Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Dalton26

Who do you want as head coach?

Who do you want as head coach?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. Who is your 2nd choice for head coach? (Assuming Stevens is first choice)

• Billy Donovan
    • Tony Bennett
    • Sean Miller
    • Archie Miller
    • Gregg Marshall
    • Steve Alford
    • Dane Fife
    • Other (Post in thread)

I don't think there's a love fest going on I think it has more to do with a lack of confidence in Glass. I can't say for sure though.

Plus as it was posed, you asked who we thought is going to be the next head coach. I would take four realistic candidates over him, but he is a good coach with a pretty good pedigree. He would be projectable in a situation at IU. He is just who I think we end up with.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

5 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

Plus as it was posed, you asked who we thought is going to be the next head coach. I would take four realistic candidates over him, but he is a good coach with a pretty good pedigree. He would be projectable in a situation at IU. He is just who I think we end up with.

I would only be comfortable with this idea if Jeff Capel already had a few successful head coaching years at Duke. 

Until that Duke position is filled, I'm not touching Collins. IU desperately needs a stable hire.

I would only be comfortable with this idea if Jeff Capel already had a few successful head coaching years at Duke. 

Until that Duke position is filled, I'm not touching Collins. IU desperately needs a stable hire.

He wouldn't be my first pick either, but more for the NBA. I could see him going his dads route.

1 hour ago, Stuhoo said:

I dunno. I like Collins and Archie a lot.

So, who DO you like (besides the potentially unattainable Stevens and Donovan)?

I don't follow it closely enough to have a list.   There are a ton of great basketball coaches out there.  Dakich made a point the other day that whoever the next coach is needs to be an "IU guy" so he understands both expectations and atmosphere; along with understanding how important it is to recruit Indiana.  I agree with the reasons....but I don't know that there's an "IU guy" who fits the mold.  Wittman?  Smart?  Eh...    Not sure I would buy into those guys at this point.  Alford has always been on that list; but he hasn't had great success; and I don't see him leaving UCLA.  Fife's not ready.  So, as far as an IU guy? I don't think there is one of those guys ready.  Someone mentioned a guy like Lawrence Frank...I don't buy him, either....

Long answer; but The obvious names are not the ones I want.  I don't want Billy Donovan or Archie Miller.  I could buy into Chris Holtmann, but I don't think he's leaving Butler.   I just think you go get the best basketball mind you can find; and a guy who's a PR whiz, can X and O; and someone who understands where he is.  Davis, Sampson, and Crean clearly did and do not.   No coach at Indiana should prioritize recruiting efforts ANYWHERE but the state of Indiana first.  That's my opinion; but I think a pretty valid one; and the coaches since Knight have vacated that priority to the detriment of the program.  

I don't follow it closely enough to have a list.   There are a ton of great basketball coaches out there.  Dakich made a point the other day that whoever the next coach is needs to be an "IU guy" so he understands both expectations and atmosphere; along with understanding how important it is to recruit Indiana.  I agree with the reasons....but I don't know that there's an "IU guy" who fits the mold.  Wittman?  Smart?  Eh...    Not sure I would buy into those guys at this point.  Alford has always been on that list; but he hasn't had great success; and I don't see him leaving UCLA.  Fife's not ready.  So, as far as an IU guy? I don't think there is one of those guys ready.  Someone mentioned a guy like Lawrence Frank...I don't buy him, either....

Long answer; but The obvious names are not the ones I want.  I don't want Billy Donovan or Archie Miller.  I could buy into Chris Holtmann, but I don't think he's leaving Butler.   I just think you go get the best basketball mind you can find; and a guy who's a PR whiz, can X and O; and someone who understands where he is.  Davis, Sampson, and Crean clearly did and do not.   No coach at Indiana should prioritize recruiting efforts ANYWHERE but the state of Indiana first.  That's my opinion; but I think a pretty valid one; and the coaches since Knight have vacated that priority to the detriment of the program.  

I think you can find an "IU guy" without it being an alum. I think a lot of coaches can fit that mold and be an outsider, so to speak. I think Crean was an "IU guy" in that he understood the IU values of graduating players, running a clean program (minus a few bumps in the road), and respecting the tradition. Crean is just a mediocre coach and isn't meeting the standard of winning that IU expects.

I also believe a lot of talent in-state has been missed and that the new coach brought in would do better in locking that talent up.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I really want Donovan, but I'm not expecting it.  I voted other because Glass's coaching hires have been unimpressive, so I fully expect a WTF hire.  I don't want Chris Collins so I'll consider him a WTF hire.

I trust Fred Glass about as much as I trust Charlie Sheen in a room full of drugs.

If this had been the third time in 4 years Collins had made the tournament at Northwestern, after previously having taken them to a Sweet 16 and a few top-4 B1G finishes, then yeah I say go for him as one of the top choices.

But that's not the case.  He limped into the tournament during the worst B1G year ever and still has yet to really beat anyone good.

Great coach for Northwestern, he'll be a legend there forever.  But it's still way too early to take a gamble on him.  He honestly reminds me of Tim Miles and how some fans wanted him on the short list after he took Nebraska to the tournament a few years ago.  Since then?  Nothing.  Hard pass.

Schedules cupcakes and fades down the stretch. Sorry I've been hurt like that before. 

I Doubt there are a lot of teams out there just dying to play the Northwestern Wildcats.. dude is about to take the perennial **** stain of the big ten to the tournament for the first time with a pretty mediocre roster outside of one or two guys. I think he is a solid in game coach. I think he would have loads of a potential at a big name program with his background and family name. I imagine it is hard as hell to get kids to want to come to NU.

I get he's not the first choice or second or third maybe but some of you guys are so quick to push him off to the side. May be biased but I think he will be big time when he gets a better job with less restrictions.

4 minutes ago, BlueDevil2aHoosier said:

I Doubt there are a lot of teams out there just dying to play the Northwestern Wildcats.. dude is about to take the perennial **** stain of the big ten to the tournament for the first time with a pretty mediocre roster outside of one or two guys. I think he is a solid in game coach. I think he would have loads of a potential at a big name program with his background and family name. I imagine it is hard as hell to get kids to want to come to NU.

I get he's not the first choice or second or third maybe but some of you guys are so quick to push him off to the side. May be biased but I think he will be big time when he gets a better job with less restrictions.

Anybody can make the dance once or twice look at Crean and Davis. He's gotta show more. If we are going up and comer it's gotta be miller.