Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

10 minutes ago, mdn82 said:

I would honestly rather have Gregg Marshall and he is at about 7 or 8 on my list.

He's really good too, and could also be the best choice.

Hopefully we go higher than that. He was not on his way to a championship. His best year was 28-8 with a Sweet 16. He didn't recruit at a level to get there.

At IOWA FREAKIN' STATE! In a bad college town, with bad facilities, in a loaded conference.

Obviously Kansas has controlled that conference for years. He had a 49-39 record in conference after taking over for McDermott.

After inheriting a mess of a team that had three straight 4-12 conference seasons, FH went 3-13 in conference his first year. After that he was 46-26 in conference. In other words, he fronted a one year rebuild! After that first year he was never worse that 11-7 in conference, and won the conference tourney twice in four years.

Tournament wise they made it to the Sweet 16 once. Honestly if he didn't play in the NBA for the Bulls he wouldn't be coaching there now.

He wasn't exactly a Larry Bird/Isiah Thomas - "Hall of Famer gets a shot to coach" type player. The Bulls got to know him as a player and loved his leadership qualities.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

8 hours ago, IU Hoosier41 said:

ImageUploadedByBtownBanners1487743959.804181.jpg

This makes it tough to attract top coaches. 3 sweet 16s. 2 conference championships. I get it we want him gone, but...

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

Look at the talent on those Sweet 16 teams... a top coach would have taken those teams much deeper in the tournament. Better coaches produce better results.

That is honestly fair. For me however my lasting memory of them is the chance to win the conference tournament, get stunned, and bounced early in the NCAA tournament as a high seed. I just am not overly impressed with how his teams played. His health is of course a concern. Could he handle the 365 day pressure of IU? Yes the Bulls are in the NBA. However that city has the Cubs, Bears, Blackhawks, and another minor league team. I don't think he is a fit for a myriad of reasons.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

52 minutes ago, Yogi'sBicep said:

I will post Hoiberg until someone acknowledges it. 

Nah. If I'm not mistaken, the guy made his living off of transfers in college. Has sucked in the NBA. I don't think he would have much more success than Crean tbh.

Greg Gard and I am not saying we should actually hire Greg Gard, but I would take a Greg Gard clone in a heart beat. Wisconsin plays great basketball. He's won 30+ games in a row when leading with 5 minutes to go. We would not need 1 and dones to compete for national championships. Wisconsin competes for the conference championship every year and came very close to winning a national championship (much closer than we've gotten since 2001). As embarrassing as it is - Wisconsin is the basketball program we should model ours after. When was the last time Wisconsin turned the ball over 25 times in a game?

9 hours ago, Magnanimous said:

Just spoke with someone very high up the chain of command. Not to leave everyone waiting in the dark here, but it sounds like the process of removing Crean is beginning to get rolling. I should have more information this weekend.

Sorry Magnanimous, I hope you're correct but I have a hard time believing anyone outside of Glass and McRobbie know anything about this decision at this point. I am sure there are rumors within the athletic department, but I would doubt even the Board of Trustees would know anything for certain at this point in the season.

3 minutes ago, Treesh said:

Ugh. 

So we have dropped the last 7/8. We are at the bottom of the B1G. We have no hope at making the dance. We have four starters remaining from the UNC/Kansas wins. We continue to turn the ball over. We continue to run the same crap offense since 2010. We continue to let our preseason all american thomas bryant play outside the perimeter. we continue to lack any leadership from the coaching staff and players. We continue to lack any in game adjustments. We continue to lack defensive IQ. We have no program changing players incoming in next years class.

I mean.. what is there to look forward to? Our program is at a very bad spot right now, why? because we have no light at the end of the tunnel under Crean. We can expect the same crap game after game. 

I've lost all hope in Indiana Basketball. My love for IU Basketball is no longer as strong as it was years ago. I could care less if I missed a game, nowadays I only watch the games to see us lose and improve the tank. These are just sad times to be a hoosier fan. My Los Angeles Lakers made huge changes yesterday in the busiest week of the NBA season. Jeanie Buss has the guts to make changes because our product is failing, how come Fred Glass can't make this easy decision? 

Honestly, IU Football > IU Basketball. As long as Crean is here, we're a football school. 

^^^^^^ This, 100% 

He never won his conference and never made an elite 8. And his teams sucked defensively  not as bad as Crean but didn't play good enough D to win it all 

PASS

He did coach in a conference where KU is in. That team that has won the conference like 1000 times in a row. The margin of talent from ISU to IU is very different. Just cause his defense numbers werent awesome doesnt mean he cant coach defense. He can get better players here which in result would have his numbers go up. He also made ISU a name again. ISU was going no where before he got there and barely even took him a year to get it going. Every coach has their flaws literally everyone, so we can throw out this and that on all of them even Billy D and Stevens.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Nah. If I'm not mistaken, the guy made his living off of transfers in college. Has sucked in the NBA. I don't think he would have much more success than Crean tbh.

He recruited Georges Niang and Monte Morris. That should be enough. He has recruited some other solid kids too. He used transfers because ISU isnt the type of program that elite recruits want to go to. He found a way to make his program good. He always had a few recruits and added a transfer or two when needed. His teams never lacked leadership for that reason too. I dont even know if I want the guy but these knocks on him are terrible. I could go through all the guys on our wish list and make people not want them by constantly pointing out the negatives. He was at IOWA STATE and made it at the time a nationally known program that made the Chicago Bulls want him lol. Imagine what he could do with our resources.

2 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

He recruited Georges Niang and Monte Morris. That should be enough. He has recruited some other solid kids too. He used transfers because ISU isnt the type of program that elite recruits want to go to. He found a way to make his program good. He always had a few recruits and added a transfer or two when needed. His teams never lacked leadership for that reason too. I dont even know if I want the guy but these knocks on him are terrible. I could go through all the guys on our wish list and make people not want them by constantly pointing out the negatives. He was at IOWA STATE and made it at the time a nationally known program that made the Chicago Bulls want him lol. Imagine what he could do with our resources.

The Bulls wanted him b/c he and Gar Forman were close friends in college and have been ever since.  He and Forman are joined at the hip -- Forman's job supposedly is safe, which to me, suggests that Freddie ain't leaving the Bulls (although, as a Bulls fan, I think he should have been fired after last year).

1 minute ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

He made it?  He went to 1 sweet sixteen in 5 years. Never won a conference championship he won 1 conference tourney. So like Crean he has won 3 straight postseason games only once. 

The fact he sold the bulls a bridge in Brooklyn does not make him a good coach. 

1 minute ago, Brass Cannon said:

He made it?  He went to 1 sweet sixteen in 5 years. Never won a conference championship he won 1 conference tourney. So like Crean he has won 3 straight postseason games only once. 

The fact he sold the bulls a bridge in Brooklyn does not make him a good coach. 

Agreed. And his best conference record in that time was 12-6. In the Big 12, which is historically worse than the BIG and ACC. Still a hard pass from me. I could care less if he's coached in the NBA

If Hoiberg were hired I'd sure give him a chance, but would not be excited. At all.

I can imagine him having some success but really struggle to see him winning at a high level consistently. Certainly not a NC.

If IU wants to return to elite/blueblood status then hire like it. Sorry, Fred Hoiberg ain't 'the one.'

I know it was mentioned what the Lakers have recently done with their front office. IMO the odds that Westbrook becomes a Laker next season just went up with Magic taking control of things. Billy D may have become just a tiny bit more realistic, im willing to hold out hope on him until it's proven dead.