Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Didn't miller say he will announce them all together once they each decide? James and Collin were together.

Bryant / OG will be together I suppose. 

I'm confused. James and Collin were what together?

4 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:
  • He wants to be a Hoosier.
  • Archie very, very much wants him to be a Hoosier.
  • We will be losing three of our current guards.

Robert Phinisee? Hoosier.

Junior Green and Freshman Phinisee in 2018? I like that a lot. Picking up a long term PG every two years is a great way to handle the position if you're not getting 5-star talent. Means you always have an upperclassman who is experienced and an underclassman to learn, Jr/Fr and Sr/So.

My personal opinion is that i think TB stays and OG goes. OG is going to be at least a first round pick from all the mock drafts I've seen, so it makes sense for him to go now. TB on the other hand could move up the draft boards if he has a better year than he did last year. And the video of him working with the other bigs gives me more of a reason to believe he's buying into CAM's message.

51 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

First off, if you followed Mr. Gelon on Instagram you'd know he's already met a nice girl.  She's a total smokeshow, and she's crazy about him.  I thought about posting a pic, but feel that's a little creepy and over the line.  Just take my word, Grant is doing just fine.

Next, best case for Mr. Gelon would be to work himself into a productive role at Indiana.  He has good size and good athleticism (hard to know this since he got very few minutes this year).  He came in as a shooter, and was 60% from 3 this year.  There is no reason he can't be a Zeisloft guy as he gets older.  Zeisloft became a huge part of a great team.

Lastly...  This is just me, but I feel like your post is an example of why there is some hesitation to call IU a great place to play.  Indiana fans seem just as happy to turn against their own players as to cheer for them.  That, to me, is not a good fan.  A good fan accepts the players and hopes for them to play well, not to get replaced by a better prospect.  We hated when Crean dumped his own guys.  Indiana high school coaches hate it. And I'm sure that the players hate it.  I'm going to coin a new phrase here.  Let's Crean the Crean.  

We are going to be VERY LUCKY to have our team next year be the same guys as last year.  Let's be grateful for that.  From the looks of it, we may have the exact same guys, with the addition of Justin Smith and Collin Hartman (OG is gone, but he was out anyway).  Add to this a season of maturity and experience, and ideally better coaching and defense.  Let's realize we're in a better position now than last year, and not turn against our own guys.  Then go all in on dissecting the 2018 class, which will be huge and won't require dumping our own guys.

I think you read too much into what I wrote. I never advocated "Creaning" him or anyone else. Could Grant develop into a contributor at IU? Of course he could. I doubt it happens though, that is why I mentioned "him" realizing his future is murky at IU, but he could play more elsewhere. That is my opinion, but will be his decision.

I don't follow him, nor anyone else, on social media.  

51 minutes ago, Stuhoo said:

Does anyone else find it curious that neither OG nor TB have declared for draft analysis yet (even without an agent)? I know that the declaration deadline is not until April 23, but still...

If they don't do so by about next Monday, I am going to start to be very intrigued and guardedly optimistic.

My first thought was that Archie would have everyone announce together like the assistant coaches. But Hartman already announced he was coming back so I guess that's not in the cards. Must still be weighing their options.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

Does anyone else find it curious that neither OG nor TB have declared for draft analysis yet (even without an agent)? I know that the declaration deadline is not until April 23, but still...

If they don't do so by about next Monday, I am going to start to be very intrigued and guardedly optimistic.

It seems kind of odd to me. Our season has been over for 3+ weeks, and they've known about Archie being the new coach for almost 2 weeks. I get that they want to take their time and make the right call, but there's no downside to declaring without an agent. You would think that if they were thinking about testing the waters they would've already done so. If they're both going to do it idk what they're waiting for. 

First off, if you followed Mr. Gelon on Instagram you'd know he's already met a nice girl.  She's a total smokeshow, and she's crazy about him.  I thought about posting a pic, but feel that's a little creepy and over the line.  Just take my word, Grant is doing just fine.
Next, best case for Mr. Gelon would be to work himself into a productive role at Indiana.  He has good size and good athleticism (hard to know this since he got very few minutes this year).  He came in as a shooter, and was 60% from 3 this year.  There is no reason he can't be a Zeisloft guy as he gets older.  Zeisloft became a huge part of a great team.
Lastly...  This is just me, but I feel like your post is an example of why there is some hesitation to call IU a great place to play.  Indiana fans seem just as happy to turn against their own players as to cheer for them.  That, to me, is not a good fan.  A good fan accepts the players and hopes for them to play well, not to get replaced by a better prospect.  We hated when Crean dumped his own guys.  Indiana high school coaches hate it. And I'm sure that the players hate it.  I'm going to coin a new phrase here.  Let's Crean the Crean.  
We are going to be VERY LUCKY to have our team next year be the same guys as last year.  Let's be grateful for that.  From the looks of it, we may have the exact same guys, with the addition of Justin Smith and Collin Hartman (OG is gone, but he was out anyway).  Add to this a season of maturity and experience, and ideally better coaching and defense.  Let's realize we're in a better position now than last year, and not turn against our own guys.  Then go all in on dissecting the 2018 class, which will be huge and won't require dumping our own guys.

He's got a hot girlfriend? Well that changes everything

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm really wondering what Archie is going to say to guys like Durham and Moore. OG seems to be the only guy leaving, and I would assume that is Smith's spot to take. If no one else leaves it would be an awkward situation, especially after Archie said he wants all the recruits as well. There simply isn't room.

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

Well said sir...

17 minutes ago, VO5 said:

I'm really wondering what Archie is going to say to guys like Durham and Moore. OG seems to be the only guy leaving, and I would assume that is Smith's spot to take. If no one else leaves it would be an awkward situation, especially after Archie said he wants all the recruits as well. There simply isn't room.

I think it's all a juggling act until he knows for certain what OG, TB, and JB are doing. If he loses all 3, then he takes the three recruits if he can. If all or some come back then he'll have to decide whether he wants the recruits(assuming they all want to still come) or if a few current guys need to "transfer." Until he knows for sure, he will try to keep all options on the table. 

If we somehow manage to keep OG do we still have room for Smith? Having that length and athleticism would be niceeee.

Looking at the roster it looks like we're full if everyone comes back.. I would honestly rather keep OG, lose Blackmon, and bring in Smith if everyone else on the current roster decides to come back.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

12 minutes ago, kottke said:

I think it's all a juggling act until he knows for certain what OG, TB, and JB are doing. If he loses all 3, then he takes the three recruits if he can. If all or some come back then he'll have to decide whether he wants the recruits(assuming they all want to still come) or if a few current guys need to "transfer." Until he knows for sure, he will try to keep all options on the table. 

...players have until April 23 to declare for the draft and may withdraw their name any time until May 24 while keeping their eligibility.

While any or all of them might be willing to wait until the 23rd to see who declares, I don't see any of them waiting until May 24, to make their college decisions.  So unless CAM can give them some pretty solid expectations for how he sees the roster shaping up, I could envision losing all 3 given that not a single player to date has indicated he's leaving the program.  

Don't get me wrong, I love that Hartman is coming back. But I think it really threw a wrench into roster balancing and incoming recruits. I'm of the opinion we need 2 recruits to come in this year, otherwise Archie is going to struggle with class balancing for a couple years. Next year could potentially be a 6-7 man class if he would fill all the spots. That is way too large..

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Don't get me wrong, I love that Hartman is coming back. But I think it really threw a wrench into roster balancing and incoming recruits. I'm of the opinion we need 2 recruits to come in this year, otherwise Archie is going to struggle with class balancing for a couple years. Next year could potentially be a 6-7 man class if he would fill all the spots. That is way too large..

Good point about roster balancing.  But those spots don't have to be freshmen.  He can get transfers that may bring more experience.

We are obviously over-committed right now.  What's nuts is that this is with recruits decommitting.  Crean still had additional offers on the table!  Two months ago we were all waiting for Jordan Tucker to commit to be the 4th in the class, and hoping we could land Mark Smith too.  What the heck.

4 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Good point about roster balancing.  But those spots don't have to be freshmen.  He can get transfers that may bring more experience.

We are obviously over-committed right now.  What's nuts is that this is with recruits decommitting.  Crean still had additional offers on the table!  Two months ago we were all waiting for Jordan Tucker to commit to be the 4th in the class, and hoping we could land Mark Smith too.  What the heck.

Yeah it seems likely we would have to go that route with a player or 2. Something just dawned on me as well. I wonder if Gelon would be willing to redshirt this year, putting him in the 2017 class. That way we would have 2 guys with him and Smith. Just a thought. I'm sure the staff will figure it all out.