Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I agree with this in general but many people overstate what he did as if he took over a charity case. He took over a head coaching job at a blue blood program making $3mm +. He also could have made the rebuild less of a rebuild. He inherited some really soft sanctions and a team with bad grades. He chose to completely overhaul he team and start with a team of walk-one. There were salvageable pieces on that team and he either forced them out or they left because they didn't want to play for him. There was no reason we had to be so bad for 3 years, that was on him.

I too want this to end and end amicably and I wish him and his family well but we as fans and the school don't owe him anything beyond an additional $4mm and even that is insane. We should treat him and his family with dignity on the way out but the shitstorm he was in and stayed in was partially his own doing and other coaches in similar positions were able to recover quicker.

Not a rant towards you, just have heard over and over for years how grateful we should be for the rebuild work... I just don't see it that way

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The sanctions weren't that big and he got paid very well. Yes he got the program back for a few years but we've seen his best. Time to move on or except this is as good as it gets under him.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

Don't think anything was unethical on Crean's part. Hanner just never developed into his potential. I'd put that more on hanner than on Crean honestly

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

True, but I'd put some of it on Crean for giving a slap on the wrist for the 1st incident. Once Hanner got away with his 1st transgression, why wouldn't a 19/20 year old feel they're 'untouchable'?

7 hours ago, MikeRoberts said:

I agree with this in general but many people overstate what he did as if he took over a charity case. He took over a head coaching job at a blue blood program making $3mm +. He also could have made the rebuild less of a rebuild. He inherited some really soft sanctions and a team with bad grades. He chose to completely overhaul he team and start with a team of walk-one. There were salvageable pieces on that team and he either forced them out or they left because they didn't want to play for him. There was no reason we had to be so bad for 3 years, that was on him.

I too want this to end and end amicably and I wish him and his family well but we as fans and the school don't owe him anything beyond an additional $4mm and even that is insane. We should treat him and his family with dignity on the way out but the shitstorm he was in and stayed in was partially his own doing and other coaches in similar positions were able to recover quicker.

Not a rant towards you, just have heard over and over for years how grateful we should be for the rebuild work... I just don't see it that way

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

Been saying this for years. Looking back that terrible year 3 was my first warning sign though I tried to ignore it. I will wish him well as long as he moves along peacefully.

8 hours ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

Tom Crean's senior night? People are gonna dissect every word of his speech this year even more so than in the past

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Isn't Hartman the only SR? Creans gonna have a lot of time to speak and normally he has a lot of coach speak. This is much different from his last post game pressors which avg 2 minutes a piece.

From the SEC Country website:

Why Indiana’s problem — Tom Crean — could be LSU’s hoops solution

@BIGAHICKEYThanks to a mix of injuries and uninspired play, Crean’s boat also is sinking.

The Hoosiers rose all the way to No. 3 in the country after beating Kansas and North Carolina early in the season, but the NIT looks like 15-13 Indiana’s most likely postseason destination. IU blew a 15-point lead in a 96-90 overtime loss at Iowa. Tuesday’s meltdown was an effective allegory for Indiana’s season, and it seems the fan base has reached its boiling point with Crean. Barring a resurgence in the Big Ten Tournament, the end seems to be looming for Crean’s 9-year tenure.

But as the saying goes, one man’s trash is another man’s treasure. And for a program swimming as deeply in the seas of irrelevance and apathy as LSU is, a coach with Crean’s credentials is as good as can be asked for right now.

What’s in it for LSU?

Been there, done that: The Tigers are poised to have the worst season in program history and finish 1-17 in SEC play. But Crean has brought a program back from far worse.

His first season at Indiana, 2009, was the worst in school history. The program was reeling after previous coach Kelvin Sampson scorched everything to the ground and brought on NCAA sanctions. Crean played a rag-tag cast of freshmen and walk-ons — including a player who left the team the next season to pursue dental school — and finished 1-17 in the Big Ten.

By Year 4, Crean had the Hoosiers back in the Sweet 16.

LSU could be turned around more quickly. The Tigers are the 13th-youngest team in college basketball this season, per KenPom.com. Skylar Mays, Brandon Sampson and Wayde Sims could be good enough pieces to build around with improved coaching and recruiting.

Keeping up with the SEC: It will take time to coalesce, but other SEC programs are making a commitment to basketball. Recent hires have either been promising up-and-comers like Florida’s Mike White and Vanderbilt’s Bryce Drew, or veterans who succeeded elsewhere — Ben Howland (3 Final Fours at UCLA) and Avery Johnson (former NBA Coach of the Year).

Providing a parachute to Crean might be more realistic than convincing a promising mid-major coach waiting for a better option to present itself.

What’s in it for Tom Crean?

No pressure: Expectations are high at Indiana, which won 5 national championships. Crean’s teams have not made so much as 1 Final Four appearance, which gets the natives restless.

After living in that pressure cooker, Crean would find LSU a welcome landing spot. Whether at Indiana or his previous stop at Marquette, basketball was the top sport. At LSU, he can fit comfortably behind football and baseball on the pecking order. There’s no indication that this is something Crean wants, but it might have appeal.

The biggest knock against Crean at Indiana is that he can’t get the program to compete at a national championship level. But if LSU were a perennial Top 25  team with regular trips to the second week of the NCAA Tournament, Tigers fans would be pretty pleased.

Rivalry renewed: Surely Crean would relish the chance to take an annual crack at John Calipari.

Kentucky and Indiana used to meet each year. But after the Hoosiers beat the Wildcats in Bloomington in December 2011, Cal insisted that future meetings take place on neutral courts rather than home-and-home.

Crean never saw eye to eye with that demand, so the series is on hiatus.

There’s no avoiding home court if you’re in the same conference. And having a coach who isn’t afraid to poke Kentucky in the eye would serve SEC basketball well. When coaching personalities clash and fans can sense it, a basketball arena can have a football level of excitement.

The catch

Whether he jumps out the door or is pushed, Crean will be a desired commodity.

SEC doormat Missouri might have an advantage if Crean wants to stay in the Midwest while crossing swords with Calipari. And with the coaching carousel not even started yet outside of North Carolina State, there’s no telling what  programs might have openings available. There’s a chance a job will have more appeal to Crean than LSU, given his lack of ties to the state and region.

But if Alleva wants to make a splash with his next hire, there seems little question that Crean is poised to be the biggest fish out there.

24 minutes ago, LIHoosier said:

True, but I'd put some of it on Crean for giving a slap on the wrist for the 1st incident. Once Hanner got away with his 1st transgression, why wouldn't a 19/20 year old feel they're 'untouchable'?

Hanner's stat line last night for ETSU...38mins/5pts/1ast/4reb/2stl/0blk/1to/2pf....SOLID!!!!

20 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

Great article. The media is finally coming around somewhat. That's what we need to get this mess over with. The more media pressure, the better.

I just saw that Mile on 247 said yesterday that he thought personally that crean was staying. Then last night he said they had contacted Donovan and their was interest but he still wasn't certain that crean was gone. Now this morning he said that his source told him that Crean will be gone at the end of the season. He also said that his new information was just Crean based so their isn't anything new on Donovan. One can hope that is information this close together isn't a coincidence. 

I don't follow CBB that closely outside of the Big Ten these days, so I not all that familiar with the current state of LSU, but I can see some parallels between them and Marquette when TC took over there.  Probably many on this board are a bit too young to remember the Dale Brown days, but they were very good during his tenure.  Bob Knight absolutely hated Dale Brown, and vice versa, so it made them that much more interesting.  Brown stuck around a bit too long (IMO) and was super shady, so he didn't leave the program in great condition and the program has struggled ever since, minus a good year here and there.  

Say what you will about TC, but he really did a good job resurrecting Marquette.  Even the fans that couldn't stand him after he left admitted as much.  Of course, I'm not sure if they'd be willing to pay anything close to what he's making here.  But, given the chance, I think TC could have a pretty good career down there.