Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Personal opinion, but I don't agree at all when people say he developed Vic. Look at how many talented players he's had come in and they've never gotten really any better. I think Vic's development was 90% Vic working his ass off in and out of practice and setting a goal for himself and not settling for less. Yes, Being at IU let him shine more so than he would have at a lesser school that he probably would have winded up at, but Vic got better every year, not many others Crean players get better at all it just is what it is.

Sure anyone no matter their profession has to work to improve. That is common sense. You have to have direction with work ethic to improve. I am surprised there is a perception this is a thing. Do you guys think a coaches responsibility is only X and O's? If so RMK would have been good but not great. His development of players was phenomenal.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

NBA execs and scouts would disagree with your personal opinion. 

Why would they agree or disagree on how much credit Crean had on making Vic what he turned in to. They just want the end result I don't think they're too worried on exactly how it came about.

49 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It sounds like we have a very valid reason for a spike in our optimism that a coaching change is actually going to happen.  Assuming that indeed does happen, I think everyone on btb should sign a pledge that when the new coach is announced that a "Fire ___________" thread will not be started for at least 24 hours.   :103:

LOL.  You know somebody is going to immediately register Fire(Insert_Name_Here).com within seconds of the new hire announcements. 

Sure anyone no matter their profession has to work to improve. That is common sense. You have to have direction with work ethic to improve. I am surprised there is a perception this is a thing. Do you guys think a coaches responsibility is only X and O's? If so RMK would have been good but not great. His development of players was phenomenal.

Agree to disagree. If Crean had such an impact on developing players, why is JBJ roughly the same, Sheehey digressed, Thomas Bryant is no better than he was coming in, Zeller he had no idea how to utilize him so he didn't really develop, hollowell. He's never really shown me that he can develop anyone much more than what they were.

That's just my opinion I understand many will disagree and there's nothing wrong with that.

Personal opinion, but I don't agree at all when people say he developed Vic. Look at how many talented players he's had come in and they've never gotten really any better. I think Vic's development was 90% Vic working his ass off in and out of practice and setting a goal for himself and not settling for less. Yes, Being at IU let him shine more so than he would have at a lesser school that he probably would have winded up at, but Vic got better every year, not many others Crean players get better at all it just is what it is.

53 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

It sounds like we have a very valid reason for a spike in our optimism that a coaching change is actually going to happen.  Assuming that indeed does happen, I think everyone on btb should sign a pledge that when the new coach is announced that a "Fire ___________" thread will not be started for at least 24 hours.   :103:

This. Right. Here.

Why would they agree or disagree on how much credit Crean had on making Vic what he turned in to. They just want the end result I don't think they're too worried on exactly how it came about.

The coaching/scouting community on all levels is pretty tight knit, to my knowledge. They'll give credit when it is due.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

1 hour ago, Hovadipo said:

I don't think a bad coach could find his way to 2 B1G titles and a few Sweet 16's while sending multiple players to the NBA. The lack of sustained success makes him not IU-worthy, but some schools would kill for that type of success.

Thank you.  He's a good coach that a lot of programs would be lucky to have.

However, after 9 years (really 6) of data, it's clear he can't maintain the consistency that IU should experience.

Just time to move on.

7 minutes ago, AKHoosier said:

Thank you.  He's a good coach that a lot of programs would be lucky to have.

However, after 9 years (really 6) of data, it's clear he can't maintain the consistency that IU should experience.

Just time to move on.

SEVEN GOD DAMMIT.

jk...I'm with you 100%...Just one of the biggest arguments for the last like 5 years on here.

25 minutes ago, nerdvana said:

LOL.  You know somebody is going to immediately register Fire(Insert_Name_Here).com within seconds of the new hire announcements. 

I was curious as to how long it would take for a new "Fire (Insert Head Coach Name)" thread on here.  Perhaps a pool needs to be started? 

56 minutes ago, Hovadipo said:

If you think that Vic and maybe Troy are the only guys that got better here...then sure. I disagree with that, but that's fine. But you can't just throw away the fact that Rob was a big time recruiting win that said he didn't know much about Indiana's history. I don't care how good he is at present, he was a prized recruit. How many guys that we're in deep with talk about Indiana's great history when being recruited vs. talking about having a great relationship with Crean? I don't have numbers, but I'm willing to bet it's more toward the latter. I really don't think our name means much to a lot of kids, which is a discussion for another thread entirely.

We agree that he's average, and he needed his top talent to win what he won here, but a certain group on here like to constantly harp on him being a bumbling idiot, which is one of the more ignorant stances that could be had on the subject. (Not saying you're doing that, but that's my main point. He isn't as bad as some try to make him out to be.)

And even Zeller, who grew up not an hour or two from Bloomington, stated his main reason for choosing IU over UNC/Butler was because of the players and coaches.  I vividly remember watching his interviews after he committed to IU, and the press would specifically ask him about how much IU's history and tradition played into his decision, to which he gave lip service saying "yeah it was a factor," but he would always say his relationship with Crean and the players on the team was his primary reason for choosing IU.

The same reason Tyler Zeller DIDN'T choose IU, because the relationship with the players and coaches under Sampson was way different, yet the prestige and tradition of IU was no less esteemed historically.

Crean Won big BECAUSE of Zeller, Wade, Vic, and Yogi.

2 of those guys are traditional 5 stars the other 2 are Crean specials.

As is Devonte Green, Sheehey and many others.

Crean has a knack to find the occasional diamond in the rough. He will still be able to do that at a lesser power 5.

Problem is if you rely on this type of recruiting you are going to have misses and inconsistencies.

Indiana ideally should have a coach that front loads the roster with Yogis and Zellers more frequently.

And Billy Donovan led a Florida squad whose best players were Casey Prather and Dorian Finney Smith to a 36-3 Final Four season.

So that's good too!

51 minutes ago, Scooter D said:

I was curious as to how long it would take for a new "Fire (Insert Head Coach Name)" thread on here.  Perhaps a pool needs to be started? 

Everyone's signing a pledge for a 24-hour moratorium after the new hire is announced.