Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

1 minute ago, WayneFleekHoosier said:

He has it made. He recruits like a high major and plays a mid major schedule. Only about 10 tough games per year. It's like Ariemma at UConn Women's. They don't want the challenge of the next stop because it's not worth the risk to them.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I guess what I'm thinking is that a lot of coaches have that desire to see how they will do on the biggest stage and want to scratch that itch. Not all, but it's surprised me that his name is rarely even mentioned (not saying it's realistic he would come) because of all the success he has had.

He certainly could. Many "media" types argue he should. I won't be surprised to see it happen tbh. If it does, Crean will pray all off season for a miracle year next year (he'll need it cuz roster stanks) and knowing his luck his praying will pay off. Rinse and repeat for 4-5 more years.

LMAO.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I listened to a Kent sterling and assembly call podcast this week. They both said he needs to go now. Guys like kravitz don't live in reality and will be crean homers until the end.

Sent from my SM-J700T using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, Hoosier Guy said:

That guy is a good HC but he'll stay at Gonzaga his entire career. It is strange but he's got it made so why leave? He's basically got a free pass to the NCAA tournament every year because that conference is so weak. Gonzaga is really the only good team year in and year out

Well, the same could be said for Greg Marshall and to a lesser extent Archie Miller. Why would anyone leave their comfortable job like that? Yet those names are always brought up for new positions, and not Few. Just thought it was weird

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Well, the same could be said for Greg Marshall and to a lesser extent Archie Miller. Why would anyone leave their comfortable job like that? Yet those names are always brought up for new positions, and not Few. Just thought it was weird

I can see that with Greg Marshall but not Archie Miller. Dayton has some competition to deal with in the A-10. Not near as much as a power conference but competition nonetheless

2 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

I can see that with Greg Marshall but not Archie Miller. Dayton has some competition to deal with in the A-10. Not near as much as a power conference but competition nonetheless

Oh definitely. There is more competition in the A10, but the expectations for Dayton are nothing like they would be at a job like IU. That's what I meant by being comfortable for Archie

1 minute ago, VO5 said:

Oh definitely. There is more competition in the A10, but the expectations for Dayton are nothing like that would be at a job like IU. That's what I meant by being comfortable for Archie

Absolutely. Expectations at most schools are nothing compared to expectations at IU

34 minutes ago, VO5 said:

Putting myself in Bennett's shoes, I could definitely see how IU would leave a sour taste in my mouth after what went down with his sister. We're definitely biased about being the best job he could land, and who knows, he may love it at Virginia and be a lifer. Money doesn't always talk for some people if they're in a comfortable situation.

I think the increased recruiting budgets and salaries for assistants are a lot of the time the biggest draw when coaches move up a job tier. 

But don't get me wrong not saying it's an easy sell but Glass needs to get his act together a baseball and football team that aren't laughing stocks anymore doesnt make up for a basketball team that's hot garbage more often than not. 

This hire needs to be directly tied to Glass and his continued employment

Still out on the recruiting trail, extending offers as recently as yesterday....

Maybe this is the norm, It would seem to me he wouldn't be doing this if he thought for sure he wouldn't be here next year? Or maybe he would and then try to recruit the kid(s) to go wherever he ends up? I can see continuing the relationships etc, but actually making offers to a kid to play at a school that you are not going to be at the next season... Unless he feels he will still be here?

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

I think the increased recruiting budgets and salaries for assistants are a lot of the time the biggest draw when coaches move up a job tier. 

But don't get me wrong not saying it's an easy sell but Glass needs to get his act together a baseball and football team that aren't laughing stocks anymore doesnt make up for a basketball team that's hot garbage more often than not. 

This hire needs to be directly tied to Glass and his continued employment

I agree, however, jobs like Virginia are starting to pay better (already making millions) and good coaches can leverage themselves with other job openings to get their assistants paid. I think we'll start to see this as a consistent trend, where money doesn't matter quite as much anymore and it comes down to personal fit.

As far as Glass goes, I agree. Revenue is up, but I'm inclined to think a lot of that is BIG money we get from football and basketball. I'm not very knowledgeable on this subject, but I would think most ADs could up our revenue with the way TV deals are going in major conferences. Could be wrong there. Glass has also had the Miller situation and Wilson situation. Both red flags for me. If he botches this hire, it absolutely has to fall back on him and we need to question if Glass is the right AD. 

10 minutes ago, Hoosier Guy said:

Absolutely. Expectations at most schools are nothing compared to expectations at IU

And this is why it's Indiana. Glass has to get it right and creaning Crean is the start. I really believe Miller is ready for prime time, and could be the next Bobby knight. If he's not, that's always a risk. We just can't keep going along with no banners in sight.

As bad as I want crean gone, which believe me is bad, I will not be surprised if he is back next year. Unless IU has a good idea they can get one of the guys on everyone's list, you risk letting him go and hiring some one you didn't necessarily want for a, let's say 3-4 year trial and fire him if he fails and now we're back where we were before Crean. Also, the way next year is looking it will more than likely be worse than this year so hay should get the hot seat talk really going on a national level and I would think help open the ears of some coaches.

Again I know there's still a lot to play out for this season still and I would hope there are already birds in some ears to get some feelers on who we can realistically get after this season. I want tom crean gone as much as everyone else, just want to make sure we do our homework and get rid of him the right way and not have to go through another trial coach. Just my two cents, I'm sure there will be lots of disagreement, hopefully it brings on a good discussion.

2 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

As bad as I want crean gone, which believe me is bad, I will not be surprised if he is back next year. Unless IU has a good idea they can get one of the guys on everyone's list, you risk letting him go and hiring some one you didn't necessarily want for a, let's say 3-4 year trial and fire him if he fails and now we're back where we were before Crean. Also, the way next year is looking it will more than likely be worse than this year so hay should get the hot seat talk really going on a national level and I would think help open the ears of some coaches.

Again I know there's still a lot to play out for this season still and I would hope there are already birds in some ears to get some feelers on who we can realistically get after this season. I want tom crean gone as much as everyone else, just want to make sure we do our homework and get rid of him the right way and not have to go through another trial coach. Just my two cents, I'm sure there will be lots of disagreement, hopefully it brings on a good discussion.

You cant rationalize keeping a guy for that reason. You don't stay in s bad relationship because you might not find somebody better. You have to try. 

4 minutes ago, Jeff_Boy_Ardee said:

I just see no reason to delay the inevitable. Im trying to give Glass the benefit of the doubt but it he were to force us to go through another year of misery Im going to be extremely upset with him.