Thanks for visiting BtownBanners.com!  We noticed you have AdBlock enabled.  While ads can be annoying, we utilize them to provide these forums free of charge to you!  Please consider removing your AdBlock for BtownBanners or consider signing up to donate and help BtownBanners stay alive!  Thank you!

jdailey1981

TOM CREAN FIRED

I've been saying he deserves until the end of next season before we seriously look at other candidates. This all being said I am not very happy about what I perceive to be as mediocrity, and my fear is that this is going to continue with Crean. This is IU basketball, mediocrity should never been seen as acceptable.  

Personally with his buy out I see no chance he's fired this year. I think if he flops again next season then it's time to show him the door.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners mobile app

This is where I am.  

I just can't be optimistic about next year based on the little I know thus far. No bigs, doesn't seem like a lot of depth... I don't see next year being any better than this past one

I don't have much faith in next year either based on your concerns, but I think he has earned next year.  

I don't have much faith in next year either based on your concerns, but I think he has earned next year.  

Yea, I could see that. He did get this program out from the utter terrible state it was in. IU can't become a revolving door for coaches. 

Ultimately I agree and think next year he will flop and IU will be looking for a new MBB coach. Lets hope it works out!

Contrary to popular belief I'd me amendable to firing Crean. If Crean seriously improved his in game coaching and I mean huge improvements I'd back off of it. Unfortunately he's done nothing to show me that'll ever happen.

One year could be a fluke. Three is a trend....

I have always believe you can't judge a coach until he establishes his style. I believe it takes 5 years to get the right recruits to run your system. I give Crean a pass until the UK game. He was rebuilding. A lot of those recruits were but weren't his. Now, they are all his. So, I give him 2 more years. Same ol' same ol', need to start to look elsewhere.

Two words of thought about firing a coach:

Firing a coach early in his tenure at your school shows a lack of stability. This can be use in negative recruiting.

Second , if you fire your coach, you better darn well know the next one can be better.

Sent from my iPhone using BtownBanners

I wouldn't be upset if he went now, and I would understand if her were given another year. My frustration with Crean started last year this year was just the fruition of my concerns. Last years team had the players, the mixture of experience and youth and the Sweet 16 was the best it could do? No improvement from the year before with the personnel IU had was a failure!

This year had promise, but totally disagreed with the pre-conference scheduling then no real improvement overall? This is IU, it is expected to be a contender EVERY year! If there is a coach available this year that would have the confidence of the University who wouldn't be available next year, fire him, if not stand pat until there is a plan! Unfortunately, I have become accustomed to disappointment,

Tom Crean's record at IU

2008-2009: 6-25 - understandable with the mess the team was

2009-2010: 10-21 - OK Rome wasn't built in a day 

2010-2011: 12-20 - team is getting better, between sanctions and what he had to work with can't really complain

2011-2012: 27-9 - WOW! Is Indiana is back? Definitely starting to look like it!

2012-2013: 29-7 - Cool. Underwhelming, but not half bad. 

2013-2013: 17-15 -  :o WTF? Season should've gone a lot differently.

Consider this against his body of work at Marquette (190-96) One Final Four appearance with Dwayne Wade and otherwise never better than Second Round. 

So you see, considering Wade's year at Marquette as an outlier, IU hired a guy who had not a lot of success and who's program was trending flat. At Marquette, Crean started OK, Good, similar to our WTF season this year for three years, then two marginally better years. 

This makes me feel not very confident in his ability to take us beyond a Sweet 16, maybe an Elite 8. However, I will say after looking it over he is undoubtedly deserving of next year and MAYBE the year after that.

Much of my frustration as a fan was during the season before Zeller got here.  That was really the first year in the half court I noticed issues.  Those issues were the source of many debates over the last 4 years.  Crean's offense is built for players to make plays.  The problem with that premise at times you have players trying to do too much trying to improve their stock.  If you don't have a group that is very smart, and tight you get what you got this year for us.  Defensively, I think he tries over thinking things.  The UM game this year is what happens when the stars align.  You give them something they have never seen.  But why do we always have to do that on that end?  Why can't we get our players to understand assignments and what to do when different situations happen?  

Both ends of the court are like a Technical Calculus class.  Hard.  Very hard.  You can pass, but you won't do great unless the stars align.  At the offensive end we must score in the first 5-10 seconds.  If not there is a lot of confusion when there is a defender in front of the offensive player.  I would personally prefer Crean to run some form of the flex we ran at UM.  That was beautiful.  I don't think we will have the basketball IQ on a consistent enough level to run a motion.  If we do, then it is on Crean confusing them.  I think we have the athleticism to dive to the rim, while having the shooters pop out typically.  We don't use our bigs in the post.  I like getting smart bigs who could get the ball at the free throw line and have people cut off of that.  I just like having options that have players getting to the rim.  It just opens up so much without dribbling nonstop.  I am of the mind that the leash is shorter than we expected heading into next year.  I also think it would be best for Crean for us to not make the NIT.  If we have another bad outing after how this season went/ended, it wouldn't be good for him.  

How much is his buy out? If you KNOW a coach has reached his potential then there is no reason to keep him. Move on before you put the program further behind the 8 ball.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BtownBanners mobile app

How much is his buy out? If you KNOW a coach has reached his potential then there is no reason to keep him. Move on before you put the program further behind the 8 ball.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using BtownBanners mobile app

CTC's buyout? 14 mil. 12 mil after July 1st.

Congrats to Steve Alford  for winning the PacTen tournament and getting an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in His 1st year there. This once again proves how stupid IU is for not hiring Him. Lets review, Head Coaches since Bob Knight: Mike Davis, Dan Dakich, Calvin Sampson and now Tom Crean. None of these guys compare to IU grad and National Champion STEVE ALFORD.

Congrats to Steve Alford  for winning the PacTen tournament and getting an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament in His 1st year there. This once again proves how stupid IU is for not hiring Him. Lets review, Head Coaches since Bob Knight: Mike Davis, Dan Dakich, Calvin Sampson and now Tom Crean. None of these guys compare to IU grad and National Champion STEVE ALFORD.

If he makes it past the Sweet 16 this year, maybe there is a reason to start looking his way. However, his coaching up to this point has had good results, but not great. And he seems to be a early out come tourney time. And as coaches, yes they all compare to or have better results that Alford.

....... There is a thread made out for Steve Alford. Do find it hilarious that people are going to whine and moan about Crean's limited postseason success then they easily gloss over the fact that Alford is horrible in the NCAA tournament. 

....... There is a thread made out for Steve Alford. Do find it hilarious that people are going to whine and moan about Crean's limited postseason success then they easily gloss over the fact that Alford is horrible in the NCAA tournament. 

Whatever fits your cause I guess.  Crean is underwhelming, but has done more at a younger age than Alford.  

If you had to bet your house on one, which would you go with?  In the next 10 years CTC will win a National championship here, or he won't.  I'm pretty sure with all of his shortcomings I've seen trending the past 6 years, I will bet on the latter.  I think I have a better chance of winning the billion dollar bracket challenge this year!

[quote name="Mongo" post="48433" timestamp="1395004402"]I think it would be a bad mistake to get rid of Tom Crean after he got the program back to where it used to be[/quote]

What do you mean where it used to be?