Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Sign in to follow this  
Hovadipo

IU Candidate: Chris Collins (Northwestern)

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1489685240.300613.jpg

Title: Head coach

Team: Northwestern

Conference: Big Ten

Record: 72–58 (.554)

Biographical details

Born: April 20, 1974 (age 42)

Playing career

1992–1996 Duke

Position(s) Guard

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

1997–1998 Detroit Shock (assistant)

1998–2000 Seton Hall (assistant)

2000–2013 Duke (assistant)

2013–present Northwestern

I'd take him over Marshall or Alford any day.

However, why would he jump ship in the conference?  I know it's Indiana but still, that seems like a slimy move and I don;t see a guy of CC caliber and integrity doing so.  Also, I firmly believe if he were to somehow end up here and have success, he'd be gone in a heartbeat when Coach K retires.

So, no thanks.  Let's get a guy that will be here for the long haul.

21 minutes ago, Indy said:

However, why would he jump ship in the conference?  I know it's Indiana but still, that seems like a slimy move and I don;t see a guy of CC caliber and integrity doing so.  Also, I firmly believe if he were to somehow end up here and have success, he'd be gone in a heartbeat when Coach K retires.

Collins would come here no questions asked.

Collins would come here no questions asked.

Somebody will take him.Might as well be us.I like him behind Bennett and about the same as Holtman.After watching Xavier today I have a greater appreciation of Mack.

I like him and I was inclined not to when he got that job. Thought it was probably another K pedigree move that would fail but I've been really impressed with what he's done there. They have some grit now. 

I liked Carmody and think he did a decent job there, but Collins has changed the culture and the look of that program during his time there. In the long run, if you're going to compete in this league, it's tough to win gimmicking (the 1-3-1 stuff he insisted on playing, though I'm not wild about the offensive end either over the long haul) your way there and God bless Carmody but that's what he did. I'm sure his rationale was that you can't get the kind of kids at NU other Big Ten programs get so you have to out-clever them. Collins is recruiting guys other Big Ten teams wanted. Yes, he has to do it on the court but last year they were as good as the best of the Carmody seasons in the league and I think there's plenty of reason to believe they're going to get better from here. If Northwestern is serious about becoming competitive in the sport, Collins' approach is the superior one IMO.

HOWEVER, if he became the successor and had success at IU, then you'd better hope Coach K's successor does well at Duke, because if he doesn't, then they'll be coming after Collins if he has success at IU (theoretically). I like him a lot as a candidate. I wouldn't like the potential for him leaving because I have to believe that he is one that would leave for the Duke job.

Edited by VeevlandBrowns