Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

1 hour ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Oh god lol if Crean stays Riley probably starts for us as a walk on next year smh. Please make this stop.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

20 minutes ago, barrettballer said:

Even though I know this was a joke, the thought of that made me nearly lose my lunch. No offense to him as a person sure he's a great kid but he can't play ball. No good!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I think he'll stick to baseball

8 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

What if you are told by Donovan if Russ goes next I am coming? You put feelers out to see Russ is doing and find out 80/20 he opts out.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Exactly. And I do believe Westbrook goes to the Lakers soon

Hey everyone!  I'm deifnitely a lurker around here and have appreciated some of the excellent thoughts that this community has put together around the current status of the Indiana Hoops program and the man at the top of the pyramid.  I had a long discussion over email with a friend about this and thought I would throw this post out here to get some ideas from you guys on it.  I'm no swami, I could be wrong, but would LOVE to get feedback from you guys.

I’m fairly certain we’re seeing the last games of Crean on the sidelines at Assembly Hall this year. So, this is the time Indiana’s AD and President need to decide if Indiana is going to be a competitive program, or a championship program.

Firstly, college basketball is like World War II. It is all about the Generals. As we’ve been mobilizing here at home, let’s call Glass our Gen George Marshall, as he builds up our infrastructure so that we can compete with facilities, a strong financial backing (for basketball), B1G’s largest recruiting budget and focused vision that our fanbase/alumni can rally around (the latter will only happen when we find our ultimate general to rally around). Our two decades-long isolationism led to our serious under-preparedness and our former long-time rivals have rearmed and are wrecking havoc throughout the Pacific and Europe. We’ve stuck our heads in the sand, proud of graduation rates, lack of NCAA sanctions and values that align more with the "underdog" values demonstrated in a great movie that came out in the 80’s (the one with Gene Hackman, not Dennis Quade–although that was ’79, either way).

In particular, one of our foes, after falling into the abyss of sanctions from Versailles, the hired an Erwin Rommel-type Field General in the name of John Calipari. We loath how he changed the soul of the game, finding moral superiority over his unethical and soulless one and done cynicism. While we pulled out of the field of head to head battle, Calipari continues to obliterate the competition around him. While some of our fans argue about whether 2 B1G championships in 4 years is impressive, Cal has 1 Championship, an NCAA runner up, 3 FFs and got past the Elite 8 in 5 of his 7 years. He’s landing in North Africa and we have to find someone who can lead our Hoosiers and beat him….in a campaign! Not just one game. You can’t watch a segment of NBA highlights on Sportscenter without seeing one of his players who’s gone through his program at Kentucky. While some Hoosier fans will pound their chest over Oladipo, Zeller and Vonleh….and undrafted Yogi and Troy Williams (yay!!! He won the D-league dunk contest!!! Retweet!!!).

In the Pacific (sorry, the direct analogy is going to break down a bit, so bare with me), we have a long-time Military leader, who is a brilliant strategist and a tough commander who learned under one of the long-time great Generals (the man we call "The General"). But, as new technology and culture has changed, he’s adjusted his game to embrace these changes.  He also sees the need to embrace being an attraction for talent. Due to his incredible basketball IQ and long-time credibility, he doesn’t quite need the level of talent Cal does to get the job done. But with this adjustment, he’s managed to take over rivals throughout Asia and the Pacific. The sun doesn’t set. Since 2008, he’s hung 2 banners, and reached the Swt 16 6 times.

What Indiana needs to compete for banners, isn’t a “solid, good/to very good coach”. We need a MacArthur. We need a guy who, when we destroy your face, stands a foot tall over your leader who just surrendered to you. We need someone elite who has earned that 5th star on their shoulders. We need someone who can square up and strike fear into the hearts of the generals who have put our current program under their boot.

Solid, good/to very good coaches are guys like the following:

Bennett
Bo Ryan-Gard
Alford
Marshall
Smart
Younger Miller
Few
Drew

MacArthurs:

Stevens
Donovan

The likelihood of Stevens coming home to Indiana as his Celtics are building a powerhouse in the East, is extremely unlikely. Too bad we couldn’t realize that while he was beating the pants off of Crean’s best team in 2012. So, off to Boston he went to the NBA version of the Hoosiers with their history. A meteor hitting Boston while he’s out of town might be the only scenario where Stevens is in Bloomington next year.

It all comes down to Donovan. He’s likely to lose Westbrook soon (perhaps the Lakers?). There’s not much left after that. If the man could live in Gainesville and Oklahoma City for 2 decades, Bloomington would seem like Shangri-La. But we’re going to have to pay up. And we can. This is why we have box seats at Assembly Hall now. If only we could find a way to charge people for tailgating during football season, we might have some extra cash to throw around.

If we end up looking for the next up-and-comer, we risk hiring the next Matt Doherty, Bill Guthridge or Billie Gillespie….or Tom Crean. It’ll could be years before we can assess where their ceiling is in terms of competing for national championships. And Indiana becomes more and more irrelevant on the national stage again if 3-4 years later, we find they're not quite the guy can bring the banners home. As fans, we’ll be arguing about recruiting failures, inbounds plays, substitution patterns and awkward net cutting ceremonies, vs how hanging banner #6 will screw with the symmetry of the north-end of AH.

We need someone who’s established themselves to be a MacArthur already. The only one who would even be slightly available (MacArthurs are always in high demand), in my view is, Donovan.

It’ll take a herculean effort to get him to Bloomington, but it can be done. Is Glass the right guy to do it? If he manages to pull it off, there will be a statue of him somewhere on our campus. If not, Glass may end up going back into practicing law. Better Call Fred!

33 minutes ago, Double Down said:

Hey everyone!  I'm deifnitely a lurker around here and have appreciated some of the excellent thoughts that this community has put together around the current status of the Indiana Hoops program and the man at the top of the pyramid.  I had a long discussion over email with a friend about this and thought I would throw this post out here to get some ideas from you guys on it.  I'm no swami, I could be wrong, but would LOVE to get feedback from you guys.

I’m fairly certain we’re seeing the last games of Crean on the sidelines at Assembly Hall this year. So, this is the time Indiana’s AD and President need to decide if Indiana is going to be a competitive program, or a championship program.

If we end up looking for the next up-and-comer, we risk hiring the next Matt Doherty, Bill Guthridge or Billie Gillespie….or Tom Crean. It’ll could be years before we can assess where their ceiling is in terms of competing for national championships. And Indiana becomes more and more irrelevant on the national stage again if 3-4 years later, we find they're not quite the guy can bring the banners home. As fans, we’ll be arguing about recruiting failures, inbounds plays, substitution patterns and awkward net cutting ceremonies, vs how hanging banner #6 will screw with the symmetry of the north-end of AH.

We need someone who’s established themselves to be a MacArthur already. The only one who would even be slightly available (MacArthurs are always in high demand), in my view is, Donovan.

It’ll take a herculean effort to get him to Bloomington, but it can be done. Is Glass the right guy to do it? If he manages to pull it off, there will be a statue of him somewhere on our campus. If not, Glass may end up going back into practicing law. Better Call Fred!

Not sure about all the WWII analogies but I agree with your point about the coaches. I am of the opinion IU should hire the absolute best coach that will take the job.

Obviously, the next great coach is out there somewhere, laboring in relative obscurity. Let someone else find him. I want the proven winner.

That is simply not true. Show me an instance of this happening. Does Glass have a list of replacements? Of course. Could he be doing research on those replacements? Absolutely. But he is not calling Billy D’s agent before Crean has been fired.

For the record- glass would never make that call. He'd have his agent or someone talk to another agent about a possibility. This would be 2-3 degrees away from Indiana.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

17 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Nah most the replies have been alright. It's the OP's posts that have been mind numbingly dumb

Yeah that's what I meant.

Anyone on this board hoping for Billy Donovan doesn't need to be reminded that it's a bit of a long shot, or that we aren't Fred Glass or Michael McRobbie.  That's not exactly going out on a limb haha.