they'd benefit in going to school for another year or not.

As for Bryant, I think he would benefit financially if he came back, because even if he did not improve next year, he'd still likely be drafted higher than this year because the big man depth in next years draft is shaping up to be a lot weaker than this years. This year is stacked with big guys. Blackmon should go however, his defensive inability did not come from a lack of effort, it came from a lack of skill on that end, he lack lateral quickness, but he is however an offensive power and NBA teams will pay for that, even if he isn't drafted, he'll have an opportunity to impress in summer camps and workouts.