Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Magnanimous

It's spill the beans time

We did this when Wilson got fired (mostly related to his drinking), but now that Crean is out, let's hear some program stories from his tenure that we dared not mention while he was head coach.

I heard he had an absolutely filthy mouth with his favorite word being c***. It got dialed down a bit, but it was the nickname for every player those first few seasons.

Anyone have any specific details on his post-Syracuse meltdown?

Only thing I've ever heard is from my grandpa. He told me this a long while ago so I may have the details wrong. He said he met former UL Cardinal Stephan Van Treese. Stephan told him he had thought about going to IU but decided not to because CWat told him Crean broke promises to players.

I remember these being the players my grandpa mentioned, but, since they both graduated from HS in 09, it seems like it may have had to be another player from either IU or UL.

The story sounds like it very well could have been true though, evidenced by the "Creaning" phenomenon.

Sent from my Pixel XL using BtownBanners mobile app

Dang we're gonna bury the guy before the coaching seat's cold. I know a few stories that I'm sure others here know too, but I got what I wanted out of this situation so I'm not gonna pile on him. He ran a clean program, graduated his players, and gave me the best memories I have of IU basketball. The man gave us his best, it just wasn't good enough. He's gone now so any ill-will I have toward him is too. 

Dang. Making me wish I had thought about it this way before posting.

Yeah I am just happy that he left the program in better shape then he started. Crean was a lot of things and probably said a lot of things too but the thing I will remember him by and all my stories boil down to how much he loved this program.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

11 minutes ago, CR3AMnCR1MS0N said:

Dang. Making me wish I had thought about it this way before posting.

No worries man! Honestly I'm interested in hearing the stories, Im sure there are a lot of them out there. I'm just not going to put the things I've heard on here because I've got nothing against Crean now that he's not our coach. My feelings toward him have done a 180 since we got the news lol. 

No worries man! Honestly I'm interested in hearing the stories, Im sure there are a lot of them out there. I'm just not going to put the things I've heard on here because I've got nothing against Crean now that he's not our coach. My feelings toward him have done a 180 since we got the news lol. 

Other than he's not a good enough coach for IU's future, I have no negative feelings toward him. I am unsure/skeptical about what kind of person he is. From almost any fan or person in the media, you'll here he's a great guy. Same for MOST of his players.
Then, I'll occasionally hear a story like these and makes me wonder.
The truth is, we (as a board) may never have firsthand, or 100% true secondhand knowledge of what happened in practice or the actual interactions with players. With this considered, you're right, we probably shouldn't sit here and judge or smear Crean's character. Especially since he never did anything to wrong IU or it's fans (like cheating or another scandal).

14 hours ago, CR3AMnCR1MS0N said:

Only thing I've ever heard is from my grandpa. He told me this a long while ago so I may have the details wrong. He said he met former UL Cardinal Stephan Van Treese. Stephan told him he had thought about going to IU but decided not to because CWat told him Crean broke promises to players.

I remember these being the players my grandpa mentioned, but, since they both graduated from HS in 09, it seems like it may have had to be another player from either IU or UL.

The story sounds like it very well could have been true though, evidenced by the "Creaning" phenomenon.

Watford seemed very upset about Crean's firing on twitter, so I'm going to have to say that it couldn't have been anything from CWat that should have any kind of impact on Van Treese's decision.

14 hours ago, Hoosierfan2017 said:

Dang we're gonna bury the guy before the coaching seat's cold. I know a few stories that I'm sure others here know too, but I got what I wanted out of this situation so I'm not gonna pile on him. He ran a clean program, graduated his players, and gave me the best memories I have of IU basketball. The man gave us his best, it just wasn't good enough. He's gone now so any ill-will I have toward him is too. 

How about a PM Then? :)

Watford seemed very upset about Crean's firing on twitter, so I'm going to have to say that it couldn't have been anything from CWat that should have any kind of impact on Van Treese's decision.

Yeah it didn't seem to add up correctly to me. Hard to say who the people really would have been, but, like I said, the not fulfilling promises thing wouldn't shock me.

I heard after we missed the NIT in 2014, Crean called a mandatory team meeting as soon as the NIT show was over and spent a solid hour screaming at everybody. Blasted the seniors for their lack of leadership, even trashed the walk-ons for not giving them more in practice and said they would never amount to anything after they left IU. 

3c10be183596527d90830d663d27a646.jpg

This is a good story of Coach ...

A passerby saw Crean as he noticed someone in need. Crean pulled over, bought some food, sat down and talked for a few minutes and handed them a Bible.

I agree, we got what was needed, he wasn't a good coach but I've heard several stories about him being a good man.

In Izzo's 3rd season, in early December there was an ugly loss to Detroit. MSU''s record was about 7-5 and the season was starting to look lost. One of the papers put out a survey on whether Tom was the right person for MSU and should he be fired. Yes or No.

Crean and Nick Saban caught wind of this and organized a group of MSU coaches, assistant coaches and their wives to purchase as many papers as possible and check, "yes." At the end of December, 1997 MSU went into Purdue and blew them out of the gym. Izzo has not looked back since.

When people want to rip Crean, we should remember how he went to bat for Tom. Those type of stories rarely get out.

10 minutes ago, VeevlandBrowns said:

In Izzo's 3rd season, in early December there was an ugly loss to Detroit. MSU''s record was about 7-5 and the season was starting to look lost. One of the papers put out a survey on whether Tom was the right person for MSU and should he be fired. Yes or No.

Crean and Nick Saban caught wind of this and organized a group of MSU coaches, assistant coaches and their wives to purchase as many papers as possible and check, "yes." At the end of December, 1997 MSU went into Purdue and blew them out of the gym. Izzo has not looked back since.

When people want to rip Crean, we should remember how he went to bat for Tom. Those type of stories rarely get out.

Look, I don't have anything bad to say about the guy. I don't know him personally and have never spoken to anyone who had more than second-hand information about him.

This story about buying up all the papers is just further indication to me that Crean was a master manipulator of the press. Look at how many people in the press "considered him a friend" or said he was a great man. It just seems to me that he every effort he could to get those guys on his side so that what was reported was always watered down.

I turly wish the guy the best. I think IU has set him up well for whatever he wants to do. I thank him for getting us back to respectability. He is a good coach, for a program that doesn't have the expectations that IU has.

3c10be183596527d90830d663d27a646.jpg

This is a good story of Coach ...

A passerby saw Crean as he noticed someone in need. Crean pulled over, bought some food, sat down and talked for a few minutes and handed them a Bible.

I agree, we got what was needed, he wasn't a good coach but I've heard several stories about him being a good man.

I was trying to find this the other day. I remember that. Nothing beats when he gave that homeless guy 500 bucks either. Crean was a solid human being. He may have been an ******* to some but everyone has bad days. Crean is a good person more days than bad and that counts for something.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I think you have typo that makes it read like they wanted him fired, but I got your point. This is really cool and funny

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app