Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that there is a zero chance Crean gets fired. He's won 2 B1G titles and reached the Sweet 16 twice in the past four years, then has a sub-par year when two major players are down with injuries (one all year and one for two-thirds of the conference season). If I were a much-sought-after coach and saw a school do that to its previous coach, I would have zero interest in taking on that job. I believe the only way Crean leaves is if it's HIS decision to do so. Sorry to clutter this thread with this post, but I don't know how to take a quote to another thread.

This was posted on the Georgia Tech-IU game thread, and it was mentioned to not bring that argument there.So I'm gonna bring my quote here.

Can't believe people are still using this argument. It is such lowered expectations. Competing for the B1G every year should be the expectations, and we aren't. Making the tournament every year is such an easy feat and we can't even accomplish that with how completely inept Crean is at constructing and managing a roster.  If coaches are afraid of those levels of expectations at the very least they have no business even being in the discussion. **** it being Crean's decision, him being a guy who refuses to adjust his coaching style and adjusting who he is should take that away from him. Just fire him already, sick of waiting for it to happen. He was never the answer and he will never be the answer

6 minutes ago, incrediboy said:

My opinion, and it's only my opinion, is that there is a zero chance Crean gets fired. He's won 2 B1G titles and reached the Sweet 16 twice in the past four years, then has a sub-par year when two major players are down with injuries (one all year and one for two-thirds of the conference season). If I were a much-sought-after coach and saw a school do that to its previous coach, I would have zero interest in taking on that job. I believe the only way Crean leaves is if it's HIS decision to do so. Sorry to clutter this thread with this post, but I don't know how to take a quote to another thread.

I agree.  I know I will get beaten for saying this, I'm in the camp of no coach change needed.  I think IF WE COULD and I don't think we can, get a Stevens or Donovan then OK...but I think that is a pipe dream.  I'm also maybe wondering if not playing at home could have been a message to the players?  Something like "Playing at IU is a privilege, so you players need to check your ego" type of play?  Who knows.....

Just now, KingPG21 said:

This was posted on the Georgia Tech-IU game thread, and it was mentioned to not bring that argument there.So I'm gonna bring my quote here.

Can't believe people are still using this argument. It is such lowered expectations. Competing for the B1G every year should be the expectations, and we aren't. Making the tournament every year is such an easy feat and we can't even accomplish that with how completely inept Crean is at constructing and managing a roster.  If coaches are afraid of those levels of expectations at the very least they have no business even being in the discussion. **** it being Crean's decision, him being a guy who refuses to adjust his coaching style and adjusting who he is should take that away from him. Just fire him already, sick of waiting for it to happen. He was never the answer and he will never be the answer

Not to mention this opinion is wrong, its twice in the last 5 years.  

I sure hope there's a lot of subterfuge and behind the scenes action going on, so far as seeking a replacement coach, otherwise the way things appear to have been handled these past several days makes me less optimistic about FG being able to land a great coach.  This is a two part process (remove the current coach and replace him with a better option), and it feels like the easy part (a no-brainer) is being handled clumsily if at all.

Just now, JSHoosier said:

Alabama football went through several, 8 by my count, and none of them had the amount of time Crean has had.

And generally you'll get more time in football  than basketball with all the one and dones in basketball. Since they generally want you to have time to get your kids in

1 minute ago, JSHoosier said:

Alabama football went through several, 8 by my count, and none of them had the amount of time Crean has had.

Yep if the they ain't the guy then they ain't the guy.  Get rid of them and try again.  Coaches don't care because they are always confident they can do better. 

6 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

Those two B1G titles are the only good conference finishes too, the others are bottom half.  There is zilch for consistency.

1 minute ago, coonhounds said:

One thing for sure is the nit run has nothing to do with crean returning or not and if so it was crappy to send him south to be crucified if so imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

Except Glass said the coaching staff was on board with giving up the home game.

Those two B1G titles are the only good conference finishes too, the others are bottom half.  There is zilch for consistency.

The one middle of the pack season Zellers first season really should have been another conference title.  We had 3 WTF losses and if we had won 2 of them we would have gotten a share of the title.  

3 minutes ago, KingPG21 said:

And generally you'll get more time in football  than basketball with all the one and dones in basketball. Since they generally want you to have time to get your kids in

Some of the ones they got rid of had coach of the year awards too during their tenure.

It was Alabama saying "these are the expectations here and you're not meeting them, we'll find someone who will".

Some of the ones they got rid of had coach of the year awards too during their tenure.

It was Alabama saying "these are the expectations here and you're not meeting them, we'll find someone who will".

And boy did they