Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

39 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

On the Seth Davis podcast, Crean said we lost some kids in Indiana, because money changed hands. Izzo and MSU are the ones that have been taking a lot of our in state guys. I hate to think Izzo has turned dirty, but it seems to make sense.

Sent from my LGLS676 using BtownBanners mobile app

I think it's a lot more likely that Crean lost Indiana kids because they thought he was a weirdo than because Izzo started paying players. MSU was already doing so well, I don't think he would need to resort to that. 

35 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

On the Seth Davis podcast, Crean said we lost some kids in Indiana, because money changed hands. Izzo and MSU are the ones that have been taking a lot of our in state guys. I hate to think Izzo has turned dirty, but it seems to make sense.

FWIW...over the past few years Izzo has also cited losing players because he wouldn't pay when others would.

I imagine that Trey Lyles is in the front of FCTC's mind on this topic.

FWIW...over the past few years Izzo has also cited losing players because he wouldn't pay when others would.
I imagine that Trey Lyles is in the front of FCTC's mind on this topic.

Izzo made it a campaign for a few years. After his recruiting dipped for a bit until recently when he started landing top recruits again. It would be interesting to know all the details.

52 minutes ago, Yogi's Picnic Basket said:

Excuses, excuses, excuses!  Not sure how recent this podcast was but Crean needs to go ahead and ZIP IT!

I have to admit, while I thought it was time to make a change in the IU program, I always defended Crean. I thought the criticism of his coaching was fair game, but thought the constant harping on the pacing on the sidelines, the clapping, the gum-chewing, the Diet Coke obsession was -- I don't know -- a little childish. But I just listened to the Seth David podcast -- hadn't heard it before -- and I'm getting a little tired of the dude.

I have great respect for what he did in the first three seasons, considering what he was left with, and how he got things rolling after that. But he wanted a reset after Cody and Vic left? C'mon, that's crazy. First of all, as a coach who's been with these kids day in and day out, he should've seen that coming -- that there was the possibility they would leave. Second of all, if you wanna run a blue-blood program, you don't get resets. You keep the ball rolling. I don't think anybody expected to contend for an NCAA title the year after those two left, but you don't expect 17-15, seventh in the B1G and no postseason, either. 

And back to the Cody-Vic season. He said Hulls got hurt in the Temple game and was severely limited against Syracuse and that really hampered their chances. That's why you don't have just one pure shooter on your roster. He had another -- Matt Roth, who had another year of eligibility -- available, but cut him loose. We weren't gonna beat Syracuse anyway because that game was over before it even started -- Crean was scared to death of that zone. During that game, I kept thinking, "Boy, a guy like Matt Roth might be able to make a difference here." 

Oh, and if Seth Davis had any chops as an interviewer, he would've pressed Crean when he said there were some Indiana kids he didn't get because money changed hands. But he was more concerned with making it a love-fest. You've GOT to follow that up. ... I felt like Crean handled himself with class during the Dakich interview, but he sure sounded like a whiny fusspot when he spoke with Davis. 

Why would Seth Davis follow that up? Everyone and their brother knows lots of money changes hands but they don't want to open that can of worms.

We all know Crean isn't a great coach and didn't fit. The 9 years show that fact. However, if Crean had taken that '13 team farther in the tourney he would have been given a chance for a slight reset. There are plenty of coaches getting it done without buying players. He prefers to make excuses at every chance possible. It's annoying and further demonstrates why he is FCTC.

16 minutes ago, LamarCheeks said:

have great respect for what he did in the first three seasons, considering what he was left with, and how he got things rolling after that. But he wanted a reset after Cody and Vic left? C'mon, that's crazy. First of all, as a coach who's been with these kids day in and day out, he should've seen that coming -- that there was the possibility they would leave. Second of all, if you wanna run a blue-blood program, you don't get resets. You keep the ball rolling. I don't think anybody expected to contend for an NCAA title the year after those two left, but you don't expect 17-15, seventh in the B1G and no postseason, either.

I am amazed at how blind or ignorant Tom Crean is/was of the facts...

With all of the chatter about the coaching situation at IU, with all the speculation about the end of the Crean era, the refusal of Glass to extend Crean... the rumors about the imminent coaching change... and Crean honestly had no idea that the end was near?

Now this comment about being with Cody/Vic every day and having no clue that they were leaving, or having no contingency in place in the event they did... and a similar situation with Noah Vonleh...

Add to that the absolute CF that The Movement was (save Yogi)...

You have to wonder about Crean's ability to read the situation... perhaps that was also a factor in his inability to make in-game changes and adapt to the game as it unfolds.

12 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

Why would Seth Davis follow that up? Everyone and their brother knows lots of money changes hands but they don't want to open that can of worms.

You follow it up because you're supposed to be a journalist. I'm guessing that right after Crean said that, plenty of legitimate interviewers would've said: "Whoa. Let's back up a minute here. You're claiming you lost Indiana players because money changed hands. Let's have some examples ..." I'm sure Crean would have balked, but that question definitely needed to be asked. 

You follow it up because you're supposed to be a journalist. I'm guessing that right after Crean said that, plenty of legitimate interviewers would've said: "Whoa. Let's back up a minute here. You're claiming you lost Indiana players because money changed hands. Let's have some examples ..." I'm sure Crean would have balked, but that question definitely needed to be asked. 

There would be less than a 0% chance of Crean saying anything. Seth Davis knows it, Crean knows it, you know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. Why waste precious air over it? It would be the equivalent of JS asking Emma Watson for a date. Sure, ask the question for shots and giggles but it ain't happening. If Seth Davis is half the journalist he thinks he is he knows that it happens a lot and you don't talk about it.

3 minutes ago, HoosierAloha said:

There would be less than a 0% chance of Crean saying anything. Seth Davis knows it, Crean knows it, you know it, I know it, the whole world knows it. Why waste precious air over it? It would be the equivalent of JS asking Emma Watson for a date. Sure, ask the question for shots and giggles but it ain't happening. If Seth Davis is half the journalist he thinks he is he knows that it happens a lot and you don't talk about it.

You still ask the question. If you're a journalist, that is. 

Who knows if this is true or just another excuse.

Sent from my iPad using BtownBanners mobile app

For everyone still trying to bash Crean and say his kindness is an act to manipulate those around him... here's an interesting article from Doyel:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2017/03/31/doyel-compassionate-tom-crean-not-cartoon-character-you-think-he/99863548/

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app