Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Walking Boot of Doom

Thank you, Tom Crean!

I shared this in the FTC thread. It was written by Tom Brew and summed up my feelings. TcC brought us from the Brink.

"I have mixed emotions about the Tom Crean firing at Indiana. First, let me say that I think it's the right move. This year was a massive disaster on the court and another year has passed with a sub-par recruiting class. Yes, he won two Big Ten titles but he didn't win a single NCAA Tournament game past the first weekend in his nine years.

That said, I really appreciate all the hard work that Tom put into this program. He inherited an absolute mess from Kelvin Sampson and put up with three years that NO OTHER COACH would have had the patience to deal with.

He made Indiana relevant again in the next six years, and he did it the right way. No probation, kids graduated, perfect APR scores, kids who caused problems got the boot.

What he didn't do was contend for NCAA titles and that's always going to matter at Indiana. We can do better. In the past 12 months, we have beaten Kentucky, Kansas and North Carolina -- and still didn't make the tournament. That's shameful.

I grew weary of how they played. Far too many turnovers and awful passes, far too many games where defense was optional. And far too many in-state misses in recruiting.

Thank you, Tom, and best of luck in the future. I'm grateful for the effort, even if it wasn't enough."

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I dont want him going to NC State. Their fans demand almost what we do yet are battling Duke and UNC each year for local talent. I hope he goes to Washington or LSU. Those are the two schools I would take a hard look at if it were me.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I dont want him going to NC State. Their fans demand almost what we do yet are battling Duke and UNC each year for local talent. I hope he goes to Washington or LSU. Those are the two schools I would take a hard look at if it were me.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

What about Cal? They have a strong area to recruit and are in a top heavy conference. I thought he maybe could find some success there also.

Also has anyone found any post firing quotes from Tom? He seems to have gone dark.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

35 minutes ago, Napleshoosier said:

Got your $hit out of Cook yet? Well hurry up or let Buckley do it for you. Don't worry, it's spring break so not many will see you. Cya Crean!

You're an angry man. Someone must've twisted your nips. Or are you just upset neither of your teams are dancing in the next round? :)

It was certainly time for a change.  Having said that, Tom Crean will always have a special spot in Indiana Basketball history for what he did.  He took the dumpster fire (to put it mildly) that was IU basketball and produced two big 10 Championships, a #1 seed, and made Indiana relevant again.  Not many people in his position would have left the situation he left to take on such a challenge.

But as he stated, "It's Indiana".

So, thanks to CTC for doing what not many wanted to do, or would have been able to do.  Hope the next coach sees this opportunity as a no brainer and makes the move because, "It's Indiana".

Edited by Indy

Just now, iufaninillinois said:

There is nothing in his resume thar says it won't be more of the same that has happened the last 6 yrs.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I agree.  Watch your mouth in regards to Alford being hired.  That shouldn't even be an option.

I really enjoyed CTC outside of the 40mins the game was being played. He is a good, generous, kind man. I wish so bad it would've worked out with him, but life will go on. I hope he goes somewhere and wins, he deserves it. Maybe our paths can cross again someday (I know they won't) 

Cool Top 10 Moments list from the Crean era. Man, I forgot how tense I was during the end of that Michigan game. Thank god for Yogi's little block on that put back.

http://www.crimsonquarry.com/2017/3/16/14948298/top-10-moments-tom-crean-at-indiana

Great post!

i will always be extremely thankful to Coach Crean.  He brought pride back to the program for this alum and added positively to the Hoosier basketball legacy.  Having been at IU from '73-77 I have plenty of memories to choose from but one of the favorites will always be Watford's shot beating Kentucky.  

Tom Crean, from the bottom of my heart, thank you for bringing excitement and pride back to The IU program.

Coach, thank you for showing us what it means to roll up your sleeves and try. Thank you for showing us that you can put together a competitive basketball team without cheating. Thank you for putting these players in the classroom and dazzling us with the degrees they've earned collectively. Thank you for making me proud to be a Hoosier again.

Most of all, thank you for having the courage to wade in where others were afraid of failure. You have the heart of a lion, and I've been your fan from the day they introduced you. Wherever you land, your team will be my second favorite ... as in I'm buying the sweatshirt and putting that school's ornament on my Christmas tree.

9 hours ago, Julie Sturgeon said:

Coach, thank you for showing us what it means to roll up your sleeves and try. Thank you for showing us that you can put together a competitive basketball team without cheating. Thank you for putting these players in the classroom and dazzling us with the degrees they've earned collectively. Thank you for making me proud to be a Hoosier again.

Most of all, thank you for having the courage to wade in where others were afraid of failure. You have the heart of a lion, and I've been your fan from the day they introduced you. Wherever you land, your team will be my second favorite ... as in I'm buying the sweatshirt and putting that school's ornament on my Christmas tree.

Outstanding first post Julie and we welcome you to btb.  Glad to have you join us.