Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

12 minutes ago, sierracoach said:

If the rumors are true about how much the Creans, especially Joani, want out of Bloomington, CTC may not have waited for Glass's prompting but may have already told his agent to "start looking." Unfortunately for all parties involved, Crean's agent may be finding out that the opinion of his coaching abilities is not as high among other athletic directors as it is among media wannabes who sometimes are granted access to the IU program and reciprocate by calling CTC a "great strategist" in print.

My guess is that there are plenty of places that want Crean, but, the question to me is would he go there?  I think Tom Crean is basically a good guy, but I also thing he has a pretty big ego.  He'd likely go to Missouri or NC State (or some other power conference job that may open up), but I'm not sure that he'd take a mid-major job at this point.  And why would he?  The way I understand it, he'll get paid either way so why settle? 

19 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

He is doing what NC State is doing he is just making sure no leaks are getting out. He doesnt want that reputation that IU handles these things like middle schoolers.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I just don't believe Glass has done this. Hope he proves me wrong.

1 hour ago, Str8Hoosiers said:

Why is Brad Stevens the only guy that fits that mentality?

Swing for the fences could mean Stevens or Fife or anybody for that matter.... Swing for the fences mentality means we go after THE guy that we believe is going to take the program back to elite status.... Don't let NO be an option, don't let money be a deterrent.... That is what Swing for the Fences means to me... it doesn't mean 1 person in particular.

The coach you described as wanting (without a name - just the attributes).... Would you not consider that a homerun if we hire somebody with all the qualifications you mentioned? That is swinging for the fence.

Because he's the only guy I can think of who would fit the criteria I mentioned above and also unite the fans.  Other "name" guys won't do that.    A home run hire won't be known for a few years unless it's Stevens.  He is the only known "home run" I know of.  Like I said, not my job to know who others are, but it's not someone like Marshall, etc.   Crean was a "name" because he went to a Final Four with Marquette.  We've seen what getting a "name" can look like.  Sampson was similar.  The only swing for the fences guy I know of who would fit in my opinion is Stevens.

4 minutes ago, nerdvana said:

My guess is that there are plenty of places that want Crean, but, the question to me is would he go there?  I think Tom Crean is basically a good guy, but I also thing he has a pretty big ego.  He'd likely go to Missouri or NC State (or some other power conference job that may open up), but I'm not sure that he'd take a mid-major job at this point.  And why would he?  The way I understand it, he'll get paid either way so why settle? 

IIRC, the AD at NCSU is a former outstanding BB coach herself and may have her own questions about CTC's coaching limitations. And, of course, they'll prefer Archie anyway. If Goodman and others are right about there being very little chance Miller goes to NCSU, that could imply that Archie feels there's a better job than NC State that's about to open up. Which could be IU, hypothetically. Or could be Ohio State, given how unhealthy Matta appears to be these days.

Mizzou might make sense, given the recruiting connections Crean's already established there and that, at the end of the day, it's still a football school with less pressure to achieve big things with its BB program.

I tend to agree with those people who say Washington's not gonna release Romar yet, given the talent he has coming in. But a year from now, who knows?

2 minutes ago, Treesh said:

If Michigan collapses, could they part with Jim? Could make for Crean heading to Michigan with his brother in law..

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

The odds of Crean being the Michigan coach is as good as Knight becoming the IUBB coach again.

17 minutes ago, Old Friend said:

Because he's the only guy I can think of who would fit the criteria I mentioned above and also unite the fans.  Other "name" guys won't do that.    A home run hire won't be known for a few years unless it's Stevens.  He is the only known "home run" I know of.  Like I said, not my job to know who others are, but it's not someone like Marshall, etc.   Crean was a "name" because he went to a Final Four with Marquette.  We've seen what getting a "name" can look like.  Sampson was similar.  The only swing for the fences guy I know of who would fit in my opinion is Stevens.

Donovan IMO also fits the criteria and could unite the fans, maybe overnight. But he's almost as unobtainable, sadly, as Brad is--especially THIS year. A year from now, if Westbrook heads back to the West Coast, could be a different story with Billy. I wouldn't be shocked to see an A.D. like Jurich or Barnhart be able to hire him away from OKC if that franchise slips out of the playoffs down the road.

I just don't see Glass being comfortable with a guy like Marshall. Also don't see Bennett or S. Miller being seriously interested now. Few never has been interested.

That basically leaves a bunch of guys with promise, but who haven't actually done as much yet as Crean had when IU hired him. This whole thing is shaping up as a career-making or career-breaking decision for Glass.

Haven't posted here in a long time. I've been reading though.

Take this fwiw, my father in law in Baton Rouge read a report from some source down there that LSU wants to pursue Crean.

I have no idea how reliable that source is. I think LSU would be a great for for him.

Sent from my LG-D850 using BtownBanners mobile app

Welcome back. LSU would be a nice gig for him. I'd follow how he's doing down at LSU for sure.

Basically, any non basketball school would be a perfect match for Crean.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

2 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Haven't posted here in a long time. I've been reading though.

Take this fwiw, my father in law in Baton Rouge read a report from some source down there that LSU wants to pursue Crean.

I have no idea how reliable that source is. I think LSU would be a great for for him.

Sent from my LG-D850 using BtownBanners mobile app

I agree. Crean at a football school would be an ideal scenario for him

9 minutes ago, sierracoach said:

Donovan IMO also fits the criteria and could unite the fans, maybe overnight. But he's almost as unobtainable, sadly, as Brad is--especially THIS year. A year from now, if Westbrook heads back to the West Coast, could be a different story with Billy. I wouldn't be shocked to see an A.D. like Jurich or Barnhart be able to hire him away from OKC if that franchise slips out of the playoffs down the road.

I just don't see Glass being comfortable with a guy like Marshall. Also don't see Bennett or S. Miller being seriously interested now. Few never has been interested.

That basically leaves a bunch of guys with promise, but who haven't actually done as much yet as Crean had when IU hired him. This whole thing is shaping up as a career-making or career-breaking decision for Glass.

It's funny because I visit the Scout site some and they have convinced themselves that Donovan wants to come here and, if he doesn't, it will be Fred Glass' fault.  It's amazing what groupthink can do to a fan base.

I would think that he is also trying to find a place his son could play baseball. That might make some places a little more complicated.

I wonder if NC State is a good fit. Their current coach took them to the tourney his first two years then misses the next two. This year he had a very good recruiting class but they struggled because they were young. Sound familiar?