Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Brass Cannon

Player and Recruit Retention News/Discussion & Potential Transfers

4 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Multiple sources tweeting that Anthony Grant (played at Dayton) has been hired to replace Miller at Dayton.  If true, then we'll likely start getting some assistant coach news fairly soon.

I hope so! April eval period right around the corner and Miller needs a staff.

11 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

Not saying I blame him. Just don't see his skill level translating well at the NBA level at this point. 

You might get guaranteed money for two years if you're OG, but what happens after that? I'd say he's got it pretty good at IU. Why not stay, work on your game, work on getting a degree, show you can evolve as a player, and be a lottery pick in 2018?

Or tear your ACL again and be done forever. It's too risky on his behalf. He's projected lottery right now, might as well go and get yourself that money when you know for almost a fact that it will be there.

How?

Just think none of us are well placed to guess on who will and won't get drafted or succeed in the league . I've also noticed that die hard college fans are very biased against the NBA and that clouds their judgment. Finally, I think people shouldn't count other people's money or tell young men what they should or shouldn't try to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

11 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

I know we all wondered during the season if there was some kind of locker room drama that was affecting their performance, but they all seem to enjoy being around each other. With every day that goes by it becomes more and more obvious that Crean was the problem imo. 

Yes, there is no doubt the issues his teams had over time reflect the coach. Leadership and direction are very important. Having said that I don't give the players a free pass. It's not like Crean was telling them "play matador defense!" or "throw the ball away regularly without any pressure". Crean allowed it to happen repeatedly and obviously didn't put them in the best position to succeed, so it's ultimately his fault. But I still say all of these guys have played enough ball at a high enough level to know not to do the dumb stuff they did. They aren't poor mis-guided children that were duped into playing mind-numbingly stupid basketball, they get some of that blame too.

Dump priller. Scholarships are renewed annually. We need room for someone who can contribute

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

Nope. Check the Indiana University Student Athlete Bill of Rights.

Guaranteed a four year scholarship regardless of performance, injury, etc.

Somebody asked earlier today about the deadline for withdrawing from draft consideration.

Players have until April 23 to declare for the draft and may withdraw their name any time until May 24 while keeping their eligibility. They also can participate in the NBA Draft combine from May 9-14 and starting in late April may work out for individual teams to gain feedback from scouts and team personnel.

Just think none of us are well placed to guess on who will and won't get drafted or succeed in the league . I've also noticed that die hard college fans are very biased against the NBA and that clouds their judgment. Finally, I think people shouldn't count other people's money or tell young men what they should or shouldn't try to achieve.

It's a discussion board though. You can't not talk about the NBA on a college basketball board.

8 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Or tear your ACL again and be done forever. It's too risky on his behalf. He's projected lottery right now, might as well go and get yourself that money when you know for almost a fact that it will be there.

None of the mock draft's I've seen have him in going in the lottery at this point. Also, he could tear his ACL at practice or in a D-League game. Don't think you make decisions based on the fear of injury. I feel like his stock would only improve by staying. 

10 minutes ago, goonaha said:

It's a message board where we talk about college athletes. There will obviously be some NBA talk. I'm not talking directly to the players. Everything here is opinion based. 

It's a message board where we talk about college athletes. There will obviously be some NBA talk. I'm not talking directly to the players. Everything here is opinion based. 

That's fine. My opinion is that the majority of the NBA takes I see here are bad.

18 minutes ago, Baltimore Hoosier said:

None of the mock draft's I've seen have him in going in the lottery at this point. Also, he could tear his ACL at practice or in a D-League game. Don't think you make decisions based on the fear of injury. I feel like his stock would only improve by staying. 

I really want OG to return, because I'm a selfish IU fan.  That being said...

OG should care about being a first round pick, not a lottery pick.  That would give him the guaranteed millions for multiple years that should be the baseline for going pro.  Would he make more if he was a lottery pick?  Yes.  But if he were successful in the NBA, he would also have one less prime year in the league to earn big money as a free agent.  That would likely cost him more than the extra money he would earn from being a higher first round pick.

24 minutes ago, goonaha said:

Haha... I'm pretty sure there aren't many players coming to this board or any other board for advice. Pretty sure they'll be alright.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

If I was OG I'd take the money and run. I really want him back, but I wouldn't take the risk of a career ruining injury to play for free if I was him.

Wouldn't hate on him for leaving but think there are some reasons to stay too. We'll see how all of this plays out.