Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

7 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

It doesn't work like that. You can't just say well since we were close last year and have a new coach we will get over the hump. I fully expect to be better. Just not a squad that makes it to the E8 or is ranked in the top 10 during the season

That's not what I'm saying.. It's not like it was a case where we tried our best in those games and got beat by teams that were just better than us. Even after OG went down we had one of the most talented rosters in the Big Ten. We usually lost games because we didn't play defense, we were careless with the ball, and we didn't have an offense if 3s weren't falling. The talent is already there, it's up to Archie to get the most out of it. Crean obviously couldn't do that.

5 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

That's not what I'm saying.. It's not like it was a case where we tried our best in those games and got beat by teams that were just better than us. Even after OG went down we had one of the most talented rosters in the Big Ten. We usually lost games because we didn't play defense, we were careless with the ball, and we didn't have an offense if 3s weren't falling. The talent is already there, it's up to Archie to get the most out of it. Crean obviously couldn't do it. 

And again I expect this team to be better. I can see Archie getting a year long ranked club out of this bunch. Just not a top ten squad. 

4 hours ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Phinisee and Langford would be nice starts to the '18 class.

Obviously, we would all love to have Romeo but I think Phinisee is  program changer...4 year floor general with fantastic IQ

25 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

This is a great point as well. Just keeping turnovers down even 3 or 4 could have gave us an extra win or two, maybe more last year. Probably a NCAA team who could get hot and beat anyone. We will find out in 6 months.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

We averaged 15.2 turnovers and gave up 73.3 points a game last year... 14th and 13th in the conference respectively. Yikes. Relatively minor improvements in those two categories alone would be huge.

13 minutes ago, SteelerHoosier said:

And again I expect this team to be better. I can see Archie getting a year long ranked club out of this bunch. Just not a top ten squad. 

We'll have to wait to see how good they look with Archie coaching them. Top 10 might be too high but regardless I think we'll be a tournament team. Once we're there anything can happen. 

Musa Jallow & Robert Phinisee are the realistic options to start the 18 class. Romeo if he waits till spring may come here. IMHO the more success we have with Archie the better. If we are a decent team, does he really wanna come here and be a savior? He is just looking for a place to rest his head for a year.

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Musa Jallow & Robert Phinisee are the realistic options to start the 18 class. Romeo if he waits till spring may come here. IMHO the more success we have with Archie the better. If we are a decent team, does he really wanna come here and be a savior? He is just looking for a place to rest his head for a year.

No he's looking for a place to build his brand. 

I foresee Romeo going to IU

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Is he bringing Billy Donovan with him?

Based on various posters on this board stating that Langford wasn't a Crean fan, our odds obviously increased with the hiring of Archie. Let's see what happens in April. Excited to see who Archie prioritizes.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

My prediction is history repeats itself in this aspect.

RMK: 6 years at Army

CAM: 6 years at Dayton

RMK: 1st recruiting class 7 (3 from Indiana) recruits highlighted by Buckner

CAM: 1st recruiting class 6 or 7 (3 from Indiana) recruits highlighted by Romeo

We lose JBJ, Johnson, Priller, Newkirk, McSwain, Hartman, and Bryant.

In state recruits we get are Romeo, Phinisee, and either Jallow or Anderson.

Do we have a shot with Keion Brooks (2018) out of Fort Wayne?

He's a borderline 5* PF who's being recruited by most of the B1G, but I think Michigan State and PU are up there. 

It doesn't seem like Crean prioritized him.

5 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

He's a borderline 5* PF who's being recruited by most of the B1G, but I think Michigan State and PU are up there. 

I remember seeing something right after Crean got fired about how it made him more interested in us. I forget if it was a tweet or an article or what.

Here it was. I don't have premium access so all I saw was the title. https://indiana.rivals.com/news/2019-four-star-keion-brooks-open-to-iu-after-coaching-change?preview=true

Edited by Hoosierfan2017

Just now, AKHoosier said:

He's a sophomore 2019 class. I agree he should be prioritized for that class although he is still kind of awkward for his size but I think he will be a very good college basketball player. 

Yeah. MSU has put in a lot of work already. He likes them. But we have a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners