Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

Why are you beginning to wonder? What single speck of a thing has Fred Glass done in the past few months, since this season began to go downhill, to make you think that Glass is becoming less likely to dismiss Tom Crean?
Yeesh.

What I heard today would make one question it. Crean and Glass are petty close and Crean was also on the committee of advisors that brought in some of the administration that would also need to be involved in the firing. He is very closely tied to these people and that makes some, even some close to the situation take pause as to whether they will actually follow through and fire him

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

What I heard today would make one question it. Crean and Glass are petty close and Crean was also on the committee of advisors that brought in some of the administration that would also need to be involved in the firing. He is very closely tied to these people and that makes some, even some close to the situation take pause as to whether they will actually follow through and fire him

Is this new info? Tell us more about this committee.

Makes more sense.... He can go elsewhere next year and play if he so desires (and should, IMO)...

In Hartmans case it just depends on what he wants to do. If he wants to play basketball more at this level or possibly over seas then yes he should play again but if he wants to move on with his life and begin a career in what he will be doing in life then he should move on. I don't know all his options but trust it isn't easy but he will know what is best for him imo

Sent from my SM-G920V using BtownBanners mobile app

8 minutes ago, Class of '66 Old Fart said:

Come on Fred, Jeanie Buss pulled the trigger and so can you!

He will my friend. There's just no justifiable way to bring him back. And Glass also knows his job is on the line if he brings back Crean

Well this doesn't sound promising

Is this new info? Tell us more about this committee.

Well, it's probably nothing new. I wish I understood it better myself and because the info comes from an IU insider to a family member and then to me it's a little bit of telephone.

But, as far as I understand it, whether it's a formal committee or not I don't know but there are trusted people associated with the school that are asked to weigh in on hires and even sit down with them to meet them/vet them and then they give their opinion on said hire. This source was asked to play that role in previous basketball hirings and has said Crean had played that role in some administrations hirings. I don't know if that means Glass or others but apparently Crean vouched for some of these people that now have his job in their hands so it is a bit of a tangled web.

Doesn't mean they won't pull the trigger but it might make them more hesitant for loyalty sake.

Just my second hand info/take. Nothing too enlightening here.

18 hours ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

A coach w 2 National titles and 2 NIT titles at Florida lol and a game a way from a shot at an NBA title isn't the answer? He isn't just one of the best coaches in college but proved he is as well in the NBA where 30 or 40 ex head coaches are assistants that cant even get an NBA job. That shows you one...any NBA coach is talented and two he is one of the best minds in the game.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

Billy Donovan is an obvious answer.  Doesn't make him "the" answer.   I think he's an obvious, but pretty short-sighted answer.  What makes anyone think he'd leave the Thunder to come to Indiana?  He's no more likely to leave than Brad Stevens is.  He's got 3 years left on a $30 million contract.  What makes anyone think he'd drop that to come to Indiana?  He's a name.  We all know who he is.   Does not make him the right guy to go after.  

He's just the next guy after Stevens since we know Stevens isn't coming.    Anyone who says "then there is no answer" sells the coaching community way short.  You guys think we need a big name?  Like Crean?  Or Sampson?    Those were big names, too.   Billy Donovan is not coming to Indiana.  Oh, and I could not care LESS how many NIT's a guy's won.   Laugh all you want.  You're not doing anything but name dropping.   What happens when Donovan's name goes the way of Stevens'?   Will the next guy be "the right guy" in your eyes because we've all heard of him and he has credentials you can name?  

Billy Donovan has credentials.  That is completely irrelevant to whether or not he is the right answer at Indiana.  So go on and "lol."   He's not coming, so he's not the answer.

Saw on twitter Collin Hartman was playing Saturday against Northwestern for senior day. Don't know if this means anything in regards to Crean potentially leaving for a "soft landing" job like NC State or Mizzou but it's interesting to note.

It would also place his application for an additional medical RS season in jeopardy(if he was even considering such an application to the NCAA). That could indicate many things, including just having a senior to be able to even have a Senior Night.

Happy for Colin. It cannot, however, change the fact that Tom Crean must go. This year.

Billy Donovan is an obvious answer.  Doesn't make him "the" answer.   I think he's an obvious, but pretty short-sighted answer.  What makes anyone think he'd leave the Thunder to come to Indiana?  He's no more likely to leave than Brad Stevens is.  He's got 3 years left on a $30 million contract.  What makes anyone think he'd drop that to come to Indiana?  He's a name.  We all know who he is.   Does not make him the right guy to go after.  

He's just the next guy after Stevens since we know Stevens isn't coming.    Anyone who says "then there is no answer" sells the coaching community way short.  You guys think we need a big name?  Like Crean?  Or Sampson?    Those were big names, too.   Billy Donovan is not coming to Indiana.  Oh, and I could not care LESS how many NIT's a guy's won.   Laugh all you want.  You're not doing anything but name dropping.   What happens when Donovan's name goes the way of Stevens'?   Will the next guy be "the right guy" in your eyes because we've all heard of him and he has credentials you can name?  

Billy Donovan has credentials.  That is completely irrelevant to whether or not he is the right answer at Indiana.  So go on and "lol."   He's not coming, so he's not the answer.

I believe he's more likely (WAY more likely) than Stevens because his team is wayyyyyy closer to being awful than the Celtics are. The Celtics are stacked and will be for a LONG time and the Thunder are Russell Westbrook away from being deep in the lottery. So for that reason I don't think it's that crazy. He thought he was signing up for KD and Westbrook, when in reality he'll end up with his best player being Vic or Steven Adams in a year or so.

To your other points, I'm not really sure what they are to be honest. It's like you're mad that people want to shoot for the stars with our next hire. You're good at telling other people they're stupid for wanting a great (and he is great) coach, so who is "the" answer in your eyes? Genuinely curious.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

48 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

You can't say with certainty that Billy Donovan is not coming to IU. The Thunder are about to fall of a cliff and hit rock bottom. That is definitely not what he envisioned when jumping to the NBA. And yes he's WAY more likely to come to IU than Stevens. You can't tell me that their situations are the same. Celtics are a piece away from dethroning LeBron and his cronies. Thunder are holding on for dear life just to stay relevant in the league. And since Russell Westbrook is probably gonna go to the Lakers, that makes it all the more likely that Donovan leaves

I will LOL because you just completely ruined your point. You said he isnt coming here because he has a good thing going. Then said he isnt the answer. You have to choose one. If you said he would come but not the answer it would still be laughable but at least you would have a point. If coaching has nothing to do with credentials then why is every job search about the potential at said job or what he has done to make you think he could be good at said job. Billy D fits both. If you are looking for a guy that perfectly fits IU please name someone that was born to coach here. The list will be blank or maybe one name.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I'm quite a bit toward Old Friend's mindset here.
My take? Billy Donovan might be one of the right answers, but he is most certainly not "the" answer, is not the only right answer, and IMO, probably is not the best answer.
Who is the best choice? Above my pay grade.