Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Hovadipo

IU Candidate: Tony Bennett (University of Virginia)

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1489684039.515355.thumb.jpg.08bc9aec8178438d6e57025aaa242e84.jpg

Title : Head coach

Team: Virginia

Conference: ACC

Record: 187–82 (.695)

Annual salary: $2.1 million

Biographical details

Born: June 1, 1969 (age 47)

Clintonville, Wisconsin

Playing career

1988–1992 Green Bay

1992–1995 Charlotte Hornets

1996–1997 North Harbour Vikings

1997 Sydney Kings

Position(s) Point guard

Coaching career (HC unless noted)

Professional

1998–1999 North Harbour Kings

College

1999–2003 Wisconsin (asst.)

2003–2004 Washington State (asst.)

2004–2006 Washington State (assoc. HC)

2006–2009 Washington State

2009–present Virginia

National

2013 USA U-19 (asst.)

Head coaching record

Overall 256–115 (.690)

Tournaments NCAA: 9–6 (.600)

NIT: 2–2 (.500)

Any conference titles or conference tournament titles?

I wanted him 9 years ago.Really want him now.My favorite candidate.I dont buy into all that lack of offense crap.He coaches to his teams strength and the oppositions weaknesses.Absolutely owns Pitino and has put Virginia in the upper tier of the ACC.Relentless defense.I dont give a **** about how many points are scored and all that playing downhill garbage.Give me some fundamental basketball.

Heard a stat during their game today that Bennett's UVA teams are something like 96-6 when they score 70+ points in a game. Imagine winning games with defense. His offenses are often ranked really high in efficiency, so it's more of a pace issue, not how good they actually are on offense. 

Real question: if we do get Bennett are we even getting the better Bo Ryan assistant ? Gard is inexperienced and unproven but I'm sure there is a reason Bo basically gave him the job. Maybe I'm look into it too deep

25 minutes ago, gfunk69 said:

Real question: if we do get Bennett are we even getting the better Bo Ryan assistant ? Gard is inexperienced and unproven but I'm sure there is a reason Bo basically gave him the job. Maybe I'm look into it too deep

Bennett was an assistant for Ryan for a couple seasons before joining his father at Washington St.  Bennett was also brought to Wisconsin by his father, so it's not like he's Ryan's "guy". Gard was Ryan's longest tenured assistant, having coached with him for 23 years. 

Seems Gard's appointment has nothing to do with any referendum on Bennett.  

He is my preference for sure. His guys play with such control and discipline. I am no puritan, but I appreciate the no swearing policy in his program, not so much for what it prevents, but for what it instills. Such a requirement forces these young men to develop mastery over their mouths. It's directly related to teaching them control on the floor.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using BtownBanners mobile app

Andy Katz said he would like to see him here and thinks it could happen. If we dont get Billy or Brad I will gladly take him. Gard aint leaving anytime soon so I think he has put Wisky on the back burners.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app