Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

Uspshoosier

(2017) PG Tremont Waters to LSU

@adamzgoria: Indiana and Virginia working hardest for 2017 South Kent PG / Expressions Elite Tremont Waters, per @SouthKentHoops

If there is already a thread for him please delete this one.

New Haven, CT (South Kent School)

5'11/160

AAU: Expressions Elite

Rivals

Scout

ESPN

Videos

Twitter

On 4/16/2016 at 0:09 PM, Uspshoosier said:

@joshuanewman

South Kent guard Tremont Waters hopes to cut to five by the end of the summer. Virginia, Indiana, Yale among the suitors

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

The big boys are moving in now. UK and Duke expected in this week. UVA was in last week. Kansas with interest.

https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/duke-kentucky-among-those-visiting-2017-tremont-waters/173206994

Another kid I missed.  Plays in the EYBL on Expressions Elite, same team as Nick Richards another IU target.

Tremont Waters     2016 EYBL Season              
Date Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.
4/16 10 4 9 2 3 0 0 8 8 5 3 0
4/16 18 6 10 2 4 4 4 3 4 3 2 0
4/17 23 6 9 3 4 8 9 3 3 4 2 0
4/22 18 5 11 1 6 7 7 2 6 5 5 0
4/23 12 5 10 2 5 0 0 7 6 2 2 0
4/23 10 3 12 2 8 2 2 4 1 5 3 0
4/24 7 3 11 1 5 0 0 3 6 4 3 0
5/13 21 4 10 2 4 11 14 3 4 3 2 0
5/14 11 4 13 3 7 0 0 1 3 5 1 0
5/14 20 6 10 4 5 4 4 9 7 1 1 0
5/15 4 2 8 0 2 0 0 2 7 3 3 0
5/28 9 4 10 1 2 0 0 3 5 2 2 0
5/28 6 3 8 0 4 0 0 2 7 1 2 0
5/29 13 4 11 3 7 2 3 3 3 2 3 0
5/29 9 2 5 0 2 5 6 1 2 4 2 0
5/30         Did  Not Play              

Avg 12.7 41%   38%   88%   4 5 3 2 0

2016 EYBL Peach Jam

7/6 – Beat Team Takeover 74 – 71.  16 pts. on 6 of 14 FG’s; 3 of 9 on 3’s; 1 of 2 FT’s; 7 reb; 7 assists; 6 TO’s; 2 stls; 0 blk.

7/7 – Lost to MoKan Elite 72 – 59.  18 pts  (no details posted); 3 reb; 6 assists; 0 TO’s; 2 stls; 0 blk.

2016 EYBL Peach Jam

7/6 – Beat Team Takeover 74 – 71.  16 pts. on 6 of 14 FG’s; 3 of 9 on 3’s; 1 of 2 FT’s; 7 reb; 7 assists; 6 TO’s; 2 stls; 0 blk.

7/7 – Lost to MoKan Elite 72 – 59.  18 pts  (no details posted); 3 reb; 6 assists; 0 TO’s; 2 stls; 0 blk.

7/7 - Beat Howard Pulley 61 – 42.  9 pts. on 3 of 11 FG’s; 1 of 6 on 3’s; 2 of 2 FT’s; 2 reb; 4 assists; 3 TO’s 1 stl; 0 blk.

2016 EYBL Peach Jam

7/7 - Beat Howard Pulley 61 – 42.  9 pts. on 3 of 11 FG’s; 1 of 6 on 3’s; 2 of 2 FT’s; 2 reb; 4 assists; 3 TO’s 1 stl; 0 blk.

7/8 -  Beat King James 64 – 55.  21 pts. on 5 of 9 FG’s; 2 of 4 on 3’s; 9 of 12 FT’s; 10 reb; 3 assists; 2 TO’s; 2 stls; 0 blk.

SIZE NOT A PROBLEM FOR DIMINUTIVE LEAD GUARD TREMONT WATERS by Chip Miller

NORTH AUGUSTA, S.C. - With the emergence of Tyler Ulis, short is no longer a concern when it comes to elite point guards in the NCAA. Ulis tore up the college scene during his sophomore season, earning consensus first-team All-American honors, winning the coveted Bob Cousy Award and being named the SEC Player of the Year above the overall No. 1 NBA Draft pick, Ben Simmons.

For South Kent (CT) 2017 four-star point guard Tremont Waters, being overlooked because of his size became a factor early on in his playing career.

"The beginning of my sophomore year I felt that way," Waters said. "But my parents just stayed in my head, Coach (Kelvin) Jefferson from South Kent (CT), they just pretty much told me to keep working. There are a bunch of small guards out there and all the schools that need to see me will see me."

At 5-foot-11, comparisons to Ulis and even former Indiana poing guard Yogi Ferrell were almost inevitable. At the same time, they were once again proof that talent and hard work can trump size.

"Tyler Ulis is a small guard, Yogi Ferrell is a small guard, so I pretty much immolate my game after them," said Waters. "I try and improve on what they did and get better. If they were able to play there (Indiana and Kentucky), that means I can."

That size, or maybe lack of, hasn't kept the blue bloods of college basketball from offering. Both Duke and Kentucky are firmly in the mix.

"Duke offered me the same day Kentucky offered me," Waters stated. "I think it was the last day they could offer kids, I don't remember the date."

Garnering attention from some of the top schools in the country is an honor, but basketball isn't the first thing on Waters must have checklist.

"I would have to say, head coach wise, not someone who is all about basketball, but someone who also wants me to be a good man, have a life after basketball," Waters emphasized. "That would be the first part. Then go to a school where I could be the lead guard, run the show and pretty much take over."

The modern point guard seems to be trending towards a score-first option, but Waters sees himself more as a facilitator.

"I would have to say facilitator first because going into the game I don't think I'm going to have to score 30, instead I'm thinking I have to do what it is going to take for us to win," Waters stated. "I go in looking to make plays for my teammates first, then when the defense sags off, I can make plays for myself."

At only 6-foot Chris Paul has carved a path to success as a lead guard for the Los Angeles Clippers. His style fits the mold of what Waters looks to become.

"I would have to say Kyrie Irving and Chris Paul," Waters said. "Kyrie gets into the lane, he plays where he wants to. Chris Paul does a lot of one-dribble pull-ups. He's more of a facilitator while Kyrie is a facilitator and scorer."

The recent run of NBA one-and-done between Duke and Kentucky makes a statement to Waters about his game and his potential.

"For me, they've been doing it for so many years, you pretty much know that those are the schools that produce those type of kids," Waters said. "If they see me fitting into a program, that means I could be a one-and-done, two-and-done or maybe three-and-done, so for them to recruit me and have those type of kids come to that school, that pretty much tells me something."

Along with Duke and Kentucky, Indiana, Kansas, Georgetown and Providence are a few of the other schools targeting the rising point guard. Waters said the most recent school to jump back into the mix has been UConn and Coach Kevin Ollie.

"They came back in about two weeks ago," Waters stated. "I don't know why they left, but they left and now they are back in the picture."

Waters recruitment has really taken off over the summer. Always a major D-1 target, offers from Duke and Kentucky put a statement on his current and future potential.

As far as a timeline, Waters has yet to set any visits, official or unofficial and told the throng of reporters garnering his attention that he has no plans on cutting his list or on making a decision.

Asked if committing to Duke or Kentucky ahead of other 2017 point guards like Quade Green or Trae Young created any urgency, Waters said that wasn't a concern.

"Not really," Waters said. "To me it's not about going to a big time school. Obviously those are great schools, top of the line, but if they commit first I'm not going to cry or pout about it. I'm going to pick the best school that fits my game and my situation. I don't need to focus on what they're doing, I need to focus on winning Peach Jam, working out and trying to get better. Obviously if I don't, they won't want me anyway."

2016 EYBL Peach Jam

7/8 -  Beat King James 64 – 55.  21 pts. on 5 of 9 FG’s; 2 of 4 on 3’s; 9 of 12 FT’s; 10 reb; 3 assists; 2 TO’s; 2 stls; 0 blk.

7/8 - Beat LV Prospects 73 – 66.  10 pts on 4 of 10 FG’s 1 of 6 on 3’s; 4 of 5 FT’s; 3 reb; 6 assists; 0 TO’s; 0 stl; 3 blk.                        

EYBL Season-To-Date

Pts. FGM FGA 3PM 3PA FTM FTA Reb Assts. TO's  Stls. Blks.
Avg 13.3 41%   35%   84%   4 5 3 2 0

If you haven't seen this video of Waters talking about his recruitment and his game, I highly recommend it. I'm a big fan after watching this. Definitely one of the better recruits at handling these type of interviews. Also some good intel into where teams stand. Based off what Pap has said and from my understanding of his comments in the video, I feel pretty good about where IU stands.

If you haven't seen this video of Waters talking about his recruitment and his game, I highly recommend it. I'm a big fan after watching this. Definitely one of the better recruits at handling these type of interviews. Also some good intel into where teams stand. Based off what Pap has said and from my understanding of his comments in the video, I feel pretty good about where IU stands.

Good find! I agree he's pretty well spoken and has a different thought process than a lot of top recruits. I would be extremely happy to have him in the candy stripes.