Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Thank you, Tom Crean!

I am thankful that Tom Crean cleaned up the swamp. Of course he got $3 large to do it x 9 years... but he was willing to come, slip on the rubber gloves and do the job.

I am thankful that he ran a clean program, and graduated kids. And except for that stint with Hanner, Davis, etc, he had few off court issues (though the issues were, IMO, serious enough to consider letting him go at that time)...

I am thankful for the good years.

I am now thankful that he's gone... the inconsistencies were just too great to overlook, long term.

I wanted Crean gone for a couple years, as badly as anyone did.  Even I don't have any real hard feelings toward him.  He took over when few wanted it and got us out of a mess, he's just a mediocre coach that hit his ceiling and IU should expect more.  He'll be fine at a place where basketball isn't such a focal point.

I think some over do the "great guy" bit, as some things he's done suggest otherwise, but I don't think he's a bad guy either.

Thank you Coach Crean for pulling us out of the Sampson cesspool and making us respectable again. I will always remember your emphasis on academics, expanding our facilities, wins against ranked teams, high octane offenses, your being an excellent ambassador for IU basketball, 2 Big Ten Titles, Zeller, Oladipo, and Yogi--and yes-Priller! I will always remember the Crean era for the Wat-shot and beating U.K. 2 of the last 3 times we played them. That's a big deal to a southern Indiana Hoosier like me! I wish you could have brought us ALL the way back --but I am thankful for how far you did get us. It was time for a change but I will always appreciate your hard work and effort and will continue to root for you wherever you end up. Hoosiers forever!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Thanks Coach Crean. I really wanted you to be the coach that brought us back to greatness. You got us close but not quite close enough. I have the utmost respect for the honorable way you ran this program.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners

Time has to pass and wounds have to heal but wouldn't it be nice if someday we could schedule Tom's new team and he would return to the Hall and talk fondly of his time here. I loved it when Davis did that and it showed his class and maturity. I hope Crean will be able to do that someday too because I liked Crean even though it was time for a change. I still hold that same hope for Knight someday as well --but not for Sampson. Apart from Sampson--I would like our IU family to get and stay as united as possible. Pipe dream right now--but maybe some day....

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners