Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

10 minutes ago, nerdvana said:

I don't follow CBB that closely outside of the Big Ten these days, so I not all that familiar with the current state of LSU, but I can see some parallels between them and Marquette when TC took over there.  Probably many on this board are a bit too young to remember the Dale Brown days, but they were very good during his tenure.  Bob Knight absolutely hated Dale Brown, and vice versa, so it made them that much more interesting.  Brown stuck around a bit too long (IMO) and was super shady, so he didn't leave the program in great condition and the program has struggled ever since, minus a good year here and there.  

Say what you will about TC, but he really did a good job resurrecting Marquette.  Even the fans that couldn't stand him after he left admitted as much.  Of course, I'm not sure if they'd be willing to pay anything close to what he's making here.  But, given the chance, I think TC could have a pretty good career down there.                         

I echo your comments 100%.  I've tried to avoid "Crean bashing" because I believe he definitely resurrected our program and got it back on track, but it's become obvious he's right where he was at the end of his time at MU.  It's really interesting how the comments in that 'famous' article about Crean when he left for IU are a perfect description of the present.  I prefer to look at as "water seeks it's own level" and that's where we are with Tom Crean.

I echo your comments 100%.  I've tried to avoid "Crean bashing" because I believe he definitely resurrected our program and got it back on track, but it's become obvious he's right where he was at the end of his time at MU.  It's really interesting how the comments in that 'famous' article about Crean when he left for IU are a perfect description of the present.  I prefer to look at as "water seeks it's own level" and that's where we are with Tom Crean.

Exactly. I give him a ton of credit for getting us out of the mess Sampson left, but we know what we have now. I wish him well, except if we see him in the tournament!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

14 minutes ago, bigrod said:

Exactly. I give him a ton of credit for getting us out of the mess Sampson left, but we know what we have now. I wish him well, except if we see him in the tournament!

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

He's the very personification of the Peter Principle. He did a good job resurrecting the IU program (for $3M+ per year). Now he's in over his head.

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble and be the reality police but all of these rumors are total garbage. The only people who actually know anything are Glass and McRobbie. None of these “insiders” be it “Mile” or “Janitor” actually know anything. IU is not going to fire Crean mid-season and you CANNOT start reaching out to prospective candidates while you still have a coach. Show me an instance of this happening. What does it say to prospective coaches if your athletic department is reaching out during the middle of the season? Maybe NC State is reaching out to coaches because they have actually fired their coach, but no schools who have not fired their coach are doing it.

I understand Janitor works with the program and may think he has inside information, but unless Crean has notified the team he is not returning – any information he has on this front is just speculation.

To summarize, Crean may very well get fired at the end of the year (and I hope he does!). Billy D may be our next head coach (I hope he is but HIGHLY DOUBT IT.). However, anything you are hearing now that is not directly from Glass or McRobbie has absolutely no credibility.

7 minutes ago, Beachfront Property said:

Sorry to burst everyone’s bubble and be the reality police but all of these rumors are total garbage. The only people who actually know anything are Glass and McRobbie. None of these “insiders” be it “Mile” or “Janitor” actually know anything. IU is not going to fire Crean mid-season and you CANNOT start reaching out to prospective candidates while you still have a coach. Show me an instance of this happening. What does it say to prospective coaches if your athletic department is reaching out during the middle of the season? Maybe NC State is reaching out to coaches because they have actually fired their coach, but no schools who have not fired their coach are doing it.

I understand Janitor works with the program and may think he has inside information, but unless Crean has notified the team he is not returning – any information he has on this front is just speculation.

To summarize, Crean may very well get fired at the end of the year (and I hope he does!). Billy D may be our next head coach (I hope he is but HIGHLY DOUBT IT.). However, anything you are hearing now that is not directly from Glass or McRobbie has absolutely no credibility.

Reaching out happens all the time when coaches are still employed. Why would they not do their due diligence searching and fire someone without knowing anything about other candidates? Seems like a terrible business decision to me

Just now, VO5 said:

Reaching out happens all the time when coaches are still employed. Why would they not do their due diligence searching and fire someone without knowing anything about other candidates? Seems like a terrible business decision to me

That is simply not true. Show me an instance of this happening. Does Glass have a list of replacements? Of course. Could he be doing research on those replacements? Absolutely. But he is not calling Billy D’s agent before Crean has been fired.

1 hour ago, ap2345 said:

I just saw that Mile on 247 said yesterday that he thought personally that crean was staying. Then last night he said they had contacted Donovan and their was interest but he still wasn't certain that crean was gone. Now this morning he said that his source told him that Crean will be gone at the end of the season. He also said that his new information was just Crean based so their isn't anything new on Donovan. One can hope that is information this close together isn't a coincidence. 

Interesting that mile said that it wasn't Crean's decision to step aside.  Sounds like the chance was given for him to step aside, now he will be forced to do so.  The other mod on 247 is hearing the same thing this morning.

Just like recruiting, coaching rumors are just that until the contract is signed.  However, many times there is some substance to such rumors.  I doubt anybody considers it to be a "done deal", but rather a sign that things may be moving and possibly in a vary favorable way.